A one-stop shooting rest solution?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A kneeling or seated position with a good bag off a tripod or preferably a rock or log, in known conditions, I have zero concern shooting at 400 yards on an animal. My wobble zone is next to nothing if I can get in a spot where I can support my trigger arm with my knee.

To provide some context I’m also not even considering a shot over 500 yards on a big game animal.

Of course I have hit targets much further. Last nrl hunter match I shot, If the md didnt provide natural feature to shoot off, and the shot wasn’t prone, my second choice was the bag and plate on the tripod.
Yup, agree 100% with distances and capability.

Locked into a tripod with ARCA, I am 100% comfortable going beyond 400. Inside that, the bag killing stuff.

I have guys running the ultralight plate bag combo in the NRL, one of them is local match director. So, I think that there is some preference with bag weight. And, they choose to run of a tree, stump, rock, etc.

Getting that rear support with a knee makes a huge difference. And, if someone can set up a second tripod as rear support of some kind, that makes a huge difference.

When I am able to get guys to spend 20 minutes showing them how I can help them build a position and dry fire, and if circumstances allow it in the field, they are lethal to the 400 yards kneeling, sitting off a tripod.

Standing off a tripod requires a larger set of skills and techniques.

I have been searching on the internet for a while looking for what may or may not exist.

I have a pretty solid shooting solution set up for my own rifle... arca rail, leveling base on a tripod with a clamp to direct mount.

However, I am looking for a solution for the same tripod setup to accommodate non-arca railed rifles. Whether it be a friends gun or a gun too pretty to put a rail on. My research has pointed me toward a triclawps solo or a Precision Rifle Solutions cradle. Everything I have is arca so sticking with that system or at least a 1/4-20 thread would be ideal.

Does something better exist for a "universal" rest?
Claw clamps and a good heavy shooting bag.

@hereinaz I won't be testing the clamp version since I tore apart the Bog to use a ball head on the legs. I will test the bag on top of the tripod though.

A bag/plate can be as stable, but it requires the right bag, and the right plate. My schmedium sand game changer on an aluminum plate secured to my tripod would be my preferred if stability is the concern. This gives me the same stability as directly attached, with the added benefit of making small and gross movements without implying torque or having to mess with a lever. It also benefits from much better recoil control. That bag is also 9 pounds and the plate is another. From seated or kneeling I can make my wobble less than a tenth with a hunting weight rifle.

Now compare that to about any lightweight plate/bag combo that I have tried, becoming stable takes much more technique.

That said it can become very easy to create some torque on a direct attachment system as well.

That tripod is just a tool in the tool box, I’d much rather slap my git lite schmedium on a log or rock any day over needing to deploy my tripod.

I always pack a tripod with some type of head while hunting just to glass from. Definitely won't be adding a heavy bag and a plate. I will test it though with a light weight bag I pack. Using the pack as a rear/elbow brace/ etc would definitely help. But that would help being clipped in also. I think for normal ranges either would work. If shooting longer range it probably depends how a person practices the most.

Big game or a spot and stalk type deal it's not bad being clipped in. If you have multiple targets or your target is moving around a lot it makes it harder being clipped in since you are either moving or the tripod has to move.

mt100gr.

WKR
@hereinaz I won't be testing the clamp version since I tore apart the Bog to use a ball head on the legs. I will test the bag on top of the tripod though.

I always pack a tripod with some type of head while hunting just to glass from. Definitely won't be adding a heavy bag and a plate. I will test it though with a light weight bag I pack. Using the pack as a rear/elbow brace/ etc would definitely help. But that would help being clipped in also. I think for normal ranges either would work. If shooting longer range it probably depends how a person practices the most.

Big game or a spot and stalk type deal it's not bad being clipped in. If you have multiple targets or your target is moving around a lot it makes it harder being clipped in since you are either moving or the tripod has to move.
Which ball head did you put on there? I've been thinking of this for a while. Thanks

Which ball head did you put on there? I've been thinking of this for a while. Thanks
It is a cheapy off Amazon. Either a Dlow 55 or Arctise 52 I believe. It's a truck hunting setup. If I was using a ball head for backpacking I would use a 30/40mm. My number one is the Anvil 30.

I got an aluminum bushing for the bottom of the apex that has a hole in the center. I ran a bolt through and just screw the head onto it. Overall it's decent and the Bog legs aren't bad for the price.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A basic difference is that locking in either by ARCA or a clamp can provide a little more stability on the wobble for a newbie. But, the level of recoil can eliminate that advantage because locking in changes the recoil impulse. The tripod becomes part of the rifle and has to be accounted for in position and recoil management.

For shooters who have adapted their technique to shooting off a bag with front support, the bag is superior for shots inside 450-500. That’s “PRS” type barricade shooting with adaptations to light hunting rifle.

This all gets into advanced level shooting.

I say this because there are many factors and depending on the situation you gave me, I could recommend one solution over the other.

If you want a piece of kit and will do the learning, the plate bag and ARCA are the way to go.

Deer and elk hunting where I could have opportunities beyond 500, always the ARCA for me.

Coyote hunting where engagements are short and fast and moving, plate and bag or even just shooting sticks.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I always pack a tripod with some type of head while hunting just to glass from. Definitely won't be adding a heavy bag and a plate. I will test it though with a light weight bag I pack.

You should try it, you might find you don’t need the head at all.

I’ve been packing tripods with heads for for glassing almost 10years, first panheads, and glassing off a anvil30 the last few years.

Anyway, I found I actually really like glassing off the bag now, after trying it out in NRL hunter I just used a bag this year for glassing on my hunts. Has some advantages over using a head for glassing. Really don’t have a preference anymore.

I’ve been packing tripods with heads for for glassing almost 10years, first panheads, and glassing off a anvil30 the last few years.

Anyway, I found I actually really like glassing off the bag now, after trying it out in NRL hunter I just used a bag this year for glassing on my hunts. Has some advantages over using a head for glassing. Really don’t have a preference anymore.
Using a spotter without a head seems extremely hard.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I am right there with you. Do you still have a ball head underneath the bag? It’s not necessary, but so am curious. I still carry the ball head because I shoot past 400 clipped into the ARCA.

Using a spotter without a head seems extremely hard
It is not hard at all. Just different.

I still use a head and ARCA attachment on my binos. But, I went away from the posts and I am trying the Aziak attachment.

If it doesn’t work better, I will exclusively glass off my plate bag. There are benefits that don’t seem obvious until you try it. Depends on your style.

Some guys can’t give up their pan head to go with a ball head. It’s a style and preference.

Sometimes there are those of us that experiment and experience things in competitions like NRL Hunter that changes our philosophy of use or matches our style better.

I still have reasons to use a ball head, but keep leaning back to using the plate and bag to attach my glass. It started with the couple of NRL Hunter matches and testing it in the field.

E7435B97-E5AB-4F20-BA7F-585D5340EC84.jpeg726F4856-7EB6-4654-BFEC-DF526032BB52.jpeg.

Lawnboi

WKR

I also have a light plate, and a light bag. Not as stable but fast, that and still allows you to manage recoil better. I have my tripod and bag with me, and have never carried the plate on a big game hunt, though I have used it for predators and varmints. I can see the plate and bag working fine for big game and also allow quicker follow ups. That and you can glass off your bag nearly as effectively as clipped in.

On a big game hunt I normally just carry my tripod and pint or schmedium git lite bag. On a stalk I’ll keep the tripod with the bag hooked on a leg in one hand and the rifle in the other. Clipping in is kind of an afterthought for me considering how long it takes to really setup, and get torque free.

Though honestly I don’t find I use my tripod all that much and normally just end up shooting off the bag if at all possible.

Key with a light bag is to have a lot surface area, to cradle the gun, similar to a pack on the ground.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I also have a light plate, and a light bag. Not as stable but fast, that and still allows you to manage recoil better. I have my tripod and bag with me, and have never carried the plate on a big game hunt, though I have used it for predators and varmints. I can see the plate and bag working fine for big game and also allow quicker follow ups. That and you can glass off your bag nearly as effectively as clipped in.

On a big game hunt I normally just carry my tripod and pint or schmedium git lite bag. On a stalk I’ll keep the tripod with the bag hooked on a leg in one hand and the rifle in the other. Clipping in is kind of an afterthought for me considering how long it takes to really setup, and get torque free.

Though honestly I don’t find I use my tripod all that much and normally just end up shooting off the bag if at all possible.

Key with a light bag is to have a lot surface area, to cradle the gun, similar to a pack on the ground.
I agree with everything except the brand of bag, lol. If we had a “Pro Staff” you would get an invite, cause you definitely get it and explain it well.

Here are pics I just took that were to point out exactly what you said for some marketing/education. All of them show the level of contact with the bag and the rifle, which is part of the stability a bag offers.

You ever seen or used the Peanut bag in the NRL Hunter? Only a few of them out there, but that’s where we have sent them cause a couple local match directors use them when they shoot.

9C1A8552-E492-4A3A-95CA-453386E8F177.jpegEBF8A3B5-9A83-4754-9522-8D396F69E053.jpeg1130E8CC-3A77-4FB4-84C9-C490850E87DE.jpeg

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree with everything except the brand of bag, lol. If we had a “Pro Staff” you would get an invite, cause you definitely get it and explain it well.

Here are pics I just took that were to point out exactly what you said for some marketing/education. All of them show the level of contact with the bag and the rifle, which is part of the stability a bag offers.

You ever seen or used the Peanut bag in the NRL Hunter? Only a few of them out there, but that’s where we have sent them cause a couple local match directors use them when they shoot.

View attachment 642391View attachment 642392View attachment 642393
I did see one that was borrowed to a shooter in my squad. Looked like an interesting bag. Iv played with quite a few bags and honestly the thing that keeps me coming back to the game changers is the ability to adjust the fill.

I’m a big fan of a do it all bag as well. If I could only have one support item it would be my bag.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did see one that was borrowed to a shooter in my squad. Looked like an interesting bag. Iv played with quite a few bags and honestly the thing that keeps me coming back to the game changers is the ability to adjust the fill.

I’m a big fan of a do it all bag as well. If I could only have one support item it would be my bag.
I agree. A bag is most useful of any other piece of gear. My tripod might beat it out some hunts though… fortunately I don’t have to choose. But, at matches my bag is the go to, so there is that.

Fill adjustability is huge. The Peanut/Bone Bag has an opening for that reason, as do most of our bags that serve the same role.

I really hope conversations like this help others understand why we say what we do… it is hard to hear things like, they are competition gamers.

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree. A bag is most useful of any other piece of gear. My tripod might beat it out some hunts though… fortunately I don’t have to choose. But, at matches my bag is the go to, so there is that.

Fill adjustability is huge. The Peanut/Bone Bag has an opening for that reason, as do most of our bags that serve the same role.

I really hope conversations like this help others understand why we say what we do… it is hard to hear things like, they are competition gamers.
Since carrying a multi use bag hunting I can honestly say it’s been used for nearly every animal I have shot.

I’ll carry a pound to be able to focus on my trigger pull rather than the wobble.

khuber84

WKR
If I'm seated and have a pac or something for rear support, I'll clip into my anvil. However it it's a high kneeling or standing shot, I much prefer shooting off my shmedium gamechanger atop the Tripod Apex. Recoil tracks much better for recoil control and I actually feel steadier. However shooting bagged and getting the rifle balanced on the bag if it's a light gun, will require a flush fit mag. If it's a muzzle heavy rifle I can usually get good balance with mag well up against edge of bag.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Shooting clipped into a tripod definitely requires a few tricks. It’s why for this thread, I think the bag or plate bag is the most versatile to answer OP question. It’s why you guys choose it.

I practiced clipped in, so I feel comfortable doing it. I did it mainly because I wanted to shoot at ranges further than comfortable with a bag, but I am talking further than the vast majority are prepared to shoot.

I can see why most shooters would just use the bag, it’s solid and a familiar feeling. And, can make shots inside 500 all day.

I got one of @hereinaz's plates and have messed with it just a little so far. I thought i knew what wanted and could just use my pint sized game changer with git lite fill so I didn't get his bag with it. So far i'm not thrilled with how a pint sized GS stays put on it, it's a little small. A heavy fill shmedium +1 game changer on the other hand locks on and is rock solid. I'll likely order the flat bag he has and give that a go.

I'm confident that I'll like shooting off a bag in quick hunting situations better than being clipped in for the most part. The only thing is I don't want to carry an extra plate and bag on a hunt. So i either need to find a better way to attach the pint sized, replace it with a bag that goes with the plate better, or just not use it for hunting.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got one of @hereinaz's plates and have messed with it just a little so far. I thought i knew what wanted and could just use my pint sized game changer with git lite fill so I didn't get his bag with it. So far i'm not thrilled with how a pint sized GS stays put on it, it's a little small. A heavy fill shmedium +1 game changer on the other hand locks on and is rock solid. I'll likely order the flat bag he has and give that a go.

I'm confident that I'll like shooting off a bag in quick hunting situations better than being clipped in for the most part. The only thing is I don't want to carry an extra plate and bag on a hunt. So i either need to find a better way to attach the pint sized, replace it with a bag that goes with the plate better, or just not use it for hunting.
I have been practicing and reached a conclusion.

For shots where I need prone like stability, and have time setting up, clipping in still gives me the best result, even out to 1000 yards. But, I have to control the tripod set up more specifically for recoil management.

But, like @wind gypsy I am finding that shooting off it with a bag is faster and more forgiving when shots are inside 500ish max for me. Because the rifle rides over the bag, it does not matter how the legs are oriented. And, the adjustments are quicker to settle into the target. Of course it is faster too.

What I like is that I can practice with one piece of gear and solve 99% of my shooting positions because I get to choose. I know people say it’s slow, but that doesn’t account for my selection of tripod and practice. I bet I am still faster than a lot of hunters who have to think about setting up a field position.

Literally, that is always running as a calculation in the back of my mind. It see a target, I am already finishing conscious thought as I pull out my tripod and rifle.

It helps that my tripod deploys straight to seated or kneeling height without adjusting the leg extensions. Just the angle of the legs changes.

I didn’t want to prejudice WG experiment, so I shipped him the plate to try without my bag.

The reason the plate bag combo is successful, is that the fill amount and total height of the bag creates a nice channel for the rifle to sit in. The size is optimized. And, because it is fixed to the plate.

By minimizing the size, it saves on weight as well.

Makes sense the Schmedium works better, cause it is long enough to get purchase hanging off both ends. The Pint sized isn’t long enough to do that. That’s what the Velcro attached bag gets you, the solid connection between bag and plate.

Try putting the GC right over the head with no plate, it works great.

The larger GC bags work better though but you’ve got a weight and size penalty with them. A full sized standard or heavy fill OG waxed GC is money but they weigh 6-10lbs.