Advice on buying Kifaru pack.

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a new pack. However I know nothing about Kifaru packs and frames. I'm 6'1 and looking to buy one for elk hunting. Around the 3500 Cubic In range. Can you guys please give me some advice and suggestions?

There are multiple options and it really depends on preference and intended use. The catch-all is probably a Tahr and 24" or 26" (depending on your torso length and preferences) Hunter Duplex. It will allow you to customize the outside to fit your needs. Now some people get overwhelmed and aren't the tinkering type and would prefer a pack that's going to work out of the box. If you're that type you may prefer the Mountain Warrior or DT2 or if you can find one a DT3 (discontinued). Really your best option would be to call and talk to Aron Snyder and he will talk to you about what you want to get out of it and make a recommendation. Aron's Cell: (720) 937-1418

tttoadman

WKR
If you are looking at Kifaru, the 3500 range is pretty small. These are primarily "in bag" meat haulers as opposed to load shelf designs. I can also tell you that with a grabit and a lid, any of the bags no matter how big compress to nothing in hunt mode. The bigger the bag you get, the less pockets and add ons you need which will ultimately keep the weight and cost down. All of my quick access day gear can usually fit in a lid.

I recently purchased a DT1 added a guide lid. When I started packing it up I immediately filled the pack to 3/4 full without food or water. Can't imagine packing for a 10 day trip with a smaller bag.

Thats 8k CI total.

There is a mountain warrior in the classifieds right now. Please buy it so I don't have to. I believe it comes in around 4800ci, but in my opinion, 3500ci is a little small. It compresses down well, and will expand enough to get 5-7 days worth of gear when you need it. As far as the frame goes, you can't beat the new duplex frame in any of the configurations.

7mag.

WKR
There are multiple options and it really depends on preference and intended use. The catch-all is probably a Tahr and 24" or 26" (depending on your torso length and preferences) Hunter Duplex. It will allow you to customize the outside to fit your needs. Now some people get overwhelmed and aren't the tinkering type and would prefer a pack that's going to work out of the box. If you're that type you may prefer the Mountain Warrior or DT2 or if you can find one a DT3 (discontinued). Really your best option would be to call and talk to Aron Snyder and he will talk to you about what you want to get out of it and make a recommendation. Aron's Cell: (720) 937-1418

I agree. Calling Aron is the best move you could make.

rbljack

WKR
1. call Aron at kifaru
2. Look in here for used packs and frames, and you can pick one up at a discount if you don't want the latest version. They came out with new frames not too long ago, and a lot of guys on here are upgrading.
3. Save up the $$$. I don't have a kifaru yet, but everything I hear for the most part says they are quality. But than again..you are going to have to pay for that quality....LOL.

RdRdrFan

WKR
I have recently been in your EXACT situation. Even down to the fact that I'm the same height and wanted a bag in the same size range. I looked at all of the bag options from Kifaru and didn't ever find the one that tripped my trigger. The closest I found to what I wanted was the Mountain Warrior. Then I stumbled onto SHTF's thread about putting a Kuiu Icon Pro bag on the new Kifaru frame. I went that direction and mounted an Icon Pro 3200 bag. Fits like they were made for one another. My buddy has the same pack with the Kuiu suspension so I was able to look over the bag before I took the leap. For me the setup is great and exactly what I was looking for.

RdRdrFan

WKR
One more thing, I wanted the best option for me. I was willing to pay for it. But going with the Kuiu bag saved some cash. That's not why I went that direction but it didn't hurt. I bought the bag during the January 15% off sale.

And I'll echo what I'm sure you already know, Kifaru's customer service is bad ass. Truly exceptional. To the point that I wish they made a bag that I like so I could have gone with it. I really appreciate great customer service and theirs is top notch.

OP, don't fear a large CI Kifaru bag for your needs. Their bags are designed to cinch and expand nicely for multiple purposes. I'm just as comfortable with my AMR in day mode as I am in dead hooker haul off mode.
dc1427861a5ceefa61d9f54c866770a2.jpg

6b1a761d19e1558c01d87d02870ac86a.jpg
c12631416175753f4e75773a15d36178.jpg

I recently bought an AMR for the specific purpose of long duration hunts. The more and more I mess with the more I think a nomad/grab it/guide lid would be the ultimate day pack and out you at 3900 CI plus whatever belt pouches and such you want. Attach the grab it in the high position for hauling meat and you're set.