A health revolution brewing?

Yeah, I would be careful with Paul. This is 1 of many examples.

I would be careful with the advice of all the folks I mentioned (and anyone else). Approaching unconventional ideas with a healthy dose of skepticism is generally wise. As I said, I don't fully agree with everything Saladino says, but I do see merit in his general argument and appreciate the alternative viewpoint he brings forth.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
This an alarming trend. Most people it seems don't know how to cook without a microwave.

I cook all my lunches for the week on Sunday (outside of hunting season) and cook nightly or have leftovers. I don't know how people afford to eat out 4-5 times a week.

Same way it seems most are going on sheep hunts…put it on credit.

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for the recommendation OP; I'll add that book to my reading list. I've been diving down lots of health-related rabbit holes in recent years. For those with an open mind willing to entertain alternative viewpoints on health/medicine/nutrition, here are some other names to check out. I don't fully agree with everything these folks say—and some of their theories are pretty far out there—but they provide some interesting food for thought:
  • Paul Saladino - best known as carnivore diet advocate but also discusses many other topics on his podcast
  • Nina Teicholz - nutrition, author of The Big Fat Surprise
  • Thomas Cowan - heart health, cancer, vaccines
  • Thomas Seyfried - Tripping Over the Truth is a good layman-oriented introduction to his ideas on cancer
  • Stephen Cabral - discusses a wide range of topics from a "functional medicine" perspective on his podcast
  • Dan Stachofsky - health effects of electromagnetic radiation
  • Wim Hof - deep breathing, cold therapy
Thanks to the OP for this thread. I’ve got Casey’s book as a result of the Tucker podcast.

I agree with many on the above list, and the caveat that I don’t agree with all of what some say (except for Nina - I think her work is amazing).

Add to the list of the above: Brain Energy, by Chris Palmer, MD.

One other heads up. There is an organization/effort underway involving some of the above authors and a grassroots movement to actually do something to try to make a change. I will share more info for anyone interested when I can.

To me this is an incredibly important issue. I’m willing to dedicate my time and money to it.

feanor

WKR
Thanks to the OP for this thread. I’ve got Casey’s book as a result of the Tucker podcast.

I agree with many on the above list, and the caveat that I don’t agree with all of what some say (except for Nina - I think her work is amazing).

Add to the list of the above: Brain Energy, by Chris Palmer, MD.

One other heads up. There is an organization/effort underway involving some of the above authors and a grassroots movement to actually do something to try to make a change. I will share more info for anyone interested when I can.

To me this is an incredibly important issue. I’m willing to dedicate my time and money to it.
I appreciated that the brother has been waist deep in the lobbyist effort to control these things, and knows what it takes to tip the scales. He offered some pretty simple ideas to start changing things immediately.

A lot of times, it’s a big problem with no good answers. But I really think he could be on to something if he gets the right politician’s attention.

As I check out at the grocery store I am amazed at the absolute junk people have in their grocery carts.

Hit Winco this afternoon. My cart was mostly fruits and veggies, a little bit of chicken/pork, and a 30 round magazine of PBR (that’ll last me two months).

The cart ahead of me was chocolate pies, Rockstars, pizza pockets, an assortment of cheese whiz and stuff, and a few other nondescript highly processed items.

I’m no dietary saint, but we rarely eat out and lunch is almost always leftovers. We don’t eat fancy, tonight it’s roasted potatoes, grilled chicken thighs and grilled zucchini.

We bake our own sourdough bread every week. Black coffee. No Red Bull. No sweetener or cream in coffees.

But then, there is Dairy Queen…

There were 2 other people besides me at the gym this afternoon. 6 cars in the McDonald’s drive through, 5 more cars at Zaxbys.

Source of the problem seems pretty straightforward to me.
It’s the food…if you can even call it that.
50, 60, 70 years ago nobody had a gym membership and the population was in far better shape metabolically. Hard exercise is a definite bonus, but it’s what people cram in their pie hole everyday that is killing them.

Hat745

FNG
There are good additives in the U.S. which are banned in some European country

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Hey! What's wrong with a little Velveeta over your tortilla chips?? Bahaha

Health care is an interesting business, particularly when that's where you've spent your whole career. Education regarding nutrition can vary from program to program but far too often it's just the necessary basics for the clinical role being preformed. But in general it's farrrr more than the basic non clinical lay person will have ... including all the "I read a book...I studied it on the Internet...my [fill in the blank] is a nutritionist and they said ...". And generally most physician practices and hospitals have a highly trained dietician available to them and the patient.

Regarding the food topic, when we shop, we take a pretty basic approach - we take any and all ingredient labels as warning labels. If we can avoid it, we do. We tend to eat a little lean meat, vegetables of many different kinds, and fruit. And hopefully no restaurants depend on us to keep them afloat. We eat out so infrequently it gets hard to remember the last time we did at times.

fwafwow

WKR
And generally most physician practices and hospitals have a highly trained dietician available to them and the patient.
Here is where I find some challenges in the system. It is my understanding that physicians receive very little training in nutrition, and I believe many dieticians and medical professionals (especially hospitals) are constrained to following the U.S. Dietary Guidelines - which, IMHO, have severe flaws. https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/the-issue

I do agree with anyone who eats whole foods. I do not personally believe that restricting or limiting meat or fat is beneficial. YMMV.

Here is where I find some challenges in the system. It is my understanding that physicians receive very little training in nutrition, and I believe many dieticians and medical professionals (especially hospitals) are constrained to following the U.S. Dietary Guidelines - which, IMHO, have severe flaws. https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/the-issue

I do agree with anyone who eats whole foods. I do not personally believe that restricting or limiting meat or fat is beneficial. YMMV.
Was visiting with a mountain biking friend who just happens to be in his residency right now. Asked him this exact question. One entire nutrition class in 4 years of med school.

OP
darcytribe
Interestingly RFK dropped Casey’s name, I believe during his recent speech where he endorsed Trump at a rally and it seems it’s an area he is passionate about. Trump said he was going to task a group headed by RFK to begin addressing health issues in our country.

IDVortex

WKR
I've been bitching the last week-ish to my wife that my stomach looks like a heifer. Read this thread then remember back to last week almost getting fast food daily fir lunch... yeah, I need to work on a diet change.

At least my lunch for the week I prepped yesterday, so I just need to quit being a American and not be lazy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My grandmother lived in a nursing home the last 10 years of her life (she died 4 days short of 100). But I remember at one point she was on her death bed and had been taking $1000/mo worth of meds. My dad said "no more", so they took her off everything........and she got better, and lived another 4 years without a single drug. Ya, pharma is all about the money and keeping people thinking they need these meds.

I have an appointment in October with a new primary care physician who has specialized in palliative care and his group isn't owned by a big hospital. My wife sees this doc and she said every time she's been there they've spent more time time talking to her and discussing lifestyle solutions to health issues than she's ever experienced at any other doctor.

I'll be talking to this doctor about the possibility of making some changes to hopefully discontinue using my toxic vision saving drugs at some point. Of course, I just randomly started going blind and started treatment at one of the top few opthalmic centers in the country, so I trust their opinions but they even told me they don't really know the root cause of my issue and they don't really have a name for it. "Idiopathic" is what they say... And it just so happens that immunosuppressant drugs like humira and methotrexate work to prevent it from getting worse and they use Prednisone (for anti-inflammatoion) to bridge the gap until the former two toxins start working. So it's linked somehow to inflammation and immune system. Well with the 2 toxins, I have to take folic acid every day and my wife has been making me take iron supplements because the blood work I've had to have regularly shows I'm a little anemic (although not low iron anemic). I also have had to see a rheumatologist due to the nature of these drugs.... Freaking rheumatologists!!!!! GD MF'ers.... If I've ever hated a type of doctor before it's those A-holes. "Oh.... You have this issue due to your drug? I think the problem is you're not taking enough drugs. Have some of these drugs. They're great and we can counteract the side effects with these other drugs. And while you're at it, you should get these 5 vaccines because you're taking immunosuppressant drugs". Well F you drug dealer with a degree. Even with these drugs I'm taking, I get a cold maybe 3 more times per year than regular and they last a little longer. Big deal.

I will have to talk to this doctor about a low inflammation diet/lifestyle and see what his opinion is.

Ok, rant over, I guess. I'm not one for dismissing academic research as conspiracy theory, but the last 2 years has upped my hatred of insurance companies, big pharma, and doctors (except my opthalmologist) about 10000x and they were already on my shitlist.

S.Clancy

WKR
It boils down to an unfathomable lack of activity, eating way too much and being stressed out of your mind trying to buy shit you won't even use.

As far as reading food labels, we just grocery shopped yesterday, I honestly think there were 1 or 2 things in the entire cart that would have required a label. The only thing with labels would be sourdough bread and I bought some cereal for post workout. Now, when I am hunting I buy garbage, but, that stuff makes it easier to get the calories in, which is what I need then.

And, as far as science "lying". It's not science that lies, it's how the media portrays the science to serve their narrative. They (media) misrepresent data ALL THE TIME. If you go and read the actual literature, you'll find that it very rarely supports what the media is saying, regardless of issue.