AA Battery Brands

Rich M

WKR
We've been using Duracell for a long time and buy in bulk at Costco but lately seems that the batteries are leaking. Have lost a few items due to the corrosive juices. Game cameras, thermacell lantern, headlamps, flashlights, portable boat navigation lights, etc. I take the batteries out of more expensive electronics cause I'm scared to lose them.

Anyone else having issues?

Are Energizers causing any problems for folks?

How about the lithium versions - I want to run the lithium ones when hunting this year - GPS, walkie-talkie, headlamps, etc..

Any other batteries brands last and don't ruin stuff?

Thanks!

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I switched over to rechargeable Eneloop batteries a few years ago and haven’t had any leaks yet (knock on wood).

JohnnyB

WKR
Been using Energizer Lithium on trail cams with excellent results. I was having good results with the Duracell batteries prior to switching but I wanted to leave the cams out all year with no access for several months during the winter.

I used Duracell for 20 years. I thought they were good until I tried the Energizer Lithiums. I use those in my trail cams. Last year they lasted from October thru February. 1000s of pictures. They probably would have lasted longer but I pulled the cams.

Agree with all above about Energizer Lithiums. They won't leak, and seem to last longer than alkaline batteries, especially in extreme cold and heat.
Most electronics manufacturers will not warranty any device that is ruined as a result of leaking batteries, so using Lithiums is the safest way to go. I use Lithiums exclusively in all of my electronics, including the Eotech that sits on top of my SRT/Duty M4 rifle that stays in the trunk of my unit through all temp extremes. Never had a problem with them.
The shelf life on them is usually about 10 years, so you can stock up on them when you find them on sale, and feel safe that they will still be good to go when you open the package to use them.

Another +1 for energizer lithium. Had my GPS take a shit on a backpacking trip due to leaky batteries. Not cool. I have also had issues with weapon sights, trail cams and flash lights enough that I use lithium’s a lot now. Regular batteries still have a place and I use them in a lot of stuff but for really expensive and critical items I go with lithium. I also store things long term with no batteries in them.

One thing to pay attention to is temps. Regular alkaline batteries perform poorly in cold but apparently it is high temps that accelerate ruptures and leaks. Parasitic charge drain too. Article below explains it pretty well.

You guys ever used Energizer Industrials? That's what I've been using for years with no issues. I always believed them to have more juice than lithiums but maybe that's not the case.

dtrkyman

WKR
I run 25 trail cams, all with energizer lithium.

Buy them in bulk on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinFloat

FNG
Another vote for Energizer lithiums. That's all I use in any of my hunting equipment now.

As a cheaper alternative, between the "regular" Energizer and Duracell batteries it seemed that the Duracell performed better in cold weather.

I've never messed with rechargeable batteries.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I switched over to rechargeable Eneloop batteries a few years ago and haven’t had any leaks yet (knock on wood).
Those and the Amazon rechargeable are all I use now.... I outlined my strategy for headlamps, batteries and chargers here on a thread, "Happy headlamp to me"

Dang I guess I screwed up and finally bought the right thing. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Glad to hear about the shelf life as I bought a crap load of them Lithiums thinking I would use them throughout the season but never had to replace the first set in my cameras.

Dang I guess I screwed up and finally bought the right thing. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Glad to hear about the shelf life as I bought a crap load of them Lithiums thinking I would use them throughout the season but never had to replace the first set in my cameras.

If you look on the side of the battery near the top it will have the "good to" date printed. The last AA I bought had the date of 12-2037 on them. My grandkids will be using them if I don't.

yup same here. been down the leaky battery and loose an expensive item road. dont know what changed in the battery world but seams like every brand of alkaline leaks. i remember when some of these companies would tout that they would replace an item if there battery ever leaked but i dont think any of them would pay out. switched to rechareable Enloops and use a thrunite charger on everything but trail cams. not sure why but my old trail cams operate better with alkalines. i get those in bulk at Lowes around christmas time when they go on sale for almost half off.

I'm a flashlight collector. Don't have any idea why. Nobody in the flashlight world uses alkalines...ever. We call them alkaleaks. The are never worth the risk of killing a light or camera or AC thermostat.

ALTERNATIVES
- Energizer lithiums: Not rechargeable but bulletproof. Great for game cameras and anything critical, like all equipment while hunting

- Eneloop Rechargeables: Great for home use in anything that uses AA or AAA batteries

- Sony, Panasonic, Samsung Rechargeables: Anything that uses 18650, RCR123 (Surefire) , 18350, etc.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Energizer Lithium, last way longer, better cold resistance...just all around better battery.

Best price I find is usually on amazon

Note that not all electronics can substitute lithium from conventional AAs, etc. I noticed some headlamps say whether or not they're compatible. I think the amperage are different or something. Not sure what would go wrong though, just might not get optimal performance.