Advice needed for WY elk for my wife

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

My wife has 7 pts and is considering burning them next yr in WY for elk. She turns 40 in May and wants an adventure haha. I’ve been doing the typical research on gohunt trying to find some options and I’ve found some but I easily get frustrated with the NR wilderness rule. I guess do you guys have any recommendations for that amount of points or are there any general areas worth burning that many points on? I’ve only hunted deer in WY so far. Feel free to PM. I appreciate it.

I'd get on either BroHunt, TopRut or the WGFD website to see what areas are available and where she has points to draw. That will give you the best starting point. 7 points should get you some opportunities, but it's in no-man/ladies-land for some of the "better" draw units".

Feel free to PM with more questions

southLA

WKR
Man someone told me the WY NR Gen Elk tag was gonna take 10 points this year.

Laramie

WKR
If she is after a trophy type bull, she would be better to wait imo. If she is just looking for a fun elk hunt, there are quite a few options in that point range that aren't as popular for one reason or another.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If she is after a trophy type bull, she would be better to wait imo. If she is just looking for a fun elk hunt, there are quite a few options in that point range that aren't as popular for one reason or another.
What gain would waiting be? As a resident you may not be aware of how many non residents have max points in wyoming (hint it's an alarming large number) With all the talk of the costs increasing and 90/10 splits it'll only take a small change to start a point creep landslide of people leaving the system.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
What gain would waiting be? As a resident you may not be aware of how many non residents have max points in wyoming (hint it's an alarming large number) With all the talk of the costs increasing and 90/10 splits it'll only take a small change to start a point creep landslide of people leaving the system.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I grew up hunting and guiding in Wyoming but have been a non-resident for almost 25 years. No guarantee 90/10 happens for DEA and the latest talks I have heard say it is unlikely. Large numbers of non-residents are burning points right now in fear of that meaning her realistic shot at a tag would be general right now or one of the less desirable LQ hunts that restrict antler size. Waiting would provide the opportunity to hunt a good LQ area unrestricted- thus providing the best chance at a trophy bull. I have hunted and guided both great LQ areas and a pile of general areas. Trophy bulls are very hard to come by on public in general areas- especially for a first time elk hunter. If she wants a trophy DIY, her best shot is to wait as she will likely never be in the position she is in again considering her age and point creep. Maybe apply for cow tags for the 2023 adventure.

If not committed to DIY, there are some wilderness pack-in hunt hunts that are certain to deliver adventure and a chance at a decent bull. However, the best outfits are likely booked through '25, but it may be worth getting on a waiting list. These guys have a pretty good reputation, and I shared some emails back and forth with the owner in the last couple years. He was always very responsive and answered all of my questions thoughtfully. They operate in Bridger-Teton and the Thorofare, and it will cost you a chunk of change.

Constant Quest
https://www.cqoutfitters.com/

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I'd get on either BroHunt, TopRut or the WGFD website to see what areas are available and where she has points to draw. That will give you the best starting point. 7 points should get you some opportunities, but it's in no-man/ladies-land for some of the "better" draw units".

Feel free to PM with more questions
Yeah. I’ve noticed you need double digit points for the better LE hunts.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
She would love to kill a bigger bull than I have but isn’t a trophy hunter. She just enjoys being out there and getting into elk.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up hunting and guiding in Wyoming but have been a non-resident for almost 25 years. No guarantee 90/10 happens for DEA and the latest talks I have heard say it is unlikely. Large numbers of non-residents are burning points right now in fear of that meaning her realistic shot at a tag would be general right now or one of the less desirable LQ hunts that restrict antler size. Waiting would provide the opportunity to hunt a good LQ area unrestricted- thus providing the best chance at a trophy bull. I have hunted and guided both great LQ areas and a pile of general areas. Trophy bulls are very hard to come by on public in general areas- especially for a first time elk hunter. If she wants a trophy DIY, her best shot is to wait as she will likely never be in the position she is in again considering her age and point creep. Maybe apply for cow tags for the 2023 adventure.
She isn’t a first timer. This would be her 5th elk hunt and she knows what it takes.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
If not committed to DIY, there are some wilderness pack-in hunt hunts that are certain to deliver adventure and a chance at a decent bull. However, the best outfits are likely booked through '25, but it may be worth getting on a waiting list. These guys have a pretty good reputation, and I shared some emails back and forth with the owner in the last couple years. He was always very responsive and answered all of my questions thoughtfully. They operate in Bridger-Teton and the Thorofare, and it will cost you a chunk of change.

Constant Quest
https://www.cqoutfitters.com/
Out of principle alone with how I feel like the outfitter rule for NRs is downright criminal, I refuse to use an outfitter to hunt it. There’s not a more unfair rule for NR in all of the west IMO.

Out of principle alone with how I feel like the outfitter rule for NRs is downright criminal, I refuse to use an outfitter to hunt it. There’s not a more unfair rule for NR in all of the west IMO.
Fair enough and I don't disagree, but wanted to throw out the option. Do what makes you and your wife happy.

If the special price increase passes who knows what it will do to the regular draw. I don't think there will be any way to predict how many folks with points will put in for draw this year...