a worthwhile read- The Comfort Crisis

one year bump for those that haven't read it
Thanks for bumping it, on order, love actual psych books like this.
Modern life and its comforts means that self imposed adversity is the only adversity that most people get.

Adversity fosters resilience. This is something lost on modern day school teachers IMO. They talk about resilience yet they give the kids no adversity to build it with.

On a slightly different topic- Modern western society has no rites of passage for their youth anymore. No vision quests, no walkabouts, nothing. I think there is value in leaving your tribe, going out by yourself for an extended time and coming back into the community a better person after looking into yourself and your place in the tribe.

View attachment 526864
View attachment 526866
On point and love the statement you got on your bow. I've got one mighty similar I see every day as a reminder.

MattB

WKR
I bought this book to read on a recent vacation - very good read. I will ship my copy to the first WKR who posts up here that wants it. Just follow up with a PM with your address and I will get it out to you.

My wife got the audio book and it sounds like she enjoyed even more than I did.

MattB

WKR
Sure, I like to read....one of your favorite posters also. :)
My post must have been auto-corrected because I am pretty sure it typed “first WKR other than zap”, but I am a man of my word.

A good friend I talked to tonight is really interested in reading it but it is your after that.

Do us a favor and send it to Winnie after you read it.

Coldtrail

WKR
Read the book, was a good read & have passed it on to others. Along similar lines, I recently chatted with a man in his 70's that I have great respect for, he passed along old guy wisdom saying that the most beneficial thing for a man is to learn early in life how to live in discomfort, be tough in adversity, power through pain and hardship knowing there is a possibility for failure and even death so you are prepared for what lies around the next bend. At some point life will likely require you to fight with everything you've got.

If you look at the hardships and crisis that life can bring us with tragedy, health issues, psychological trauma, survival etc, there is no place for a weak person. Live life and train kids to be the one who grits their teeth and keeps moving rather than stopping and staring at the ground saying "poor me"

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great detail on the benefits of rucking; thanks for posting :D

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Worth reading- The Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter. Easter is a freelance journalist who write for Men's Health, Outside and a few others. This book offers a good discussion on a lot of interesting topics relating to health, but with a focus on why it's important to to challenge ourselves and embrace some discomfort for both our mental and physical health. In the backdrop is Michael Easter (a non-hunter until right now) on a multi-week caribou hunt in the Brook Range- he definitely is out of his comfort zone :D

“We are living progressively sheltered, sterile, temperature-controlled, overfed, underchallenged, safety-netted lives.”

"Do hard things and the rest of life gets easier”
Thank you for the reccomendations, however I'm wondering if you can explain a bit more about what there is to gain from this book if one already believes the bolded lines you ended with? Not trying to be a hater and am interested for sure, just don't want to get another book from the department of redundancy department.

Thank you for the reccomendations, however I'm wondering if you can explain a bit more about what there is to gain from this book if one already believes the bolded lines you ended with? Not trying to be a hater and am interested for sure, just don't want to get another book from the department of redundancy department.
There’s nothing groundbreaking and the hunting story that is the thread of the book is told from someone who is a rookie hunter. It’s entertaining and there’s some good nuggets within it, but I wouldn’t call it a must read.

twall13

WKR
I can't speak for everyone but I was already in that camp before reading the book and it still gave me some ideas of things I can improve on or implement in my life. I think it's worth the read or listen.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of it reinforces what a lot folks here already know and do, but there are definitely some nuggets in there to be gleaned- was for me anyways.

Besides it’s just a good read- lots of interesting folks interviewed and some good stories. Even though the author is a neophyte hunter, the gentleman he is with is not. The hunt they tackle is not a hunt most of us are likely to experience.

Also there are definitely levels of difficulties/ hardships; where we fall in that continuum is up to us. I like to push the envelope a bit, this gave me reason to do so :D