A "Rokslide etiquette" list

Bachto

WKR
If we have this already somewhere and I am totally missing it let me know.

I think there should be somewhere that has "general etiquette" or "good practices" for newbies. These aren't necessarily rules but things that you should know when new around here. I have a couple examples:

- Though it is not a rule that you can't use FnF on Paypal it is a good practice not too.

- Putting specific units numbers in a title/post is a big no-no

- Asking something along the lines of "I want to hunt out west (or specific state out west), where is the best place to go" is probably just going to lead to hazing

I'm sure there are more but these are just a few. I've just noticed with hunting season coming up quickly and some already started we are getting an influx of new guys and a lot of the above (second two specifically) is happening which is getting quite annoying. Maybe I'm alone in this idk.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The unit questions seem a little different this year. A lot more have been people who got a left over or last minute cancellation hunt and some are hard draw units so I’m more understanding of the desperation.

I’m guilty of helping one in the antelope forum. It was technically a bumped thread and I helped the two get in touch privately so that nothing too sacred went public.

In general I’d say make an introduction post, some congratulations comments or thanks for any helpful info you find, use the like button instead posting something like “good, okay”. Show some enthusiasm and initiative towards the hunt your asking questions about also gratitude to those who answer. Oh, a trip report is a great way to show thanks.

For the classifieds-Do your homework if you’re the buyer or seller.
Don’t put the price in the title line, members can’t edit that. We don’t mind fixing a typo for ya but we’re not going to constantly change the price for you.

Unit questions are probably better to word like this: “looking at hunting northern Colorado. I’m not used to the altitude and have a bad knee so I want to stay within my limits. Deadfall is probably unavoidable so relatively flat or gentle slopes if possible. Also have many questions on gear but I’ll make a separate thread for that. Is there a good website for finding recent and historical precipitation data?” Discuss specifics via PM. That’s not overly specific and it reads as if you’re trying to do your homework, just need pointed towards how to find it.

Most things don’t translate well through text, play it safe with joking around until people get to know you. Emoji’s help but not always. If you question it then don’t post it.

I have to ask something from the WKRs, If you can’t scroll past then please kill them with kindness and don’t be a jerk.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
How about making it an absolute no no to ask for f&f. One, it's against PP rules to do so; two, it seems to lead to problems that give the RS posse headaches.
Who would monitor it and how would it be handled if someone does ask for F&F?

F&F has always been a risk that the buyer assumes by using it. I have been buying and selling for 15 years, it hasn’t changed since I started. Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to purchase things. If the buyer and seller can’t agree on the terms, then they should walk away.

If people keep complaining about the classifieds it’s going to make Ryan and Robby’s decision to get rid of it real easy.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Who would monitor it and how would it be handled if someone does ask for F&F?

F&F has always been a risk that the buyer assumes by using it. I have been buying and selling for 15 years, it hasn’t changed since I started. Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to purchase things. If the buyer and seller can’t agree on the terms, then they should walk away.

If people keep complaining about the classifieds it’s going to make Ryan and Robby’s decision to get rid of it real easy.

All good questions but I have no answers. Just looking at alternatives to shutting it down which Ryan mentioned in another thread.

OP, you're definitely not alone. In fact, I'm quite certain that you're in the majority.
Another way of looking at posting about spots: doing so demonstrates that the poster of such a thread is at the very lowest level of competence, etiquette, and experience. Nobody wants to be that guy, so don't be that guy. Don't mention states, units, seasons, areas, nothing. It's like wearing a sign that says "incompetent noob that wants everyones hard work for free."
I'm genuinely trying to do these folks a favor. Don't make yourselves look bad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Funny, all of us are in here, but are newbies really gonna read this?!

I made a suggestion awhile ago, that when a newbie signs up, he should be provided a welcome paragraph or two of basic etiquette, that after reading they check a box stating they have read them. I find this is a way to give a brand new person a few tips prior to him unknowingly posting that same first thread they all do with unit #'s. They in turn get blasted, and have no clue why the rain of hate is falling upon them. I think its a win-win.
To just point to a sticky and say "they are supposed to read it" isn't getting it done obviously!

I made a suggestion awhile ago, that when a newbie signs up, he should be provided a welcome paragraph or two of basic etiquette, that after reading they check a box stating they have read them. I find this is a way to give a brand new person a few tips prior to him unknowingly posting that same first thread they all do with unit #'s. They in turn get blasted, and have no clue why the rain of hate is falling upon them. I think its a win-win.
To just point to a sticky and say "they are supposed to read it" isn't getting it done obviously!

This is a really good idea. I lurked a while here before making an account and saw 2-3 other guys get roasted for asking about unit numbers so I knew better. I think people have no idea of the implications of giving out that information and the nature of hunting today. People think its like hiking at first where you can ask: Hey have you guys done the Red Rock trail, do you recommend it? and its not like people are going to flood the trail if someone says its a nice hike.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR

This was more what I was suggesting honestly.

The unit thing is slightly annoying. What is really cringy is seeing them get push back and sometimes worse. Then you get the "what did I do wrong" insert crying emjoi. I think it would give everyone a better experience. idk just spit balling.

CorbLand

WKR
All good questions but I have no answers. Just looking at alternatives to shutting it down which Ryan mentioned in another thread.
I don't disagree but the more time Ryan and Robby have to spend monitoring it, the more likely it is going to get nixed.

The more rules we ask for, the more time and energy it takes to enforce them.

I will be honest, it really has only been the last two years that the classifieds have been brought up and the majority of the time it has been its for two things. People asking too much and people complaining about what people are asking for items.

People don't even read the rules, does anyone think they are a going read a paragraph or bullet points of etiquette?

c670809

FNG
How about this: if you're going to answer a unit question, do it in a private reply. The problem isn't so much the question getting asked, its answering it on a public forum that leaks info to the masses.
I think that's a good idea. Several years ago I asked a newbie question and was helped privately. I very much appreciated the help because it was for my daughter.

They don't read the rules that are in place.

It would literally have to be a module based learning session that they would be required to click thru with a test at the end. And require 100% passing score to be able to log in.