Advice on OR Options

atmat

WKR
Hello, I've recently lost some weight and am looking into buying some new technical clothing. I prefer earth-tone solids, as I also hike, ski, etc. in my clothes during off season. I've had some OR gear in the past that I really enjoyed, and I get a 40% discount on their products -- so I started there in my search.

I already have my base layers, windshirt, heavyweight fleece, and puffy taken care of through other brands. I'm not stuck on OR or any one brand in particular, I'm just looking for the best deal and 40% off is pretty significant:

So far I'm leaning toward the following
  1. Vigor Full Zip Hooded Fleece as a lightweight midlayer that I could use as an outlayer early season in dry weather while active
  2. Vigor Bottoms as a midlayer bottom for cold days
  3. Vodoo pants as an all-around outter shell
  4. Helium Rain Jacket for rain
Does anyone have any experience with these items they can give feedback on? If there's other options out there that are better, I'm open to those as well (as long as it's reasonable price comparison). I receive a hefty discount on Stone Glacier as well, though their products are significantly more expensive.

Thanks so much!

I’m a big fan of the Vigor and I run the Helium rain jacket - lightweight and does a good job - I don’t hunt places where it’s really wet - might rain/snow 1 day out of the 7 I’m there. The Foray is also a great rain jacket if you are in a climate that is more wet

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I’m a big fan of the Vigor and I run the Helium rain jacket - lightweight and does a good job - I don’t hunt places where it’s really wet - might rain/snow 1 day out of the 7 I’m there. The Foray is also a great rain jacket if you are in a climate that is more wet
How does the vigor do with keeping out light wind and water? Have you tried the heavier model Vigor Plus?

I thought about the Foray, but I don’t spend a ton of time in the rain and didn’t want the 5oz weight penalty.

No experience with the vigor plus - cuts the wind decently but I use a Jetstream over if really windy - wouldn’t use it long in rain

P Carter

WKR
I have the helium rain jacket in loden.

I really liked it and was happily surprised at the performance. Kept me plenty dry during three days of on and off rain during archery this year. Dried quickly. I kept it on and hiked my whole system dry. There’s a small reflective strip around the jacket that I colored in with a sharpie. You can get it for cheap on sale, it’s a good one.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. Still looking for feedback if anyone has it!

sr80

WKR
ive got an older vigor half zip hoody which i like a lot. Ive been looking at their shadow insulated hoody and the superstrand hoodie. Both are a synthetic active insulation type jacket.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vigor hoody is good mid-layer, but has no wind resistance- it's a pretty open fleece grid fabric. With a light base layer I find it comfortable from ~25-50F (if you're really going hard, then a little lower).

Definitely want to pair it w/ a windshirt if wind is rolling.

The Helium is a decent rain jacket for times when you're not expecting lots of rain; if rain is very likely (and going to be sustained), then you want a full three layer rain jacket.

Not familiar with the others.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Vigor hoody is good mid-layer, but has no wind resistance- it's a pretty open fleece grid fabric. With a light base layer I find it comfortable from ~25-50F (if you're really going hard, then a little lower).

Definitely want to pair it w/ a windshirt if wind is rolling.

The Helium is a decent rain jacket for times when you're not expecting lots of rain; if rain is very likely (and going to be sustained), then you want a full three layer rain jacket.

Not familiar with the others.
Thanks! That’s helpful regarding Vigor. Any other midlayers that you’d recommend more?

I do have a Houdini I’m almost always wearing with wind. Figured that would help quite a bit while moving; then adding my puffy while glassing/sitting in any really cold temps.

It sounds like the Foray’s a better hardshell based on everyone’s feedback.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! That’s helpful regarding Vigor. Any other midlayers that you’d recommend more?

Not sure OR still has any active insulation pieces like their old Ascendant which was Polartec Alpha.

The Vigor also comes in a warmer iteration, might be worth looking at as well

Drenalin

WKR
I have the non-hooded Vigor Plus. It’s a little bulky for a midlayer, but very warm. Kind of a boxy fit though and a little short in the arms and torso. I’m honestly not a fan of any of their current offerings for midlayers, but that may partly be because the Sitka Heavyweight hoodie is about perfect for me. I did just find an Ascendant hoodie after a year of looking and I have high hopes for it.

I’m thinking about picking up a Helium for quick rain showers and to use as a wind shirt. I’ve had great luck with the Foray and will keep it for any time I’m looking at more than maybe a pop up shower, but would like to save those ounces in drier weather.

Someone mentioned the Shadow hoodie…I love that jacket. Use it almost daily in winter, whether I’m headed to work or to the woods. I wouldn’t call it an active layer…I’ve worn it on a cold hike, but felt like I wetted it out after a couple hours.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
I have the non-hooded Vigor Plus. It’s a little bulky for a midlayer, but very warm. Kind of a boxy fit though and a little short in the arms and torso. I’m honestly not a fan of any of their current offerings for midlayers, but that may partly be because the Sitka Heavyweight hoodie is about perfect for me. I did just find an Ascendant hoodie after a year of looking and I have high hopes for it.

I’m thinking about picking up a Helium for quick rain showers and to use as a wind shirt. I’ve had great luck with the Foray and will keep it for any time I’m looking at more than maybe a pop up shower, but would like to save those ounces in drier weather.

Someone mentioned the Shadow hoodie…I love that jacket. Use it almost daily in winter, whether I’m headed to work or to the woods. I wouldn’t call it an active layer…I’ve worn it on a cold hike, but felt like I wetted it out after a couple hours.
Thanks for the feedback on the vigor plus. I run super hot, so I’m thinking it’ll be too much for me.

I did look at the Shadow Hoodie, but seems like a piece that doesn’t excel in one particular. Honestly kinda reminded me of some of my older Patagonia soft shells. They’re awesome for daily wear but not great as a layering system.