A random story in the life of......

SWOHTR

WKR
Get your ears checked if you have hearing loss, you never know how much wax may be built up in them.

Attachments

• 6040F8A9-63AC-4AC6-A8D3-0C5F89192705.jpeg
    6040F8A9-63AC-4AC6-A8D3-0C5F89192705.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 90

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I was chasing a cow that got out on the 4-wheeler two summers ago and it didn’t end up so good. The cow ran up on a hill so I ran up there, got around and got it pushed onto the road. Well when I got back to the road the cow started towards one of the hay fields. I already had the 4-wheeler running and so I jumped on it and thought if I just gassed it hard it could catch it before it got in the hay. Well when I jumped on I was in such hurry that I just had my right knee on the seat with the left foot on the foot rest to where I was basically just balancing with my left foot and handle bars. I didn’t think anyone of it since I had done that lots of times before. Well I punched the gas and hit the turn in the road a little too fast and got thrown off the side. I woke up to my cousin calling me and asking me hay sprinklers I had running. I told him what happened and then started crawling over the 4-wheeler. I made it over there and was sitting there when my uncle came up the road. I got in the truck, went home and then to the hospital. Ended up with 11 stitches and then got sent to a big hospital up north in the ambulance since it was a head injury that had caused me to black out. Turns out I had a open skull fracture but my butt hurt way more then my head from landing on it. Hurt pretty bad to stand up or sit down for about 3 weeks.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
When I was young we were tearing down a bunch of dog houses we had for the six dogs we had. the small town I grew up in passed a city ordinance that said all dogs must be licensed and be on a leash, which my dad said BS to so he got ride of all the dogs. So, while tearing down the dog house I jumped off the back porch to tell my older brother to come get lunch, well, I landed on a board with a half dozen rusty nails in it. I look down in some real pain and saw some of the nail sticking out the top of my foot. My dad being the gentle soul he was, came over grabbed the board and pulled the nails out of my foot and said, go have your mother tend to that then get back to work. You don't know what real pain is util iodine applied to nail punchers.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Generally, I worked barefoot because, who doesn't like getting the soil in between their toes ?
I don't even go barefoot in the house, let alone outside. I like my feet being pain free.

In 2006 I was cutting a bunch of firewood with the chain saw. On one of the cuts, the chain grabbed my jeans and jerked it right into my right leg. It hit just below my knee and butterflied it wide open to the bone. Have no idea how it missed a ligament, and when the tech was cleaning it up there was a blood vessel he kept moving around that was fully intact as well.

Vaultman

WKR
In college, over spring break, I was having physical therapy on my sprained ankle. Went to PT and she hooked me up to electrical stimulation. She showed me the dial settings, 1-30. Told me to sit for 15 minutes and alternate it up and down from like an 8 setting for two minutes, the up to 10 or 12 depending on my comfort, for two minutes. I did that a time or two and decided that "if this thing goes up to 30 why can I only take it to 12?". So I figured I'd ratchet it up to like 20. By the time I got it to 15 I was in pain and at about 18 I think my toes curled al the way in until my foot from the side looked like a cinnamon roll. I was tensed up so tight I could barely get the damn thing turned down. I got it off right as she walked back in. I think she could tell what I'd done, but no lecture because she knew I would not do it again.
Yeah after that I decided to obey the physical therapist.

Last edited:
I was 15 and broke a carbon area practicing with my bow. I wanted the Insert out of it to fix another arrow that was missing the insert. I had seen them heat the insert at the archery store with a torch. I had a candle and no matter how hard I pulled with pliers it wouldn’t budge. So I put it in a vice grip. I went to pulling and shoved the shattered part of the arrow through the Inside corner of my left eye. I remember blacking out and when I came to my face was real hot I could see the shaft sticking out past my nose but I wasn’t holding it.
‘I started to just call for my mom over and over. She came down annoyed then when she said there is a arrow in your head I panicked and ripped it out. my Dad comes down get me in the truck. Tells 1st me not to get blood in his truck. I’m covered in blood. First hospital turns me down once they realize I’m stable. second hospital turns me down As everyone thought my eye was missing. Finally get to a hospital with a eye center. I’m convinced I don’t have a eye. Our preacher shows up shortly after I’m in a room. He prayed for me and then with a straight face asked why I let my brother try to shoot a target off my head with a bow. I was confused and didn’t understand. Only to later find out that the rumor generated with in 15 mins of the 1st call. Long story short I had 7.5 hr of reconstruction surgery. Only side effect is my eye had to be shaved a little so I can’t wear contacts because when I blink the left one just slides out.
‘you can’t hardly see the scar that the surgeon left. I think he previously was a plastic surgeon or maybe was then. So incredibly lucky.
I do remember the first trama doc trying to tweeze carbon out of the wound and getting more meat then carbon. It was terrible.

I hit my funny bone so hard I passed out once....
As an ironworker I'm always climbing on buildings and have hit my funny bone soooo many times and never passed out but now they are super sensitive. The slightest bump can bring me to my knees and my hand will be useless for 30-45 min.

back in high school I tried a 2 handed dunk on a fast break.. was going too fast.. grabbed the rim, feet flew up & went straight down onto my head.. I was out for about 10 minutes ... everyone thought I broke my neck & was dead .. good times!

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
The bottom of my pants caught the corner or our brick hearth causing me to trip and fall into a very hot wood stove. The top of the stove slid into my arm like a hot knife through butter. I went to the bathroom to check it out and take a piss. I woke up with my wife standing over me in a panic. I didn't get a chance to hit the can so I guess I just pissed in my pants. Not my proudest moment. Still got a wicked scar not a great story behind it though.

Vaultman

WKR
When pole vaulting the vaulter goes over feet first but facing the crossbar. In HS I hit the crossbar with my face and broke my front tooth.

mi650

WKR
1 Sunday afternoon, I was butchering a deer in my garage. Normally, my wife and son would help. Son had a 1st date that day, he was 14. As he was getting ready. my MIL called and wanted him to get her Christmas decorations out of the attic for her. So, my wife took him over there, he went up in the attic, and promptly stepped off a rafter and crashed thru the ceiling, landed flat on his back. 2 or 3 years earlier, my FIL had a stroke. He laughed his ass off!!!

So, my MIL called me, wouldn't tell me what was going on, just that I had to get there, NOW!! I got there right behind the ambulance, so of course the wheels start turning. My son just got the wind knocked out of him, but got a ride to the hospital anyway. He was really afraid his date wouldn't believe him, so he sent her selfies from the ER, strapped to the backboard.

They've been married going on 5 years now, so I guess it worked out OK.

In the endless saga of dying lodgepoles, I ended up with a 50 ft wide strip of dead poles about 200ft long that I had to fall and then bump the stumps with the dozer to connect two hay fields. I started on the downwind side and worked my way up. As I neared the middle, I was just finishing one tree and one behind be voluntary tipped over. It hit me in the back of my head while a limb stub peeled my face from my hair line to the opposite eye. It knocked me out and left me in a bloody snow pile. When I came to I called the wife at work and requested assistance as I couldn't keep pressure on the cut and drive.

When we got home after being stitched up, she walked out in my patch to fetch the saw. She commented it was a great deal like tracking a wounded elk to his death bed.

I’m 64 and have worked with my hands most of my life. I was thinking “God these guys are a bunch of accident prone dopes”. Then I did some reflection.

I’ve tipped over a small crane,
shot myselff with a pneumatic staple gun,
knocked out my front teeth and rearranged my nose and lips using a set of bike handlebars, knocked myself out using a set of bike handlebars (same wreck) knocked myself out using the fist of a kid I picked a fight with (Turns out he was the Illinois state Golden Gloves champ the previous year).
Knocked myself out standing up into a 20000 lb steel cylinder,
knocked myself and another kid out with a good old helmet to helmet tackle playing football.
Fell off the roof of the public swimming pool surfing on a rolling roof panel I was trying to fix.
Shorted out a 200 amp electric panel and my legs panicked without consulting my brain at all. On that one I turned around and ran into a brick wall six feet away as fast as I could run. Oddly enough no loss of consciousness this time, just massive body pain. Brick wall hard… concrete floor also hard… everything so very hard. Too bad we don’t have film.
Shorted out a 480 volt fuse block and got a bad sunburn and temporarily lost most of my facial hair. Had flash blindness for two days in a hotel room on that one.
Cut my left index finger bone deep on a stainless plate coated in grime and nitric acid. Took about fifteen years for the feeling to return to that fingertip.
Got my glove stuck in a mortar mixer which laid the back of my left ring finger open so you could watch the tendons work (amid the ground in mortar.)
Tore my right bicep off its lower mount when I tripped on a set of stairs and caught my arm in a railing.

Fortunately none of this was serious and I’m just fine. Lucky to be here. Grateful.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
back in high school I tried a 2 handed dunk on a fast break.. was going too fast.. grabbed the rim, feet flew up & went straight down onto my head.. I was out for about 10 minutes ... everyone thought I broke my neck & was dead .. good times!

I also have done this same exact thing. I'm not sure how long I was out but I woke up to my oldest kid over top of me crying bc she thought i was dead. Spent the night in the Hospital for that bone head move.