Affordable merino base and mid layers…

I have no problem paying top dollar for high end outerwear that needs to be built though, provide range of motion, work as advertised, be quiet and last…

However, $160 for some merino long Johns that never see light of day, the first briar, any wind or water, etc seems a little excessive.

Or maybe I’m missing something. ????? Anybody know of any quality base and / or mid-layers out there?

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
SKRE has some some merino base layers on clearance. Their Granite series had a mistake in the dye process and it has a blue hue. I picked up the 150gr merino shirt and pants because the animals aren't going to see them.

OP
P
SKRE has some some merino base layers on clearance. Their Granite series had a mistake in the dye process and it has a blue hue. I picked up the 150gr merino shirt and pants because the animals aren't going to see them.

Hahaha. Was just looking at this stuff. Guess I’m on the right track.

Ssmith6

FNG
Blackovis isnt quite the cheapest but with the elkshape coupon code it isnt too bad. Not as expensive as the kuiu, sitka, FL, etc

go_deep

WKR
I bought 4 shirts, 2 bottoms, and 2 will hats from SKRE on they're blue 60% discount sale, life everything i got.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Skre makes good stuff.
Check out Black Ovis on Camofire.
Sometimes you can find Smartwool on sale at Sierra Trading Post.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider

Pro953

WKR
While it does not need to be “bullet proof” like a shell. It’s a high friction piece and that will wear through fabric that is not durable. Thank cheesecloth briefs.

Also I am not sure that top dollar and durability go hand in hand. I have blown through some FL long John’s in one season. Might not be top dollar but I was hopeful to get more than a season out of them.

Also depends if you are looking at the ultra light wicking layers vs a heavier insulating merino base layer.

I like the light ones for summer hunting but durability sucks. The thicker merino lasts a lot longer for me.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider

use coupon code - LAYERS20 for 20% discount

those are 400, very thick and a bit more expensive, i get cold easily so i opted for 400g merino wool.
if you opt for lower 250/150g etc they are cheaper.

AKBorn

WKR
Like someone mentioned earlier, keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post. Good deals on base layers from time to time.

I've been picking up a few of the Black Ovis merino base layers when they pop up on CamoFire over the last few months and initial quality seems good. Can't report on long term durability yet.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
A base layer is something you will wear every day when you hunt (at least the top). I would rather spend extra money on something that I always have on rather than a piece or rain gear that sits in my pack 95% of the time, but that is just me. However, if you want to save some money, Costco frequently has a merino top for less than 20 bucks. It seems fine to me, but I never bought one. Regarding bottoms, pay the money and get merino zip offs from kuiu or FL. They are beyond convenient.

Gutshotem

WKR
Check to see if you or your spouse can qualify for a membership at expertvoice or expericity, or whatever their name is now. Minus 33° has a pretty good discount and they make quality merino.