Advice getting started on squirrel

mineral4x

FNG
I have whitetail hunted for years, rifle and bow. I new buddy of mine suggested we go out for squirrel and give it a try. Neither him nor I have small game hunted before so we'll be figuring it out together.

I picked up a Tikka T1x already and planning to get a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 to put on top. We'll be headed out in lower Michigan. No dog.

What advice do you have for our first squirrel outing?

JohnB

WKR
Bring shooting sticks. The area I hunt has some real tall trees with ag fields in between them. Frequently I'm shooting from a pretty good distance and sticks are invaluable.

OP
mineral4x

mineral4x

FNG
Bring shooting sticks. The area I hunt has some real tall trees with ag fields in between them. Frequently I'm shooting from a pretty good distance and sticks are invaluable.
Ah yes, I've been looking at Primo trigger sticks. Debating between single stick and bipod. Any suggestions?

Grey squirrels or reds?

The norm is to spot and stalk, but I like to sit in a big oak flat and shoot. Stay there for a while and they will start poking their heads out for another shot.

I’ve always had better luck early season when foliage still on using a shotgun, but it can be done with a rifle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mineral4x

mineral4x

FNG
Fox seem to be healthy and fat around here so we are looking at. Maybe some grey, but they seem to be a bit smaller.

Agross

WKR
It’s squirrels. Don’t over think it. They are everywhere. If u wanna spend money on shooting sticks, go for it, but not necessary. Shoot free hand, lean or rest yer gun in the closest tree, use a stick.
I usually walk slowly and sit and listen for about 20 minutes. Or just spot and stalk slowly. They are everywhere.

BLJ

WKR
Ah yes, I've been looking at Primo trigger sticks. Debating between single stick and bipod. Any suggestions?
I’ve got the tripod version and I would recommend the monopod.
Same results with less weight.
Or if it’s in a wooded area, use a tree for the same purpose.

Don’t rule out calling. Thats a ton of fun.

Like people on the internet, if you say the right (or wrong) thing to them, they can’t keep their mouth shut.

Which ultimately gives away their position…..