Advice for 1st elk hunt ever

Spikebuck

FNG
Headed to Colorado for my first western hunt for mule deer and elk during 3rd rifle season. We are hunting semi-diy out of a cabin on 10,000 plus private acres with good access to public. I think I’m covered on clothes but have a few questions.
-do I need tire chains? Hunting 8000-8500 ft.
-do I need a bipod on rifle or is a portable primos trigger stick tripod a better option?
-binocs or binocs and spotting scope?
-is setting up on a ridge and glassing both directions best way to find the game?
Thanks

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Should be a fun hunt.
1. Bring chains, better to have ‘em and not need ’em then to need ‘em and not have ‘em.
2. Tripod
3. Binocs - leave spotting scope at home
4. Outcroppings/vantage points are always good and with the warm weather we’ve all had elk have been staying high and in trees, as of past few weeks.

Headed to Colorado for my first western hunt for mule deer and elk during 3rd rifle season. We are hunting semi-diy out of a cabin on 10,000 plus private acres with good access to public. I think I’m covered on clothes but have a few questions.
-do I need tire chains? Hunting 8000-8500 ft.
-do I need a bipod on rifle or is a portable primos trigger stick tripod a better option?
-binocs or binocs and spotting scope?
-is setting up on a ridge and glassing both directions best way to find the game?
Thanks
Yes to all of the above. If you aren’t packing in, may as well bring the kitchen sink. Can’t use it if you ain’t got it.

OP
S

Spikebuck

FNG
Where is the best place to buy tire chains? Coming from the south, I have to order online. Don’t want to spend a lot as they would be a 1x use.

Also, what should my expectation for elk #’s be in unit 161?

Where is the best place to buy tire chains? Coming from the south, I have to order online. Don’t want to spend a lot as they would be a 1x use.

Also, what should my expectation for elk #’s be in unit 161?
I'd look at Amazon for chains to start to see pricing and then go from there. Places like Walmart also carry them but i ended up buying from Amazon as it was the cheapest and easiest option when I was getting my chains.

KHNC

WKR
A lot of the things you see on public during 3rd season are likely to be orange tinted and moving in groups. GOod luck!

A lot of the things you see on public during 3rd season are likely to be orange tinted and moving in groups. GOod luck!
The guy that ran my hunters education class called the OTC CO units the 'Pumpkin Patch" because the orange you see everywhere.

To the OP- good luck! Be aware that there is going to be some pretty open space but also extremely tight Aspen groves. Sometimes its like a maze trying to get through all the deadfall and you will need to back track a little or loop around. I have the philosophy that its better to walk around a log than try to go over it and risk a fall. The dried out dead branches make a ton of noise when you break through them too.

OP
S

Spikebuck

FNG
We are hunting mostly private land with a river running through it. Hoping the orange army will push the elk on to the ranch.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you are on private I would use that to your advantage, I am familiar with the unit in question… otc rifle units get hammered the unit you mentioned is in that boat be smart about not pushing the elk off the private if they show up. Also if they are not there in a couple days of hunting don’t be too married to the spot. You can spend a lot of time wishing animals would show up. First couple of days of shooting will have bulls back in their hell holes. 161 has some unreal deadfall in the timber as well. Be careful if it’s wet or snowy deadfall gets super dangerous crossing it

Holski

FNG
1) Might as well bring the chains and not need them.
2) Using a good pack or tree to shoot off is usually my go to, but I have carried trigger sticks for my dad and he really likes them.
3) A good pair of bino's soon be fine, but since you're not packing in might as well take the spotter if you're in more open country
4) A good vantage point with multiple glassing areas is never a bad plan

161 is a decent unit, if you have access to 10,000 acres of private land it should be a lot better since like said above the pumpkin patch can push all the game right to you.

KHNC

WKR
Sounds like you are hunting with an outfitter. Killing a buck will be simple if on private. Hunted on private during archery in 3 multiple times.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
One bit of advice on chains: Do not put them on in the field for the first time.

Also, I assume (I know, I know) you have 4WD. If so, I'd have chains for all wheels.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us updated.

Eddie

SonnyDay

WKR
One bit of advice on chains: Do not put them on in the field for the first time.
^^^ This.

You may need to trim some links to keep from destroying parts of your vehicle... and you may or may not have brought bolt cutters.

More to the point: don't put yourself in a position where you are trying to figure out how to put on chains for the first time in the cold, dark, windy, deep-ass snow...

My son and I will be up in 161 for 3rd rifle as well. Good luck and have fun!

OP
S

Spikebuck

FNG
I have chains for rear wheels only. Ram 1500 and owners manual says no to front chains. Have aggressive mud grips too.
Private land but unguided.

Extrapale

WKR
Definitely bring the spotter.

Check to see if there is a Les Schwab tires near where you are hunting. Call ahead and get chains lined up. They will probably fit them for you, and you can return them if unused.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Choupique

WKR
All of my experience is public land, but I dont head out west without chains in my truck. We use them often. Even if you don't absolutely need them, they drastically increase your safety on icy gravel roads.