Activating an SOS

OP
O

ol dad

FNG
"You do the right thing, that’s what you do. "

Ha! Obviously I wouldn't let someone who is incapacitated die on the mountain. I was thinking more along the lines of a broken leg, chest pain, etc. where it wasn't necessarily life threatening. GregB's reply was along the lines of my thinking, although I doubt I would have a pen and piece of paper handy to draft up a release of liability waiver. I was just curious if anyone knew how this may be handled.

muddydogs

WKR
Nice thing about the 2 way communication of the Inreach is the call center will assess the situation with the individuals involved and send the appropriate response. So a simple broken leg probably won't get a helicopter unless the circumstances warrant it were as a guy having a stroke isn't laying around waiting for a crew to get on scene to call for a helicopter.

I would assume that the person in distress would be responsible for all costs but you just never know these days. If I'm ever in that situation and the individual is coherent I'll make darn sure they understand that they could have a sizable bill, heck I might even go as far a voice or video recording the conversation just to cover myself.

Not sure about other states but in Utah you can purchase a search and rescue card, think the family plan is $35 a year, which is supposed to cover all search and rescue expenses. Its for Utah only and I have yet to hear about anyone's experiences using the card as of yet.

Cockeye

WKR
Have him sign a statement that he is responsible for all costs incurred from activating the SOS, and that you will not be held liable for anything that happens from SOS activation through the extraction.
Or just activate the SOS get them squared away and worry about it later.
Would that go under the Good Samaritan laws.

Mosby

WKR
Have him sign a statement that he is responsible for all costs incurred from activating the SOS, and that you will not be held liable for anything that happens from SOS activation through the extraction.
Or just activate the SOS get them squared away and worry about it later.
I can't imagine writing a legal agreement on the side of a mountain but it is a legitimate issue and concern. I carry a PLB. I decided when I bought mine that if it is a life and death situation, I am hitting it and getting help asap, regardless. If someone needs assistance and I can determine that it isn't a critical injury, I would provide assistance and go get help w/o using the PLB. I started looking into insurance policies a few weeks ago for life flights and emergencies and will likely buy one going forward.

muddydogs

WKR
I can't imagine writing a legal agreement on the side of a mountain but it is a legitimate issue and concern. I carry a PLB. I decided when I bought mine that if it is a life and death situation, I am hitting it and getting help asap, regardless. If someone needs assistance and I can determine that it isn't a critical injury, I would provide assistance and go get help w/o using the PLB. I started looking into insurance policies a few weeks ago for life flights and emergencies and will likely buy one going forward.

So here's a question. You have a PLB and are looking into insurance policies so your obviously concerned with your safety so why the PLB? I would think that if you are really concerned with your safety you would have chosen something with 2 way communication to be able to get the help you need and maybe not incur a large rescue bill if there is such a thing. I'm just asking, not trying to be an ass. Wondering the train of thought that led you to a PLB when there are a lot better options out there now a days.

I'm also wondering like others in the other thread you posted in if there really is a rescue bill at the end of a rescue for an issue in the United States? Seems that most S&R is volunteer and do there thing no charge but it would be interesting to figure out if one could get charged for a flight.

mwebs

WKR
I can tell you for a fact you get charged, in my neck of the woods even if SAR pulls you out, they will transfer care to Life Flight and that's where the large bills pile up. There are plenty examples of this out there, if you get rescued your going to have a large bill. I purchase directly from Life Flight for coverage.

Mosby

WKR
So here's a question. You have a PLB and are looking into insurance policies so your obviously concerned with your safety so why the PLB? I would think that if you are really concerned with your safety you would have chosen something with 2 way communication to be able to get the help you need and maybe not incur a large rescue bill if there is such a thing. I'm just asking, not trying to be an ass. Wondering the train of thought that led you to a PLB when there are a lot better options out there now a days.

I'm also wondering like others in the other thread you posted in if there really is a rescue bill at the end of a rescue for an issue in the United States? Seems that most S&R is volunteer and do there thing no charge but it would be interesting to figure out if one could get charged for a flight.
I choose a PLB for a few reasons. The PLB has a stronger signal than some devices and uses a more extensive satellite system. I know the SOS will get through. That was an important consideration for me. I am by myself a lot. If I am in a bad situation, I may not be in a position to coherently communicate with someone, so while communication is a good thing, it may be a feature that I can not use or provide much value, when needed, regardless.

The PLB is a simple device. It has one primary function, a single button and a 5 year battery. I liked that. Sometimes less is more. It is my safety net. Nothing more or less. When the battery expires, I will revisit my options.

Rescue and Life flight potential expenses will vary by state. Some states like Colorado have a trust fund set up to cover rescue expenses. Other states do not. I am going to buy an insurance policy for rescue when I hunt in states that do not, to ensure that I do not get a bill. If you are life flighted to a hospital, someone is going to pay for the flight. I hunt with a guy in PA, whose son was life flighted a few years ago. He got a bill for $65,000 from the hospital for the flight. Insurance is relatively cheap and eliminates the risk. Why screw with it?

njdoxie

WKR
Durn, got to look into this.....so with Colorado, you don’t need this insurance?

$50k is a killer bill for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did the research in July, in Colorado: if you have a hunting/fishing license or purchase the SAR thing (couple bucks) then the county would be reimbursed from the state for responding to your emergency. That’s just the SAR folks tho. If they hand you off to a chopper you would be on the hook for that if your health insurance wouldn’t cover it.

Mosby

WKR
Durn, got to look into this.....so with Colorado, you don’t need this insurance?

$50k is a killer bill for me.

The Colorado fund covers 'reasonable' search and rescue expenses but not medical. I hunt in a lot of different states and it varies a lot and it seems easier to me to get insurance coverage for it, than trying to figure out what expenses are covered and which aren't and worrying about potential costs and expenses when I or my son need emergency assistance.

Here is some information on Colorado:

Carl

FNG
I have had an In Reach for about five years now. I have used it extensively snowmobiling and hunting in the U.S, snowmobiling in Canada, and hunting in Alaska. I have activated the SOS feature twice, both for injured riders when snowmobiling. One in Cooke City,MT, one in Revelstoke BC. Both were injured to the point there was no possibility of them riding out (multiple broken ribs along the spine, and a broke femur.) With the Cooke city one, within two or so minutes of activation, I was in contact with the headquarters place in Texas, and told that SAR was on their way, and that the life flight chopper from Cody, wy would stage in cooke city SAR showed up within 45 minutes, assessed the situation, and called the chopper to our location. The chopper landed, we brought the patient down the hill in a litter, loaded him up, and off he went to Billings. Total time about 2 hrs.
The Canada one was late in the day, as soon as we verified his leg was broke, I activated SOS again. Again I was in touch within a couple minutes. We insisted on a helicopter, as we were over 20 miles in the backcountry, and were in the alpine. There was absolutely no possibility of us moving the patient, amd staying the night was out of question. This time, they told us a chopper would be on its way, and would give us an eta when available. Long story short, there was no eta given, until,the chopper showed up. That was very frustrating for us, but I think there was just a lapse in communication. This time, it was a private heli ski chopper and two SAR guys that were EMTs. We littered him down the hill, loaded him up, and off he went to Revelstoke on his first chopper ride.

Now, for cost. The MT one, the patient had a Reach medical card, and his flight, approx. 40k was covered for the ~$300 a year charge. In BC, there is a government fund setup to repay the SAR guys and chopper, so there was zero cost. We did donate $1500 to the Revelstoke SAR.

Bottom line is the In Reach is a lifesaver,I will never go into the mountains without one. But, they are no replacement for a level head and preparation.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
5e8486059e4c73881b52aff92c7dfec8.jpg
8e40c313ce85273a3cfce6cd102e70de.jpg

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Life Flight is not an insurance policy but rather a membership. I pay it once a year, $45.00. Well worth the cost. Or if you are close to Montana you can call Three bears and let them come and get you. Had them down here in Southeastern Washington last summer picking a guy up off the side of a mountain that nobody else wanted to try. In the 60's, 70's and early 80's when I was on S&R we could call Fairchild AFB in Spokane and they would send down a Huey to help with search's. But one of their rules was they would only haul out injured people. So I have hauled a few dead ones out the hard way. With the new PLB's you can also text back and forth advising dispatch what the problem is and location, so instead of rounding up a huge army you can only respond with necessary personal and equipment. Another solution is if you are going to spend time in the back country rent a sat phone for a month and buy 30 min. of air time.

mwebs

WKR
Great thread for newbies, yes it is a membership, acts the same as people would view insurance, no deductable. When we ship people out they are always dumbfounded by the cost, so the more people are prepared the better for everyone.

OP
O

ol dad

FNG
I have had an In Reach for about five years now. I have used it extensively snowmobiling and hunting in the U.S, snowmobiling in Canada, and hunting in Alaska. I have activated the SOS feature twice, both for injured riders when snowmobiling. One in Cooke City,MT, one in Revelstoke BC. Both were injured to the point there was no possibility of them riding out (multiple broken ribs along the spine, and a broke femur.) With the Cooke city one, within two or so minutes of activation, I was in contact with the headquarters place in Texas, and told that SAR was on their way, and that the life flight chopper from Cody, wy would stage in cooke city SAR showed up within 45 minutes, assessed the situation, and called the chopper to our location. The chopper landed, we brought the patient down the hill in a litter, loaded him up, and off he went to Billings. Total time about 2 hrs.
The Canada one was late in the day, as soon as we verified his leg was broke, I activated SOS again. Again I was in touch within a couple minutes. We insisted on a helicopter, as we were over 20 miles in the backcountry, and were in the alpine. There was absolutely no possibility of us moving the patient, amd staying the night was out of question. This time, they told us a chopper would be on its way, and would give us an eta when available. Long story short, there was no eta given, until,the chopper showed up. That was very frustrating for us, but I think there was just a lapse in communication. This time, it was a private heli ski chopper and two SAR guys that were EMTs. We littered him down the hill, loaded him up, and off he went to Revelstoke on his first chopper ride.

Now, for cost. The MT one, the patient had a Reach medical card, and his flight, approx. 40k was covered for the ~$300 a year charge. In BC, there is a government fund setup to repay the SAR guys and chopper, so there was zero cost. We did donate $1500 to the Revelstoke SAR.

Bottom line is the In Reach is a lifesaver,I will never go into the mountains without one. But, they are no replacement for a level head and preparation.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
5e8486059e4c73881b52aff92c7dfec8.jpg
8e40c313ce85273a3cfce6cd102e70de.jpg

Great post! Thank you! That is what I was looking for.

njdoxie

WKR
Great thread for newbies, yes it is a membership, acts the same as people would view insurance, no deductable. When we ship people out they are always dumbfounded by the cost, so the more people are prepared the better for everyone.

So if I sign up for Life Flight, that’s who’ll come get me? I hunt CO. What if some other outfit shows up? Do I call life flight directly if I’m in trouble? I have good cell phone service.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if life flight is covered by health insurance. In Colorado like has been mentioned there is a fund for S&R but does not cover the medical portion. I would think health insurance should cover it similar to an ambulance ride. Maybe someone has some experience one way or another.

Update: I called my health insurance BCBS to confirm one way or another about the medical portion. I was told it would cover life flight similar to ambulance. The policy reads something like air transport may be used if ground transport is not fast enough or not possible due to other limiting factors that make ground transport not an option.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
So if I sign up for Life Flight, that’s who’ll come get me? I hunt CO. What if some other outfit shows up? Do I call life flight directly if I’m in trouble? I have good cell phone service.

I am not familiar with what company provides the service in CO, maybe someone else could chime in. Life Flight operates in mostly in Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Washington. Yes some health insurance plans cover the service, however I have seen insurance companies go after people that have been Life Flighted when they get the substantial bill... Literally pursuing payment based on whether or not the flight was necessary.