A Question RE: Wyoming Preference Points

AshleyWY

FNG
My apologies if I am posting this on the wrong board, or if this has been discussed previously (I've searched, but haven't found this particular question asked/answered.)

I am currently a resident of Hawai'i, but I lived previously in Wyoming for 10 years. This year, I applied for Non-Resident preference points for many of the big game animal species in Wyoming, but I plan on returning to Wyoming to become a resident again in the very near future. Does anyone know if those Non-Resident preference points can convert to Resident preference points? Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!
Ashley :)

"There are no preference points for bison or mountain goat. Resident applicants only accumulate preference points for bighorn sheep and moose. For deer, elk, antelope, mountain goat, and bison, there are no resident preference points, so all tags are drawn at random."

Mojave

WKR
Wyoming is going to make you earn your resident status.

Example1.

Move to Wyoming in Jan of 2025.
Will be a legal resident in Jan of 2026 for Fall 2026 both drawing and hunting.
Apply as a non-resident in Jan-April of 2025 and hunt as a non-resident in the fall. Using your points.

2nd example

Move to Wyoming in August of 2025
Legal resident in August of 2026 (can not apply as a resident in 2026, even though you will be a legal resident during hunting season).

Hunt fall 2025 as a non-resident. Using your points.
Hunt fall 2026 as a resident on your non-resident draw tag antelope tag using your points.
Hunt fall 2026 on your OTC elk and deer tags.
Hunt 2027 and go into the drawings as. full resident.

Max points for Wyoming
Sheep 29 years probably enough tags for the 29 and 28 year guys that is it.
Moose 29. years probably enough tags for the 29 and 28 year tags.

Then this is where it gets interesting.
Deer 18 years nonresident
Elk 18 years nonresident
Antelope 18 years nonresident
But, there is no way to know how many will apply.

OP
AshleyWY

AshleyWY

FNG
Wyoming is going to make you earn your resident status.

Example1.

Move to Wyoming in Jan of 2025.
Will be a legal resident in Jan of 2026 for Fall 2026 both drawing and hunting.
Apply as a non-resident in Jan-April of 2025 and hunt as a non-resident in the fall. Using your points.

2nd example

Move to Wyoming in August of 2025
Legal resident in August of 2026 (can not apply as a resident in 2026, even though you will be a legal resident during hunting season).

Hunt fall 2025 as a non-resident. Using your points.
Hunt fall 2026 as a resident on your non-resident draw tag antelope tag using your points.
Hunt fall 2026 on your OTC elk and deer tags.
Hunt 2027 and go into the drawings as. full resident.

Max points for Wyoming
Sheep 29 years probably enough tags for the 29 and 28 year guys that is it.
Moose 29. years probably enough tags for the 29 and 28 year tags.

Then this is where it gets interesting.
Deer 18 years nonresident
Elk 18 years nonresident
Antelope 18 years nonresident
But, there is no way to know how many will apply.
Mojave,

Thank you for this detailed explanation. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Mojave

WKR
I am going to be in the same boat if I am lucky enough to find a government job in Wyoming when I return. I am not moving back to another border state and I grew up in Wyoming. I have researched the process well.

Alaska actually lets you apply as a resident if you will be a resiident for the hunting season. Wyoming does not.

OP
AshleyWY

AshleyWY

FNG
I hope you're able to find a government job in Wyoming soon and regain that residency status!

What you mentioned about Alaska residency as it pertains to hunting is interesting. I've recently heard that the state is trying to close that loophole in their laws. As a matter of fact, it looks like the state senate passed a law in that regard, and they seem to be looking to the house committee to get it on the books. Here's what I'm referring to: https://alaskapublic.org/2024/04/23...ng-residency-requirements-to-pfd-eligibility/

Mojave

WKR
I just noticed your avatar.

Not this year, but in past years I have attended St. Hubertus mass and St. Hubertus hunts here in Germany.

I don't have a hunt lined up this year, these are mostly drive hunts. I have a drive hunt in December the 10th. Which is 4 days have Saint Nicks day 6 December. Saint Hubertus feast day is 4 November. The company that I usually use as a booking agent was already full when I thought to enquire for that driven hunt. It is in a private hunting area.

BUT! I am hunting stags, chamois and fallow bucks in Slovenia starting on the 9th of November. So hopefully that hunt bears fruit.

OP
AshleyWY

AshleyWY

FNG
Wow! What a small world! I have never been to Europe, but I have done a little research into the St. Hubertus Mass and St. Hubertus hunts in southern Belgium. (I currently reside in Kalaupapa, HI, by inspiration of St. Damien, who is from Belgium.) I'd love to visit the Ardennes forest someday... I assume you live in Germany, then? Boy, have a fun time with all of those hunts you have lined up! You'll have to let us know how they all go!!!

Mojave

WKR
They are going better than ok:

two more hunts in 2024.
Slovenia and a German drive hunt.

For 2025
Austrian roe, marmot, ibex, another black grouse and chamois for 2025
Slovenia chamois, stags, and fallow for 2025
Germany drive hunts and stag hunts