A look at Rokslide from the deer stand

Rich M

WKR
1 mature buck lived due to texting a coworker from the stand.

Where I hunt now, no texts, no email, no internet - no coverage. It's like going back in time to hunt - have to walk over and get buddy instead of texting him that I shot one...

MNGrouser

FNG
My cell phone cost me a buck once, but not due to web-surfing. I had my phone out to text a buddy at mid-day. Saw a buck moving through one of my shooting lanes fairly quickly. Determined he was a shooter and slide the phone into my pocket. I readjusted to be on the scope when he stepped into the next shooting lane. I guess the phone wasn't all the way in my pocket because when I moved to my knee it fell out and rattled onto the floor of my stand. The next time I saw that buck he was REALLY moving!

Crusader

WKR
I generally don't do any 'net surfing while in the blind, probably because I need to wear my reading glasses while doing so and that doesn't work to well for distance viewing/looking for deer.

On a somewhat related noted three days ago I was archery deer hunting from a blind when I agreed to and completed the purchase of a new 4Runner via texting! :)

WCB

WKR
Never screwed up a chance but have had them suddenly appear at 10-20 yards. Not reading e-books or shopping. But general text someone who text me...etc.

I have had a few friends, my dad and wife listen to me kill a lot of things. Many times duck or goose hunting be on a quick phone call and "here they come". I remember a bunch of times I'd here my dad in the layout blind next to me say "I'm in ND hunting if you here shooting I just wanted to give you a heads up". While on a business call with a client.

dtrkyman

WKR
If I have a signal I am probably messing with my phone, but sometimes when I am wanting to head in I stick around and mess with my phone in the field so it is better than messing with it at camp or home!

Hasn't cost me yet but I am sure it will!

For bear hunting at least, phone playing has been very lucky😂 hours of nothing, get on your phone for a bit…boom there’s bear!

Spoonman

WKR
I almost never looked at my phone while hunting till I moved to PA. I lived in WA and was always on my feet in the back country and now in PA I’m in the stand all the time. I am on my phone too much as I have never been so bored hunting. I’m sure it’ll cost me at some point but I have a hard time sitting there and not looking/reading on my phone.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Lanyard.

I have a little spot on my phone case that a lanyard hooks to. Pretty nice, got it to make it easier to pull from my pocket, side benefit is it's a little harder to drop now.

The posters read: Dopamine Dopamine
Fear Of Missing Out Fear Of Missing Out

Who cares?

[It's all very SAD ....]

CruzSad1.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resi...aws.com/public/MXC2DNZAY45NBM5JOGVLP3NUPQ.png

Lanyard.

I have a little spot on my phone case that a lanyard hooks to. Pretty nice, got it to make it easier to pull from my pocket, side benefit is it's a little harder to drop now.
Lol you found a way around the biggest positive of saddle hunting.

I've been burned once texting someone else about what what we're seeing. Echoing what others have said, it's hard not to while stand hunting.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I do. Looking at my phone guarantees something will walk in while I’m not ready and be to close for me to move.

mi650

WKR
I try to stay off my phone, but do read books.

I may have missed a shot opportunity a couple weeks ago while reading. By the time I looked up and saw him, he was leaving. Can't say for sure I'd have been able to get the shot off, but probably could have.

The sun had gone down enough that I needed my glasses to read, and I can't shoot with them on. Lesson learned; if I need my glasses, it's time to put the book down.

PMcGee

WKR
I’m looking at it right now. Never cost me an opportunity that I know of. Prime time it’s always in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tclhunts

FNG
Yes! In my blind right now, late season muzzleloader in Ohio, searching rokslide to see if it’s ok to pee out my blind!

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Had my phone ringer set up to sound like a cricket, 🦗
Chirp, chirp, chirp!
It was the wife. We're talking and suddenly a shooter steps into sight not 30 yards away.
"I gotta hang up so I can shoot this deer."
I hear, "Call me right back!"
I did!
And I did!
We had fresh venison for supper!

Stopped at a convenience store for fuel, a bottle of water and a snack on the way to a hunt.
The snack was a "Bit-O-Honey". You know, the little bars individually wrapped!
I hadn't seen anything when I thought about my snack.
I get it out, get it open and remove one of the little bars. I'm trying to be vigilant and I feel a little strip of paper touch my lip.
I looked down, found the paper and pulled it off. I stuck the candy in my mouth and looked up just in time to see a really nice buck step into the timber, never to be seen again.....well, by me anyway!

Maki35

WKR
Never. I don't even like answering a call/text while I'm hunting (if it isn't an emergency don't call me while I'm hunting.) I prefer to enjoy the silence of the forest than watch some video or hear someone yap on the phone.
Never have been interested in fb, twitter, instagram, etc. If I wanted to stare at a screen/ watch a video or talk on the phone, I would have stayed home.
Pre-cellphone thinker too ;D

Last edited:

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Never. I don't even like answering a call/text while I'm hunting (if it isn't an emergency don't call me while I'm hunting.) I prefer to enjoy the silence of the forest than watch some video or hear someone yap on the phone.
Never have been interested in fb, twitter, instagram, etc.
(If I wanted to watch a video or talk to someone, I could have stayed home.)
At 73, unless it's a personal call, I won't touch anything but the "Don't Answer" button.
....and I don't answer all personal calls!!!