Actions as Reliable as Tikka

This question is mostly for @Formidilosus but if anyone else has input I would love to hear it. What actions will run through everything like the T3X? Are there any that do? I’m thinking about pure reliability after seeing all the Rem 700 trigger issues.

sdupontjr

WKR
Don't know if others have had similar results, but My 1994 Browning Abolt II hasn't missed a lick in 30 years. Mud, snow, rain, cycles like a champ. Only changed the trigger spring to lighten within that 30 year timeframe. The action is as smooth of smoother than all my Tikkas. They pop up from time to time, but the action threads and lack of aftermarket parts kept folks away.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
My x bolt has never failed to cycle a round or go boom. Not as smooth as a Tikka but smooth enough. I'm a sample size of 1 however and I don't hunt under water.

I have several Remington 700's, but was exposed to Sako rifles and was amazed at the smoothness. Then my son chose a Tikka T3x TACA1 for his high school graduation gift from my employer at the time. This put me on the path to learning more about the Tikka line and comparing the current offerings from all the major manufacturers and some of the smaller ones. For any new bolt rifle purchases, my first choice is Tikka. Still have my other bolt guns, but I am in the Tikka camp now. In my experience, Tikka rifles come from the factory buttery smooth and all of the ones I have laid hands on have been shooters (this is only a sample size of 5, but correlates to the experiences of others).

Are you asking about actions or triggers? Most actions will will be just fine with the majority of hunting that we all do. Some do have binding issues. It is the triggers where a lot of guns fall down.

For me the tried and true Mauser actions and triggers are hard to beat in terms of just flat out working. They have two World Wars worth of history to back that up. That being said, they are chunky, I am not a fan of the original safety set-up and all of the aftermarket stuff is much less reliable.

Dave0317

WKR
Depends on what you mean by reliable.
Most rounds fired before parts breakage?
Problem free feeding that is not dependent on user technique?
Safe trigger mechanism?

Form has chimed in on all of the above and said Tikka many times.

I think he lists Sako and Sauer as decent options to look at as well, but I couldn’t elaborate further on the pros and cons of those choices.

I’ve had excellent luck with all kinds of actions, including military Remington 700s that got used hard. I haven’t personally had it happen, but you also hear about trigger and extractor issues. Most of us just don’t have the truly required sample size of experience and rounds fired to say for sure.

But, I bet the Tikka will exceed your requirements and you’d have to spend well over $1000 to get something that is significantly better.

Choupique

WKR
Real mausers (1898, 1896, etc)
Springfield 1917, Enfield, etc
Combat proven bolt actions
Good AR15's
M1 garand with the right ammo

Im sure the high end express rifles are ultra reliable (heym, mauser, Dakota, etc)

Blaser are supposed to be excellent but I've never used one.