What to watch out for in used trucks?

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone.

I recently moved to Washington State and I'm currently driving a Ford Fusion, so not the best for trying to get out and hunt. I'm looking at trucks and I can't really stomach $50k+ for a new truck, so I'm looking at used. Unfortunately, used trucks aren't priced that great right now either. What things should I look out for as common issues in used vehicles?

I'm specifically interested in this 2002 Silverado: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-low-mileage-2002-chevy/7522224137.html

Seems to be in pretty good shape, but $16k for a 20 year old truck seems like a lot. I want this purchase to last another 10 years.

Thanks for any advice!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Are you talking private party or dealership?

Start with carfax, obviously accident history but also number of owners and service records. If they’ve done all the oil changes and the 30/60/90k services that helps! I’d stay away from anything with aftermarket lifts, snorkels, bumpers etc. In a perfect world you’d buy a low mile, well maintained truck from a little old guy, rather than a used truck from a 25 year old kid that used it as his off-road atv to impress the girls.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider

Start with carfax, obviously accident history but also number of owners and service records. If they’ve done all the oil changes and the 30/60/90k services that helps! I’d stay away from anything with aftermarket lifts, snorkels, bumpers etc. In a perfect world you’d buy a low mile, well maintained truck from a little old guy, rather than a used truck from a 25 year old kid that used it as his off-road atv to impress the girls.
I'd prefer private party, typically lower prices that way. The truck I posted above is allegedly their grandfather's truck and he passed away recently, so it seems to fit what you've described. It's a 2002 Silverado with only 61k miles. I'll have to purchase the Carfax if I'm serious about buying.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'd prefer private party, typically lower prices that way. The truck I posted above is allegedly their grandfather's truck and he passed away recently, so it seems to fit what you've described. It's a 2002 Silverado with only 61k miles. I'll have to purchase the Carfax if I'm serious about buying.
I can help with that. Shoot me a PM when you get serious and I can take a look at it and run some analytics for you.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider

Yup, service history and where it was serviced tells a lot of how the truck was treated during it's life.

Carfax is good, but not 100%. I know this personally because I had a couple trucks that had been wrecked or had motor replacements that had clean Carfax. Don't be afraid to crawl under it a take a look.

I sold a truck to a guy in Tenn. sight unseen, he had me take it to a Christian Brothers Auto and had them do a complete inspection of the truck. I think it cost him around $200.

Sounds like you're not a wrench turner, so I'd look into that if your unsure. Lots of scammers out in this world.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
More than anything…. RUST. Or likelihood that rust will occur. Get a carfax and make sure it is not from anywhere north of Kentucky or so. Buy a truck from a southern state. Thank me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This would be from Seattle area. It would have seen a lot of rain, but not a lot of salt and snow in the winter time.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
I sold a truck to a guy in Tenn. sight unseen, he had me take it to a Christian Brothers Auto and had them do a complete inspection of the truck. I think it cost him around $200.
Yeah, I need to find a mechanic who I trust to do the inspection. Being new to the area, it's kind of a gamble which mechanic I go to.

Funnily enough, I'm familiar with Christian Brothers Auto. I moved to Washington from Williamson County.

Geewhiz

WKR
I would be very leary of that specific ad. Looks suspiciously like a scam to me. If you can get the guys phone number then see if you can meet up in person. If he starts making excuses then run.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t have to have salt on the road for rust. Make sure you look very close. Your still only a few hours from the beach. If the frame looks perfect paint on a truck that vintage someone is covering something

gbflyer

WKR
There seems to be a difference between Washington coast used and Oregon coast used. I think WA uses less of that magic elixir that allows the idiots to still drive 75mph on ice. I have owned both. Will avoid Oregon used, unless it’s E Oregon with no trips W.

Jbehredt

WKR
If the story checks out and mechanic gives it a thumbs up it’s a sweet $10k truck. Rust. Trans cooler not ruptured and mixing with coolant. Would be my top two concerns.

Gone4Days

WKR
Bring a OBD reader and run diagnostics. Make sure that the truck has run a drive cycle and isn’t showing any faults and look to see when the last check engine light (fault) was. Check fuel trims, listen for knocking, and check for any misfires. A bluetooth OBD reader and app that shows live data is a life saver for the home mechanic and anyone buying used.

Gone4Days

WKR
Ahhhh the classic “it was my grandma’s car and she only drove it to the grocery store.” lol. Carfax will tell you if the mileage is correct.

hoff1ck

WKR
Lots of good advice here. Rust starting on older trucks is the big thing for me, always makes me worry about the frame. Truck got totaled in July, bought a 21 GMC certified pre-owned with 10k a couple weeks later to try to go the “safer” route. Had it 13 days and it’s back at the dealer with a trans issue a week before my elk hunt. Used anywhere can be a crapshoot at times.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has made me pretty much decide not to move forward right now. Hopefully the new market cools off a bit... I'd like the peace of mind buying something with a warranty.

For now, I'm going to buy a hitch and a cargo carrier for my Fusion. That should make it capable of some hunting.

Gone4Days

WKR
If it is legit, those pre 2008 bailout GM 5.3 Vortec’s are damn solid motors.

Last edited: