Adirondack Wilderness

Anybody on the east coast ever ventured into the Daks for backcountry hunts? I am considering this as an alternative for next season, since i will not be able to head west. I realize it is completely different but i have hunted big woods all my life. Just looking for the experience and adventure.

Trial153

WKR
I hunted the Daks quite a bit, also spent many days running hounds in them and camping. There are places in the Daks that compare favorably to backcountry anywhere in the lower 48. That said ...the hunting isnt good by any measure.

OP
F
You have only echoed what everyone i have spoken to about the hunting said already. The hunting itself is not very good. Very low numbers. And i am willing to accept that. I know the best time would be regular season, but i think i want the experience of the backcountry, the solitude and if i can hunt while im there all the better. I mean the hunt is the reason but if going west is not possible this year, then the Daks are better than staying home.

What about some of the wilderness areas in North GA? I know i've been considering it. We have some good areas in WV as well that are remote and rugged.

OP
F
GA? As in Georgia? Honestly i had never even considered it, but now that you have mentioned it, it may be worth a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Also worth noting, since you got me looking, is the wilderness areas in North Carolina.....

LateRiser

FNG
I haven’t done a true backcountry hunt there (ie backpack) but I’ve done very remote hunts from a very remote cabin.

I love the ADKs. One thing that I prefer over more southern hunts is that pretty much from mid November you are likely to have snow, and tracking in the big woods is the best.

It also levels the playing field a bit. Easier to find the deer, and you know there’s a big buck at the end of the tracks if you can catch up.

Typically we’d cover 5-8 miles a day on our hunts up there. One of the coolest places I’ve whitetail hunted for sure. The silence is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you put your time in scouting, you can still kill decent deer in the Daks. That said, going in blind is pretty much a waste of time for deer.
Odds are slightly better for bear.

rayporter

WKR
3 years ago I did a pack in hunt in north Georgia. we camped with in a half mile of the Appalachian trail, not far from Blairsville.

we had bear tags and deer tags. I got a nice buck [ for the area] and there was a bear killed there. the guy gave us the hide after he checked it in.

it was a nice trip.

Speculator is a good starting. My buddy Joe killed some good bucks and a few bears in that area.

Thought about the Daks a whole bunch now that I’m moving back east..... even if the hunting isn’t good with low numbers...... still be nice to mountain trek and find some high country bear and bucks..... I’m so down bout 6 hours from my hometown

elkguide

WKR
The ADK's have some great woods to enjoy. Deer numbers do tend to be a lot lower than other areas but at the same time it isn't hard to get away from the masses and enjoy some good hunting.

ChrisS

WKR
The ADKs are huge with tons of land and low deer densities ... that said, it doesn't take much to narrow down where they're most likely to be. Cover lots of ground, spend as much time in the woods as you can, eliminate the places they aren't, and you can catch up to them. The best thing about the ADKs is that the deer are mostly unpressured. It's just as likely that 5.5 year-old bucks will be out wandering around at noon as they are at 2 am.

Visibility is the biggest hurdle there. Usually the leaves are off by mid Nov, but before that it can be a jungle. And it can be tough to find a flat & dry spot to camp. The three things that the ADKs have in abundance are trees, rocks, and water.

Why are deer densities so low. I hunt southern ny and PA and there are tons of deer here. Hunted by New Paltz this year and say +30 deer in a day and night in the area we were working. Curious why the difference up there.

Perhaps there is more agriculture mixed here I guess.

ChrisS

WKR
Why are deer densities so low. I hunt southern ny and PA and there are tons of deer here. Hunted by New Paltz this year and say +30 deer in a day and night in the area we were working. Curious why the difference up there.

Perhaps there is more agriculture mixed here I guess.
Hard long heavy winters, average forage, and no ag. The snow depth difference between Speculator and even I-90 is surprisingly significant despite it being only 50 miles away south. And its persistent. Most of deer will yard up, but that only protects them for so long. Heavy March snows are killers.

Last edited:

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
Deer numbers are low, but because of that hunters are low also. some big bucks come from up there. If you see a track up there you better follow it. I be looking for remote areas that border private land that has been logged. The state land has no logging. I seen a few deer floating rivers up there. They like to bed on banks in the summer. I believe your tag will come with a bear tag also

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone's pretty much hit the nail on the head. Your best bet for putting a tag on a decent buck is tracking one down after a snowfall. Jim Massett is a legend for killing good bucks in the Adirondacks this way.

If you're looking for an adventure and the experience the Adirondacks are a great place to do it

Deer numbers are low, but because of that hunters are low also. some big bucks come from up there. If you see a track up there you better follow it. I be looking for remote areas that border private land that has been logged. The state land has no logging. I seen a few deer floating rivers up there. They like to bed on banks in the summer. I believe your tag will come with a bear tag also

That’s pretty awesome a bear tag comes with........ so one more question since we’re on the topic of bear...... what’s the strategy like for bear in the Daks..... same as north PA just drives around high elevation berries and swamps or what