Africa Hunts

I am starting to look at hunting Africa. While I am working through past posts on Africa, what countries should I look at, outfitters/PH's? I have traveled some time to hunt in the US but never overseas. What are things that I should consider? TIA.

South Africa seems to be the most popular first trip choice by far.

Some things to consider:

1. Fenced vs free range
2. Plains game or Dangerous Game
3. Exportable vs Non-exportable species

FNG
My thoughts:

Africahunting.com is a great resource. The “Deals and Offers” section has tons of outfitters listings, and some specials (cancellations, cull hunts, etc. than can save some serious $). Also tons of planning info on that site.

The logistics can be the most challenging thing.

An outfitter that is within driving distance to the Johannesburg airport in South Africa makes things a lot easier. Flying Delta 200 from Atlanta to Joburg and then having your outfitter pick you up is great. Fly to Atlanta the day before your Delta 200 flight to make sure your bags/gun/bow make it on the flight to Joburg.

Almost all South African hunting is behind high fence, but most of the ranches are big, so it isn’t really an issue unless it’s an issue for you. Ask the outfitter how big the places he hunts are if you have a minimum acre size you’d like to be over.

A seven day hunt is a great time, not rushed, not too long away from home.

A mixed bag plains game safari is a great way to start.

It’s nice to have a few species you’re targeting and then have the budget to be a little opportunistic.

Mix up the hunting styles - drive around in the high rack, spot and stalk, sit around a water hole, spotlight for pigs/predators, there can be good wing shooting as well; lots of fun things to do and lots of beautiful country to see. This is why I think rifle hunting is a good way to go at least for a first safari.

WCB

WKR
S.A. and Namibia are the two most popular. As above...do yo mind fenced? to what degree or what size. What animals are you interested in...etc.

Cynoscion

WKR
I’ve hunted Africa many times and have enjoyed every trip to every country even though each place has its pros and cons. I think everyone who goes should experience “real” Africa. No fences, no running water, no electricity, lions and hyenas in camp, etc. I recommend Mozambique and Mashambanzou Safaris, Grant Taylor, will take excellent care of you.

CHGray

FNG
Classified Approved
Can’t recommend Lindile Safaris in South Africa enough. Just got back last Sunday. They’ll put you on high quality animals and their setup and service are top notch.

Message me if you want to discuss.

“The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa, because he has so much to look forward to.” Richard Mullin.

Check out and join Africa Hunting Forum. Similar to this site. Great information and friendly members. I am returning in a couple of years for my 5th trip to the Dark Continent.

Don’t get hooked - you’ll never retire! Good luck and enjoy the ride, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Samson7x

WKR
Definitely join africahunting.com. Tons of info there and verified outfitters with reviews from other members. Most common places will be SA and Namibia for first timers. These will also be the most affordable. Most outfitters will have package deals for plains game. The flight sucks so be prepared for that. Delta from ATL to JNB seems to be the most common and quickest route. I rented a rifle from my PH but there are companies who will handle all the paperwork for you if you don’t want any fuss. Pack less than you think you need. Laundry is done daily for most outfitters in SA. I took a carry on only for 8 days of hunting. You will be hooked after your first trip. I immediately started planning a 2nd upon my return.

gbflyer

WKR
I have not gone, just a dreamer. I will third the Africa Hunting site. Great people and great resource. The owner is kinda petty if you ask me, doesn’t allow linking outside. His house his rules I guess.

ODB

WKR
I have not gone, just a dreamer. I will third the Africa Hunting site. Great people and great resource. The owner is kinda petty if you ask me, doesn’t allow linking outside. His house his rules I guess.

All about the sponsors.... i;ve had many posts redacted... have met some neat people though...

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 375, 416, 458 and a double on the way.

All I need to do now is let them stretch their legs in Africa.
Most first African hunts are usually just for a variety of Plains Game animals. Your .30-06, .300 or 7mm mag rifles are fine for the PG animals. The .375 is the minimum caliber for most Dangerous Game, but it's recoil can be a little much for 1st time African hunters, and its power isn't really needed for most PG animals.

I took a 7mm Rem mag on my first South African hunt, and it was fine for everything that I hunted from a Bushbuck to Kudu. I bought a .375 RUM for my 2nd trip because I wanted to hunt a Buffalo, and also took my 7mm RM. Taking more than 1 gun can sometimes be more touble than its worth, so I only took my .375 RUM on my 3rd trip which was only for PG, but I've shot that rifle enough that I'm even comfortable with it shooting prone. On my last 3 African hunts, 1 in South Africa and 2 in Mozambique, I only took my .300 Weatherby.

Be very familiar with whatever rife that you're taking, and practice, practice, practice with it before you go. Also practice shooting off sticks, 3 legs are more steady than 2.

Make a realistic list of the animals that you want to hunt, and bring enough $$ for additional animals of opportunity.

I like a 10 day hunt much better than 5 or 7 days, especially if you do any traveling to different properties or do any sightseeing.

A meet and greet service at the Joberg airport greatly helps getting your Firearms Permit and reduces other hassles there.