Affordable merino base and mid layers…

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I like all of the Black Ovid pieces I have, but I do find them a tad Itchy. Still good for the price.

My favorite so far is The midweight Minus33 baselayers. I actually like them better than the couple First Lite items I’ve tried. Very comfortable yet long lasting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have no problem paying top dollar for high end outerwear that needs to be built though, provide range of motion, work as advertised, be quiet and last…

However, $160 for some merino long Johns that never see light of day, the first briar, any wind or water, etc seems a little excessive.
My lightweight merino base layers are what keep me comfortable on a high-exertion hunt, so pretty important to me. I spend less on my mid layers and outer layers than I do on merino base layers. However, you can find decent merino for less money occasionally at STP, Costco, and other places if it goes on sale. A couple years ago Costco had their Karbon brand merino tops on sale for $9.99. They're cut a little weird (bind in the shoulders, big lower, and a little short) but they'll work for that price. I still have and use a Cabela's merino top in a Tall that I've been using every elk season since 2008. The collar and the cuffs are completely frayed but the rest of it is still hanging on. The bottoms look more like swiss cheese with all the holes, I retired those a few years ago.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve had merino from a bunch of different manufacturers over the years and the ones I have liked the best were Minus 33 and Kuiu. I got the minus33 on sale from a local sporting goods store and they are silky soft and have held up great. I recently bought a pair of the Kuiu zip offs, and that moment when you are hiking and realize you are overheating, pull over and in 30 seconds are stuffing your base layer bottoms in your ruck; priceless. LOL

Kuiu 145 for me has held up really well, and is super soft compared to some other merino. I have had bad luck with merino from Kryptek and from FirstLite and from IceBreaker and SmartWool. All of those ended up getting holes or wearing through in spots quicker than I would have expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jays

FNG
I got my pair of midweight merinos from Minus 33. kind of high dollar, but they have a large selection.