Affordable Pack for First Season of Baiting

I'm baiting for the first time this spring and I was looking for some tips on hauling bait barrels and bait. I shouldn't be going more than 1.5 miles and I don't have any crazy elevation gains. I currently have a pretty old MR internal frame that I don't really think would work well. I also have a smallish ice fish sled that would make it interesting. Do most guys use external frame hauler style packs to move barrels and bait?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Personally never done it, but seen several guys using a F1 mainframe. Have the pack and it’s a solid choice.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I have the f1 mainframe from Eberlestock. Never hauled barrels but have packed out a few elk and deer. It is a solid pack for the money.

OP
B
Kelty Cachehauler. Bear baiting is dirty work, I wouldn’t be using my good back to haul the sticky stuff thats for sure.
That pack looks like it would work well and is more in my price range. I'll be on the lookout for a used one. Thanks for the info.

Peregrine

FNG
I'm baiting for the first time this spring and I was looking for some tips on hauling bait barrels and bait. I shouldn't be going more than 1.5 miles and I don't have any crazy elevation gains. I currently have a pretty old MR internal frame that I don't really think would work well. I also have a smallish ice fish sled that would make it interesting. Do most guys use external frame hauler style packs to move barrels and bait?
I live in Alabama and had good luck with a makeshift harness and pull a sled loaded with about 250# of feed. It pulls easy on grass, difficult on rocky creek crossing.

Terrapin

WKR
Used external pack frames with everything strapped to it. Bear baiting is nasty & you’ll get stuff on your pack that’ll never go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Used external pack frames with everything strapped to it. Bear baiting is nasty & you’ll get stuff on your pack that’ll never go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am definitely leaning towards using my ice fishing sled like @Peregrine described. There a lot of old external frame packs on eBay that would probably work pretty well. A lot of them are now going the "vintage" route but there were a few that could be had relatively cheap.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
The alps frames are relatively cheap, I know my local sportsman's has a healthy stock of sub $130 frames, it been been a minute but I wanna say the rustic ridge frames were going for like $60 ish ? Maybe that was on sale but still. I've seen folks use ice sleds or the cheap colorful kid sleds with the shallow walls. Yes it will get tore up from the floor up. But that's what it's purpose is. Get after it ol son

OP
B
The alps frames are relatively cheap, I know my local sportsman's has a healthy stock of sub $130 frames, it been been a minute but I wanna say the rustic ridge frames were going for like $60 ish ? Maybe that was on sale but still. I've seen folks use ice sleds or the cheap colorful kid sleds with the shallow walls. Yes it will get tore up from the floor up. But that's what it's purpose is. Get after it ol son
Thanks, I'll check those out as well. We keep getting more snow up where my site is. As soon as it melts I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm going with Walmart's finest Ol'Roy and I've picked up some castor, anise, liquid smoke, and I've got a line on some grease from my local Mexican joint.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I'll check those out as well. We keep getting more snow up where my site is. As soon as it melts I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm going with Walmart's finest Ol'Roy and I've picked up some castor, anise, liquid smoke, and I've got a line on some grease from my local Mexican joint.
I stopped using dog and swapped to popcorn. I would loot the movie theater dumpsters everyday before work and would still pop some at work and mix in melted marshmallows from the dollar store. I did get lucky and found someone whos freezer went out and got a bunch of old chicken and fish and through that in there. Also peanut butter, syrup and frosting. Also GREASE, GREASE, AND MORE GREASE.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about making a stink bucket. But being unsure if I would be baiting or have the time to. I decided against it, the wife and neighbors probably would have strung me up.