A Newbie hunts elk in southern Colorado, a review

bere09

FNG
I just got back from a 5 day guided Elk hunt in southern Colorado and learned a ton, so I wanted to give a review of my preparation and equipment as well as some thoughts on what worked and what I would do differently. Hopefully this will help others who are thinking about doing their first Elk hunt. I’ll break it out into sections as follows.
  1. Past hunting experience and training
  2. Equipment review
  3. What worked and what would I do differently

OP
B

bere09

FNG
Past hunting experience and training

I grew up mainly bird hunting. We did a lot of duck, goose, pheasant, dove and quail hunting and I loved it. I did kill one deer, a doe, when I was younger, but that’s it for large game. I haven’t hunted since college 20 years ago and was really excited about the opportunity to do a guided Elk hunt in units 80 and 81 in Colorado. I did some research before hand and had a good idea of what I was getting into with all of the hunting pressure, so I kept expectations low and decided I was going to try and enjoy the entire experience.

One thing I was intimidated by was the altitude. I’ve never been above 5000 feet of altitude and reading about altitude sickness on here had me concerned. So I decided last July to start running regularly. I would run a little over a 5k 6 days a week. I maintained this habit, occasionally taking breaks when getting sick. This was a huge help for my general fitness and I definitely think it helped with my ability to adapt to the altitude.

About 2 months before the hunt I started hiking with my pack. I started with 20lbs of weight and moved up to 30 lbs about 2 weeks before the trip. I would do the same course I ran regularly (3.34 miles and 430 feet of elevation gain) 3 times a week, running the other 3 days per week with one day off. This helped with getting the pack fit properly and breaking things in before the trip. I also found that this was a much better workout for my whole body than running was. My entire body was sore after a hike in the pack and comparatively, running was a breeze. Even after the hunt I will continue doing this while slowly ramping up the weight.

OP
B

bere09

FNG
Equipment review

I went the “ballin’ on a budget” route with my equipment. Part of it was I wanted to make sure I was truly interested in getting back into hunting before investing a ton of money. I made a few purchases that I considered expensive, but these were made with the thought of selling the equipment after the hunt if I didn’t like it or decided I wasn’t going to get back into hunting. That also meant solid colors for clothes so that I could use them outside of hunting as well. Below is a list of the items I used for the hunt along with my review of each item.

Weather conditions were dry with highs for the first two days in the low 50s and lows in the high 20s. The last three days we saw highs in the high to mid 40s and lows in the mid to low 20s. Our base camp was at 9100 feet and we made it all the way up to 10,500 feet of elevation on our daily treks through the mountains.

Kuiu Pro 3600 Pack
https://www.kuiu.com/products/pro-3600-full-kit
I like this pack but I’m not sure I love it. I really like the external pockets. Easy access to the three external pockets on this pack without having to unclip anything is it’s biggest strength. Having one external pocket for cold weather gear (gloves, beanie, insulated gloves, balaclava) one external pocket for snacks, another for headlamps, batteries, lighters and hot hands was awesome. One downside of the pack was that being 3600 cu in, it allowed/encouraged me to pack more than I needed for each day. I only needed a day pack as we were staying at a lodge and I feel like I ended up with a heavier pack than I needed. I feel like I’m going to try some other options in the future. I may end up back with the Kuiu in the long run, but it wasn’t a home run right off the bat.

Kuiu Pro Bino Harness
https://www.kuiu.com/products/pro-bino-harness-valo-camouflage?variant=40340231258270
Another item that I like but not sure I love. Will have to try some other options to see how I feel about it. The Velcro on the bottom is an annoying choice that limits its modularity. If not for that I would have probably loved it. It was easy to get my binos in and out of and was quiet for me.

Salomon Outback 500 GTX boots
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/191800/salomon-outback-500-gtx-hiking-boots-mens
Super comfortable boots that performed for what I needed. They aren’t insulated and I didn’t really need insulated boots with the temps we saw. We were in some pretty rocky terrain though and I can already see some ware on them. If you’re not going to be in rocky terrains, I think these are great boots.

Wrangler Fleece Lined Pant in Magnet
https://www.wrangler.com/shop/atg-by-wrangler-mens-fleece-lined-pant-NS265.html
I love these pants. They held up great to some rough terrain and they were super comfortable. The fleece lining was enough that I didn’t need a base layer in the mornings because I was moving and yet breathed well enough that I was never sweaty when things warmed up during the day. Things would start to get cold when sitting still as the sun was going down and the wind picked up, but never to the point where I felt I needed a base layer. The only thing I wish they had were cargo pockets on both sides and something that held the back pockets closed but that’s nit picking. These things were awesome.

Target All In Motion Wool Long Sleeve T Shirt in Olive
https://www.target.com/p/men-s-merino-wool-long-sleeve-t-shirt-all-in-motion/-/A-82276818
These were great. They are 74% Poly and 26% Wool, but they did a great job regulating temp. I tested these along with another Target base layer and the Black Ovis 200 gram wool quarter zip and really couldn’t tell a difference. At more than half the price or the Black Ovis, I’d go with these.

Target All In Motion Long Sleeve Waffle Knit Shirt in Grey and Olive
https://www.target.com/p/men-s-waff...n/-/A-82277043?preselect=82098755#lnk=sametab
This was the other base layer I tried from Target and liked it just as much as the semi-wool ones above. Again, not much difference between these and the Black Ovis mentioned above. No stink to speak of even though they are Poly.

Black Ovis 200 gram Wool Quarter Zip in Kodiak
https://www.blackovis.com/brands/blackovis/blackovis-nwt-200-merino-qz-base-layer-top
I liked this piece, but since I didn’t notice much of a difference between it and the Target pieces above, the Target stuff is a no brainer for me. Maybe that changes in cooler temps? Who knows. I also had the same weight and color 3/4 base layer pants but never needed them.

Columbia Mens Trail Tech Full Zip Hoodie in New Olive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089K8KHRN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I loved this thing! It along with the Target base layers and a 60g Primaloft Gold insulated Magpul hooded jacket did an outstanding job of regulating body temperatures. I was rarely sweaty when hiking and it had to get pretty cold before I would actually get cold sitting still.

Magpul Light Insulated Hoodie in Rust
https://lapolicegear.com/magpul-mag949-light-insulated-hoody.html
I mentioned it above. It’s really hard to find these anymore but it worked great. If you come across one cheap I highly recommend it.

Mechanix Gloves
Just the plain black ones you’d find at Home Depot. These worked great when there was a chill in the morning or it got windy in the evening. Cheap too.

Carhartt Water Proof Insulated Glove in Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XSZ3RWZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Only had to use these in the evenings a few times when it got windy and the sun went down but they did their job. Didn’t rain much at all so I can’t attest to their waterproofness

REI Wind Pro Balaclava
https://www.rei.com/product/136793/rei-co-op-wind-pro-hinged-balaclava
This thing was awesome! I used it on two occasions. One was middle of the day with it sunny and 56 degrees. I forgot sunscreen and the sun was beating down on us, so I threw it on to protect my face and neck and it worked great. I didn’t sweat at all. The other occasion it was windy and cold after sunset and it did a great job of keeping me warm and blocking the wind. VERY useful.

Tripod Set Up
Aoka Lightweight Carbon Fiber 28in
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PK9Q627?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
ProMaster SPCH20 Head
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07J9KRS43?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
Staiptics Bino Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08XTT99RG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Maven C3 12x50 Binos
https://mavenbuilt.com/products/c-3-10x50-12x50?variant=32127722389582
This setup is probably my favorite set of purchases. Everything here worked great. It may be because I have no experience with nicer stuff, but the Aoka was awesome. Lightweight but stable enough for me to do some serious glassing. I was able to use it sitting easily. Was able to set it on rocks and glass while standing. I was even able to use two of the three legs firmly planted into my hip to glass while standing. The cheap Staoptics Bino adapter had no issues and always felt secure and being able to glass through binos instead of a spotting scope with the 12 magnification was awesome.

Smart Wool and Darn Tough Socks (Both in Size Large)
https://www.rei.com/product/193035/...ull-cushion-crew-socks-mens?color=MEDIUM GRAY
https://www.rei.com/product/114126/darn-tough-hiker-boot-full-cushion-socks-mens?color=CHARCOAL
Both of these were great but I preferred the Darn Tough socks. The main reason was they fit a bit smaller than the Smart Wool socks so they didn’t slip as much.

Question for everyone. I am a size 11 when it comes to shoes and boots. That means for most socks I have to wear a large which is usually sized for up to 11.5 or 12 in most cases. I also have large calves, which causes my socks to slip down regularly. Does anyone else have issues with their socks slipping down and causing the fit inside of the shoe to get sloppy? This happens or me with most socks, including the Smart Wool socks, but not with the Darn Tough socks. They seem to be sized a bit smaller so they stayed tight in my boot even when they slipped off of my calves. If this is an issue for you, I would go with the Darn Tough socks, but both were great. If anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this issue I’d love to hear them.

That’s all I can think of right now. If I missed a piece of equipment I’ll update this post.

OP
B

bere09

FNG
What worked and what would I do differently?

What worked
  1. My layering system was great. A base layer, fleece hooded mid layer and lightly insulated outer layer was perfect. The Wrangler pants with fleece lining were amazing and the socks were thick enough that the uninsulated boots were no problem. I really was comfortable the entire trip. I brought along a rain jacket that was large enough to fit over all of my layers as an extra layer and rain protection and didn’t need it. I even brought another Magpul light insulated jacket in large that would fit over my other three layers, effectively doubling up light puffys just in case it got really cold. I felt prepared for any situation that could have occurred.
  2. The Darn Tough socks just seem to work for me. I had some cheep pairs of wool socks but decided to go get the Smart Wool and Darn Tough socks 3 days before the trip because of the slipping issues mentioned above. I’m so glad I did.
  3. Leukotape P is something I’ll bring on every hunt. One of the days I wore the Smart Wool socks I had to tape up my feet and it worked like a charm. I have issues with hot spots normally when running or hiking so it will go with me on every adventure from now on.
  4. I cut up a cheap amazon folding foam sleeping pad and strapped it to the back of my pack. It was great to be able to sit on or kneel on when glassing. It kept me dry and comfortable and was super light weight. Everyone was jealous of it out in the field.
  5. The Maven 12x50s were great and received rave reviews from everyone. I was able to snag them unsale for $350 and they were worth every penny.

What I would do differently.
  1. My preparation worked pretty well, but I would do things differently in the future. I would start walking with my pack up hills farther in advance of the hunt so I could ramp the weigh up to heavier levels. I would also do more stair workouts as opposed to just walking up hills. The terrain was pretty steep in a lot of places and I feel like stair workouts with the pack would be a better representation of what we actually saw.
  2. I would also hold a 10lbs sand back in one of my hands while doing the pack workouts. I had a sling on my rifle but it was difficult to get it to stay on my shoulder with the pack on. I ended up carrying it in my hands 90% of the time I was in the field. It was a Bergara HMR in .300 Win Mag so with scope and sling it weight 13lbs.
  3. I would take a lighter rifle next time. Something in the 7lbs-8lbs range would have been very nice. The HMR recoil is very mild, even with .300 win mag, but the bull barrel and stock are very heavy to lug around the woods all day.
  4. I would come up with a better solution to carry my rifle with my hands free, even with a lighter rifle.
  5. If I could figure out #4 above, I would bring hiking sticks. I had them, but didn’t bring them along because I was carrying my rifle. There were a few times where they would have been very nice to have.
  6. I would do more of my own research and scouting before hand. It was a guided hunt, but we ended up not seeing any elk over our 5 days in the field. We did see 3 cows on the drive back to camp one night but that was it. My guide really seemed like he knew his stuff so I don’t fully blame him. One thing I did learn is that the guides have leases with the state in the units they are in. So they effectively have their territories and they are not allowed to take their clients to areas outside of their territories, even if it’s the same unit. The two guys in our camp that did get elk were unguided and able to roam on their own. It was obvious after three days and 4 guided groups spread out in our area that the elk had moved out of the area for whatever reason, since none of the groups saw any elk in the field. It would have been nice to have done my own research and had OnX or something similar to branch off into areas where the guides couldn’t take us to expand our territory, instead of doing the same things for 5 days.

Overall, this was an awesome experience and I’m so glad I did it. Even though I didn’t get an Elk or even see a Bull, I had an amazing time. The scenery was breathtaking and being up in the mountains putting in some serious work was a ton of fun. We did two days in a row of 7 and 8 miles and 2200 and 2400 feet of elevation gain (up to 10,500 feet) and it kicked my butt. I loved every minute of it! I’ll definitely do it again but I’ll do it a bit differently next time. Even with the poor luck in the field, I really think I’m hooked and I’ll be doing more hunting in the very near future.

Please feel free to chime in with questions, comments or corrections to any of this information. I’m happy to share more about the hunt. This place was a HUGE resource for me in planning for this hunt so I wanted to give back a bit.

OP
B

bere09

FNG
Good write up. Next time self guided? 5 days is not long enough
After doing it once I totally agree. Need more time out there. Part of the issue is I'm in Atlanta, so it was 24 hours of driving over two days to get out and get back. Need to build up some more time off for the next adventure.

Awesome recap thank you for that. I picked up the Stone Glacier rifle sling this year and had definitely been a huge improvement over trying to sling my rifle. It’s a little clunky at first but being able to get it off my back without removing my pack is awesome.

OP
B

bere09

FNG
Maybe we need a section on Rokslide for new guys and their recommendations- grin
Obviously I’m the last person anyone should be taking recommendations from! 😎 As I posted above, I’m looking for any advice or corrections anyone is willing to offer.

Consider this more of a what worked and what didn’t for me. This place is an awesome resource and I figured it may be useful for some other people looking to get back into hunting or get into hunting for the first time to see a newbie’s perspective.

Good write up. You are well on your way with your analysis and willingness to post and take input.
Elk hunting is a learning process which is why it is so rewarding when it results in success.

ToolMann

WKR
For #4, I love my Kifaru Gun Bearer. I use it on my Exo pack. Hands free for my trekking poles and right where I need it when the action starts. Set it up at home so you're not banging you hat bill into your barrel every time you look right. Ask me how I know 😁. It never comes off of my pack.

OP
B

bere09

FNG
For #4, I love my Kifaru Gun Bearer. I use it on my Exo pack. Hands free for my trekking poles and right where I need it when the action starts. Set it up at home so you're not banging you hat bill into your barrel every time you look right. Ask me how I know 😁. It never comes off of my pack.
That's an option that I'm looking at. I was hesitant with that one because of the gun being in front and potentially being in the way but I'll have to try it out. I think slimming the rifle down to something that's in the 7-8 lbs range will help as well.

Is the rifle easy to access without taking your pack off?

It would have been nice to have done my own research and had OnX or something similar to branch off into areas where the guides couldn’t take us to expand our territory, instead of doing the same things for 5 days.
That would be somewhat frustrating doing the same thing every day. Even within confined areas, I would think the guide would have unique hunts every day.

As for the rifle carrier, I just bought a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 for my 2nd season elk hunt. I was actually shocked at how there is absolutely no good way to carry your rife with that pack unless you buy a carrier. It was a beating switching my rifle from shoulder to shoulder and having to prop it back up after constantly sliding down. I am also in the market for a carrier going forward.

OP
B

bere09

FNG
That would be somewhat frustrating doing the same thing every day. Even within confined areas, I would think the guide would have unique hunts every day.

As for the rifle carrier, I just bought a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 for my 2nd season elk hunt. I was actually shocked at how there is absolutely no good way to carry your rife with that pack unless you buy a carrier. It was a beating switching my rifle from shoulder to shoulder and having to prop it back up after constantly sliding down. I am also in the market for a carrier going forward.
I experienced the same with the Kuiu. If we were out in the plains and not hiking around in the woods, I would have strapped it to the side of the pack. In the woods though, it just wasn't feasible to have the barrel sticking way up above the pack. It was constantly hitting branches and trees so I took it off very quickly.

I think I'll end up carrying a 10 lbs sand bag in my hands while I hike with the 30-50 lbs of sand bags in my pack. It will be a good workout even if I do end up with a rifle carry solution in the future. I could definitely feel it in my forearms and shoulders from carrying the rifle around each day.

ToolMann

WKR
That's an option that I'm looking at. I was hesitant with that one because of the gun being in front and potentially being in the way but I'll have to try it out. I think slimming the rifle down to something that's in the 7-8 lbs range will help as well.

Is the rifle easy to access without taking your pack off?
Yes. Super easy. Pull one strap and slide it out. Takes maybe a full 2 seconds to have your rifle shouldered.

Dennis

WKR
Good write up and thanks for sharing. Like most of us it is learning as you go and as I reach the twilight of my hunting career I'll share a few thoughts that might be helpful to you are someone else. Quite often elk hunting in Colorado and other western states can be challenging with steep climbs and lots of hiking followed by an opportunity that might be quick or might allow some set up. Then once you are successful the real work begins and processing an elk by yourself can be challenging. This is where your total pack weight really starts to become a problem. I have seen guys show up with tons of gear then start cutting gear to lighten their load to the point they might just be carrying water and snacks after several long days.

I think the best advice is to pack as light as possible (pack, rifle, optics, clothing etc.) but weather here can change quickly and spending a night out is possible so pack wisely. Secondly pack as if every time out you will be successful and will want to carry meat out on your first trip. This year my wife and I made a quick trip out elk hunting and I shot my bull first morning. Not a big deal in our twenties, but in our seventies it's a little bit more challenging, but our system still works and in five loads we were done. She is a trooper!

Kuiu does make a rifle carrying system that does work pretty well and allows hands free hiking, but it does stick up. It is the older Kuiu model that releases at the top and haven't used their new one. I have used the Kifaru Gun Bearer at times, but it does seem to put pressure on my hip while hiking. However my buddy uses one and he doesn't seem to have any complaints. Pros to Kifaru system is you can put the rifle in and out without removing pack and it is quicker. Kuiu system requires you remove pack to load it, but I like the way it carries and is usually fast enough.

If you are looking for trekking poles I have come to like ultra light folding poles best. They are always in my pack and I have attached "Trekking Balls" (I think that is the name) to the handles. This allows the trekking poles to convert to shooting sticks quickly. The reason I ditched telescoping trekking poles was while on a horseback hunt several years ago the pole tips were always pointing at the back of my head. I could see a serious injury coming if I got bucked off or involved in a horse wreck. They also would not fit in my packs external pockets.

I think you are on the right track with a lighter rifle and 7-8 lbs. for me seem to be the sweet spot. While I have and use heavier rifles at times they are more a specialty item that I use in certain locations or types of hunts. Long heavy rifles are great for shooting, but I find that for close range to 600 yards is all I need and 600 yards is far enough for me. I live in Colorado and have a steel shooting range that I can practice shooting out past 1000 yards, but my test is an 8" steel plate I place at different yardages, angles and locations. There are hills, canyons, trees and wind that is always blowing and it does effect bullet flight. The lesson I learned is that most guys including myself can rarely hit the plate on the first cold barrel shot beyond 500 yards. It's the wind that causes the misses almost always not their shooting ability. However there might be some guys that can do it and a spotter does help for that second shot, but we don't count on that since you are usually by yourself. I love to shoot rocks and steel at long range, but for me my 8" plate keeps me humble when hunting.

As far as packs I think when hunting without guides being able to pack your meat right from the beginning has advantages. However packing to much stuff or bulky stuff especially if it is heavy stuff that you don't need or use is a problem most of us have. However not having what you need is also a problem if you cut to much stuff. I try and find single items that have multi uses, such as the trekking poles that are also shooting sticks, and can be used to set up a small tarp. A small tarp that is an emergency shelter, emergency rain protection, a place for elk quarters while processing, a pack liner for elk meat, sun shade, and various other tasks. However if rain is expected then I bring rain gear, pack rain cover etc. but most days the weather report gives you a clue. I have used Kuiu packs 1850, 2300, 3000, 3600, 4000 and 6000 sizes and currently use the 2300 most of the time, however I think the 3000 which I gave to my son seemed about as big as I ever needed for day trips even in cold weather. There are lots of great packs out there so find what works best for you. My pack weight is usually around 17 lbs..

While you did not harvest an elk this trip it seems like there were lots of lessons learned and I think that is part of the fun. Stay safe and enjoy the journey. Good luck in the future

Reactions: 686
OP
B

bere09

FNG
Good write up and thanks for sharing. Like most of us it is learning as you go and as I reach the twilight of my hunting career I'll share a few thoughts that might be helpful to you are someone else. Quite often elk hunting in Colorado and other western states can be challenging with steep climbs and lots of hiking followed by an opportunity that might be quick or might allow some set up. Then once you are successful the real work begins and processing an elk by yourself can be challenging. This is where your total pack weight really starts to become a problem. I have seen guys show up with tons of gear then start cutting gear to lighten their load to the point they might just be carrying water and snacks after several long days.

I think the best advice is to pack as light as possible (pack, rifle, optics, clothing etc.) but weather here can change quickly and spending a night out is possible so pack wisely. Secondly pack as if every time out you will be successful and will want to carry meat out on your first trip. This year my wife and I made a quick trip out elk hunting and I shot my bull first morning. Not a big deal in our twenties, but in our seventies it's a little bit more challenging, but our system still works and in five loads we were done. She is a trooper!

Kuiu does make a rifle carrying system that does work pretty well and allows hands free hiking, but it does stick up. It is the older Kuiu model that releases at the top and haven't used their new one. I have used the Kifaru Gun Bearer at times, but it does seem to put pressure on my hip while hiking. However my buddy uses one and he doesn't seem to have any complaints. Pros to Kifaru system is you can put the rifle in and out without removing pack and it is quicker. Kuiu system requires you remove pack to load it, but I like the way it carries and is usually fast enough.

If you are looking for trekking poles I have come to like ultra light folding poles best. They are always in my pack and I have attached "Trekking Balls" (I think that is the name) to the handles. This allows the trekking poles to convert to shooting sticks quickly. The reason I ditched telescoping trekking poles was while on a horseback hunt several years ago the pole tips were always pointing at the back of my head. I could see a serious injury coming if I got bucked off or involved in a horse wreck. They also would not fit in my packs external pockets.

I think you are on the right track with a lighter rifle and 7-8 lbs. for me seem to be the sweet spot. While I have and use heavier rifles at times they are more a specialty item that I use in certain locations or types of hunts. Long heavy rifles are great for shooting, but I find that for close range to 600 yards is all I need and 600 yards is far enough for me. I live in Colorado and have a steel shooting range that I can practice shooting out past 1000 yards, but my test is an 8" steel plate I place at different yardages, angles and locations. There are hills, canyons, trees and wind that is always blowing and it does effect bullet flight. The lesson I learned is that most guys including myself can rarely hit the plate on the first cold barrel shot beyond 500 yards. It's the wind that causes the misses almost always not their shooting ability. However there might be some guys that can do it and a spotter does help for that second shot, but we don't count on that since you are usually by yourself. I love to shoot rocks and steel at long range, but for me my 8" plate keeps me humble when hunting.

As far as packs I think when hunting without guides being able to pack your meat right from the beginning has advantages. However packing to much stuff or bulky stuff especially if it is heavy stuff that you don't need or use is a problem most of us have. However not having what you need is also a problem if you cut to much stuff. I try and find single items that have multi uses, such as the trekking poles that are also shooting sticks, and can be used to set up a small tarp. A small tarp that is an emergency shelter, emergency rain protection, a place for elk quarters while processing, a pack liner for elk meat, sun shade, and various other tasks. However if rain is expected then I bring rain gear, pack rain cover etc. but most days the weather report gives you a clue. I have used Kuiu packs 1850, 2300, 3000, 3600, 4000 and 6000 sizes and currently use the 2300 most of the time, however I think the 3000 which I gave to my son seemed about as big as I ever needed for day trips even in cold weather. There are lots of great packs out there so find what works best for you. My pack weight is usually around 17 lbs..

While you did not harvest an elk this trip it seems like there were lots of lessons learned and I think that is part of the fun. Stay safe and enjoy the journey. Good luck in the future
Thank you very much for taking the time to type this out. This kind of stuff is the reason I love this forum.

sivart

WKR
Great report. It’s great to hear a guy with a positive attitude without seeing a lot of game A lot of guys would be pointing fingers but youre are living and learning. Much respect.