Acceptable Accuracy for Hunting Rifle?

flyboy214

FNG
Using Mean radius and a standard bell curve you can calculate a probability of hit.

Without getting into the nerdery, 1.6 times your Mean radius gives you the radius of a circle you can expect 86% of your shots to fall within.

So for ease of math. Say a rifle shoots with a Mean radius of 1 inch and you did that at 100 yards

Multiply by 1.6 and you have 86PH. The 86% probability of hit assuming a normal distribution. That number will be in inches at a certain distance.

In this example the 86ph is 1.6

Convert the inches at the distance to MOA. 1.047x1.6= 1.68 moa

Say you assume an 8 inch vital circle. So 4 inch radius.

Your Max range with an 86ph is 239 yards.

I built a spreadsheet to calculate all this crap.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Using Mean radius and a standard bell curve you can calculate a probability of hit.

Without getting into the nerdery, 1.6 times your Mean radius gives you the radius of a circle you can expect 86% of your shots to fall within.

So for ease of math. Say a rifle shoots with a Mean radius of 1 inch and you did that at 100 yards

Multiply by 1.6 and you have 86PH. The 86% probability of hit assuming a normal distribution. That number will be in inches at a certain distance.

In this example the 86ph is 1.6

Convert the inches at the distance to MOA. 1.047x1.6= 1.68 moa

Say you assume an 8 inch vital circle. So 4 inch radius.

Your Max range with an 86ph is 239 yards.

I built a spreadsheet to calculate all this crap.

Yeah no. Or maybe yes, except how far away are the 14% of shots that aren’t in 1.68 MOA? Mean radius is good to look at in conjunction with ES to determine statistical differences between similar performing systems. It is a convoluted and for most a horrible way to try to use to determine whether you should shoot something. It is not a practical way to translate group size to target in itself.

With living creatures it doesn’t matter how close to center the average is in group; it matters what is the worst round that rifle system will fire. You could cut the BS about MR and just 10-20 rounds in a single group, measure it and now you have your “moa”.

Wrench

WKR
I'm so very different than most. I shoot 99% of dialed shots across my pack. I don't sweat 100 or even 200 yard paper after load development.

And I shoot rocks, flowers, painted spots for my personal mind health.....more of a thing hitter than group shooter. I am lucky enough to get in on quite a few cull hunts for elk and lots of yotes... and nothing seems to make me a better field shooter than field shooting.

Decent gear, lots of practice and plenty of success.

SwiftShot

WKR
Practice as far as you can. It makes shorter shot easy. If you train out to 1000 then 500 is cake. No your limitations, if the wind is not right ect dont send it.

I agree with you Wrench, I much prefer shooting things as opposed to paper as well. And I too do most shooting now from field positions. Hitting a golf ball at 200 yards from a field position aint easy, but it is fun when you hit it.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Once you get into statistical relevant shot groups sizes (95% probability), very few hunting rifles are under 2 MOA.
They guy who actually has that data doesn’t need to follow the rule of thumb made up by some knucklehead on the internet, and they can follow their own DOPE to determine their personal range.

And I think you’re proving my point? The guy who thinks he has a 1MOA hunting rifle actually has a 2MOA hunting rifle, he’s just hanging his hat on a single three-shot group when the stars aligned. Apply my rule of thumb, and he shouldn’t take shots at deer past 400y, which is a reasonable limit.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Careful
Yeah, reasonable limit for a guy who is following a knuckleheads rule of thumb and doesn’t have his own DOPE. If you don’t have DOPE for 650y, you shouldn’t be hunting at 650y.

SwiftShot

WKR
One must always tune any ballistics chart. You must validate it at range most do not. You cannot trust those numbers right out of the box. They give me a ballpark to start with and then I adjust it by actually shooting it.

OP
General RE LEE
One must always tune any ballistics chart. You must validate it at range most do not. You cannot trust those numbers right out of the box. They give me a ballpark to start with and then I adjust it by actually shooting it.

100%. I use StrelokPro and have as good of data as I can possibly provide including chrono measured speeds, weather conditions, etc, but I always true it up at 1000 yards.