Africa Packing

Ficbom

FNG
An inflatable seat cushion helped on the flight and in the blind (packs up small). You don’t need a lot of clothes (daily laundry) but the weather can change a lot. We started with high of 50* and two days later it was nearly 100*. Eye drops were popular, lots of blowing dust. I don’t think I touched my binos while hunting, it was mostly thick brush. Did use them for sightseeing later. Be sure to pack a bigger budget…. I went in with a plan, came out with a bigger bill than expected!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I took meds along with me for tick fever. I took the strong spray that typically kills ticks when make contact to your clothes. Found dead ticks and no live ones. Took Imodium along. Eyeglass wipes. Sunglasses. Pad to sit on in a blind. Pack a positive outlook and know that curve balls will happen but they make the journey memorable. Good move on Africa Sky though the driver they sent was late, was in street clothes with no Africa Sky logo and no whiteboard with my name so after interacting with a dozen grifters beyond the safe Customs Zone . The driver showed eventually and then shoved a pickpocket out of the elevator as we were headed to the garage. The airport is full of grifters, pickpockets and a few violent criminals that will cause you harm if are encountered as walk out of the Main Hall of the airport. Zero visible security in the Main Hall. Highly dysfunctional but welcome to South Africa. I wore a neck pouch and some money was in my shoe.

2531usmc

WKR
I took meds along with me for tick fever. I took the strong spray that typically kills ticks when make contact to your clothes. Found dead ticks and no live ones. Took Imodium along. Eyeglass wipes. Sunglasses. Pad to sit on in a blind. Pack a positive outlook and know that curve balls will happen but they make the journey memorable. Good move on Africa Sky though the driver they sent was late, was in street clothes with no Africa Sky logo and no whiteboard with my name so after interacting with a dozen grifters beyond the safe Customs Zone . The driver showed eventually and then shoved a pickpocket out of the elevator as we were headed to the garage. The airport is full of grifters, pickpockets and a few violent criminals that will cause you harm if are encountered as walk out of the Main Hall of the airport. Zero visible security in the Main Hall. Highly dysfunctional but welcome to South Africa. I wore a neck pouch and some money was in my shoe.
Yeah, as a general statement I never felt safe or comfortable in South Africa, I’ve travelled all over the world with work and never felt the unease like I did there.

Our PHs sat around the fire drinking beer and talked constantly about the rising social chaos.

Walking from the international terminal to the domestic terminal at the Joburg airport was an adventure in itself

Huntndog

FNG
Rather than rain gear I took an old hunting jacket with a zip out liner jacket. That way., I had the shell as a rain jacket,the inner jacket for cool mornings and both together if necessary.

Huntndog

FNG
You will also find , I fear ,that the cost of sending trophies home is outrageous right now. Many are opting for pictures rather than taxidermy. It also can take a loooong time and incur many fees before you are sitting in your den sipping a drink and staring at your african trophies.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
You need way less clothes than you think. Your laundry is done daily. I would take two outfits total. Then a few layers for mornings when it is cool.

I would only take one pair of boots. If those fail, use your tennis shoes. The chance of boots failing are so low

wyogoat

WKR
Ambien. That jet lag is real. I was a mess the first couple days…sleeping hard in the blind. Think about your sleep pattern on the flight to be adjusted as best you can for the first day.

Sinistram

FNG
Super jealous of your first time. Wish I could relive that again; cherish the good and the bad!!

Brought and didn't need: two pairs of sunglasses. Wore the same one the whole time and never took the other one out of the case. Not huge, but still.

Didn't bring and could have used: Something for protecting my neck from the sun. It is no joke over there, and sunburn is the stupidest thing to impair a hunt. SPF 50 is the default. Also, those hydration powder packs you put in water. From the plane ride over there to the back of the truck, they're essential.

A tad unrelated to your original question but inline with what others have said - Joberg is a sh*t hole. Trust no one and get out of there as fast as you can.