Africa Packing

Tell me one thing you needed and didn't have and one thing you took but didn't need.

Leaving Tuesday morning on first trip over

WBT

FNG
I'm answering your question in an indirect way. I was in Tanzania a couple years ago and missed a chip shot on a giant kudu. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that my scope was slipping in its rings. Fortunately, I had brought a set of Fix-it-Sticks with a torque wrench and all the necessary Torx bits. I was able to get everything squared away for the rest of my trip. Without that tool I would have been SOL. I highly recommend.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I regret not taking a bottle of my own bourbon. Good bourbon there is jack or jim. They drink mostly brandy and I dont dig brandy. The gin was tolerable. You can import a liter duty free.

Brush pants is the only thing clothes wise.

Huntndog

FNG
In my experience it is not necessary to take many clothes. Most camps do laundry daily . They also iron and bleach things harshly, so I wouldnt take anything I wasn’t willing to get ruined.

Reactions: 686

Huntndog

FNG
I use a passport wallet instead of a regular wallet and put copies of all important papers in my checked bag. I keep passport in front pocket at all times.
If you are in Johannesburg do not assume that someone in uniform is an official and do not trust the police . If anyone does ANYTHING for you in the airport they will want a tip.

I didn’t take rain gear as I was told it never rains in South Africa at this time of year. Sure enough I hunted in a cold rain one day.

I took 60 rounds of ammo for both of my rifles and that was way too much. I fired less than 20 rounds total.

2531usmc

WKR
In my experience it is not necessary to take many clothes. Most camps do laundry daily . They also iron and bleach things harshly, so I wouldnt take anything I wasn’t willing to get ruined.
And when they wash your skivvies, they hang them on a clothes line to dry. Everybody sees them. So if your whitey tighties have holes and skid marks you don’t want the whole camp to see, bring new ones

2531usmc

WKR
I use a passport wallet instead of a regular wallet and put copies of all important papers in my checked bag. I keep passport in front pocket at all times.
If you are in Johannesburg do not assume that someone in uniform is an official and do not trust the police . If anyone does ANYTHING for you in the airport they will want a tip.
I thought the firearm transfer service was worth every penny

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

This is good advice.
Do not trust the police or anyone in a uniform.

I would add
Dont get in a car in you didnt summon. Especially in J-burg.

OP
O
I'm answering your question in an indirect way. I was in Tanzania a couple years ago and missed a chip shot on a giant kudu. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that my scope was slipping in its rings. Fortunately, I had brought a set of Fix-it-Sticks with a torque wrench and all the necessary Torx bits. I was able to get everything squared away for the rest of my trip. Without that tool I would have been SOL. I highly recommend.
Fix It Stix repair kit is packed

OP
O
I didn’t take rain gear as I was told it never rains in South Africa at this time of year. Sure enough I hunted in a cold rain one day.

I took 60 rounds of ammo for both of my rifles and that was way too much. I fired less than 20 rounds total.
Rain Coat Packed

OP
O

I damn sure hope the 80 rds I am taking is way more than enough. Only reason I am bringing that much is on the chance I have to resight in and have major issues.

OP
O
I considered this but having ALL my items, CC, Cash, Passport in one basket gave me concerns. So Wallet and Passport in separate pockets.

Multiple Copies of all paper work including copies of passports in different bags.

prm

WKR
Less clothes

Good camera - take lots of pics. I would consider good framed pics of trip/ animals over taxidermy. Shoot more animals with money saved.

Edge

FNG
Permethrin spray / soak all clothes before you go and take bug spray / lotion and sun block.

Advil PM meds to help you sleep.

Small note book and take a few minutes and write down your thoughts or type them into your phone. Take a few extra cheap pens, have had to furnish my own pens to the officials in Zimbabwe for entry paperwork!

Patience…it’s Africa and enjoy!

Small bags of peanuts and sweets for trackers and staff.

Chase0109

FNG
I assume you’re hunting in South Africa. I hunted Mozambique last year, so I’m not sure if it correlates to South Africa. But plan to take anything you think you will need, as at least in Mozambique there is no going to the store to get something lol.

Mainly meds. I brought a small amount of cold medicine DayQuil pills with me. I caught a bug on the flight over and had to ration what I had. Made it work and had an amazing hunt. But this year I will definitely be packing plenty of cold medicine/cough drops/ibuprofen/Aleve/Pepto-Bismol chew/etc. Very little space and weight and can make a huge difference how much you enjoy your hunt.

Depending on the type of hunt you’re doing, I would suggest bringing some Leuko tape with you. Also a pair of camp shoes for relaxing at night.

Can’t think of anything I took that I wouldn’t take again. But in general, most people overpack on clothing. If you think of it like a backpack Hunt clothing wise and pack accordingly you won’t bring too much with you.

Chase

ODB

WKR
DiaResQ. This is a colostrum-based stomach treatment mainly aimed to prevent diarrhea. I woke up one morning in Kenya doing the two-step and it worked well to get me back on track. Cheap, easy to use and for me, at least, it worked well.

WCB

WKR
We brought them but things guys over look...light gloves, a beanie, and jacket for the mornings and evenings. Even more so if traveling in open sided vehicle...Sun block again riding all day in open vehicle or tracking all day.

And by the looks of some...an extra rifle. Who travels across the globe with one rifle?