A health revolution brewing?

IDVortex

WKR
It boils down to an unfathomable lack of activity, eating way too much and being stressed out of your mind trying to buy shi
And, as far as science "lying". It's not science that lies, it's how the media portrays the science to serve their narrative. They (media) misrepresent data ALL THE TIME. If you go and read the actual literature, you'll find that it very rarely supports what the media is saying, regardless of issue.
So what you're saying is if we get rid of smart phones, tvs, etc. We would be happier and healthier?

Poser

WKR
I'm of the increasing believe that civilization may have reach its peak in the 1990s. It was perhaps the perfect balance of technology as convenience: Vehicles were reliable, had enough technology to be functionable but you could still reasonably work on them. We had basic internet, but no smart phones. You had to apply yourself to obtain information, research and navigation, but you still had supplementary tools and date available to you without having to manually sift through books.

The downsides were that working from home was still very difficult, hard to come by and often triggered IRS audits and you didn't. have YouTube tutroials for all things DIY.

Hit Winco this afternoon. My cart was mostly fruits and veggies, a little bit of chicken/pork, and a 30 round magazine of PBR (that’ll last me two months).

The cart ahead of me was chocolate pies, Rockstars, pizza pockets, an assortment of cheese whiz and stuff, and a few other nondescript highly processed items.

I’m no dietary saint, but we rarely eat out and lunch is almost always leftovers. We don’t eat fancy, tonight it’s roasted potatoes, grilled chicken thighs and grilled zucchini.

We bake our own sourdough bread every week. Black coffee. No Red Bull. No sweetener or cream in coffees.

But then, there is Dairy Queen…
That first row walking into Winco is the worst! My wife and I eat pretty clean, but that first aisle gets me pretty frequently.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm of the increasing believe that civilization may have reach its peak in the 1990s. It was perhaps the perfect balance of technology as convenience: Vehicles were reliable, had enough technology to be functionable but you could still reasonably work on them. We had basic internet, but no smart phones. You had to apply yourself to obtain information, research and navigation, but you still had supplementary tools and date available to you without having to manually sift through books.

The downsides were that working from home was still very difficult, hard to come by and often triggered IRS audits and you didn't. have YouTube tutroials for all things DIY.
I've been thinking about this alot too and I think you are right. The 80's-90's (maybe early 2000's) were the heyday. About the only reason I wish I was older would be to experience those decades as an adult.

CorbLand

WKR

As far as tech goes, this is one hundred percent my feelings as well. The 90s into about 05 was a pretty great time. Wish I was a little older for that time period but I will take having actually been able to experience them.

LostArra

WKR
Hopefully our great great grandkids will look back on the 2020's and say "WTF were those people thinking??!!" but possibly they will be an inflamed pile of human goo sitting before a screen not thinking at all.

Weldor

WKR
Same way it seems most are going on sheep hunts…put it on credit.
Right on, the young people I used to work with would eat out or buy lunch,dinner whatever on the plastic. During the covid craze they were even worse. They probably ate more processed food in a day than I have in ten years. I know people now making house payment with a card, pure crazy.

Health care is an interesting business, particularly when that's where you've spent your whole career. Education regarding nutrition can vary from program to program but far too often it's just the necessary basics for the clinical role being preformed. But in general it's farrrr more than the basic non clinical lay person will have ... including all the "I read a book...I studied it on the Internet...my [fill in the blank] is a nutritionist and they said ...". And generally most physician practices and hospitals have a highly trained dietician available to them and the patient.
A couple things here…
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but during your career the population has gotten progressively sicker. The reasons for that are multi factor, but the base for it is clearly diet. The experts have been telling us that their “food pyramid” …low fat/high carb diet was essential to good health. You can look at a graph from when they started pushing it 40 something years ago to now and the rate of T2 diabetes, obesity and a host of other chronic illnesses takes off looking like one of Elon Musk’s rockets.
Go into any PCPs practice today and you’ll get the same food pyramid/moderation dietary advice. God forbid you end up in the hospital where the “highly trained dietitian” will serve you the most ultra processed, off the chart high glycemic index garbage they can come up with, but they’re the experts so we shouldn’t question that.
Meanwhile, thousands of people have conquered a myriad of chronic diseases by doing a little research and…I know this is going to sound crazy…reading books. For a lot of us it turns out that disregarding the advice of healthcare’s dietary experts has been a key factor in restoring our health.

fwafwow

WKR
A couple things here…
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but during your career the population has gotten progressively sicker. The reasons for that are multi factor, but the base for it is clearly diet. The experts have been telling us that their “food pyramid” …low fat/high carb diet was essential to good health. You can look at a graph from when they started pushing it 40 something years ago to now and the rate of T2 diabetes, obesity and a host of other chronic illnesses takes off looking like one of Elon Musk’s rockets.
Go into any PCPs practice today and you’ll get the same food pyramid/moderation dietary advice. God forbid you end up in the hospital where the “highly trained dietitian” will serve you the most ultra processed, off the chart high glycemic index garbage they can come up with, but they’re the experts so we shouldn’t question that.
Meanwhile, thousands of people have conquered a myriad of chronic diseases by doing a little research and…I know this is going to sound crazy…reading books. For a lot of us it turns out that disregarding the advice of healthcare’s dietary experts has been a key factor in restoring our health.
Well said. The media and most of the public are quick to confuse correlation and causation when it suits their pithy narratives ("drinking red wine will make you healthier!"), or which makes life easy. But they/we bury their heads in the sand when it comes to the correlation for increases in disease, chronic conditions and mental health issues. Nothing to see here! (Note - high correlations in those problems doesn't mean we know what caused them, but those correlations are a very good sign that more time should be spent trying to figure out those causes.)

@wnelson14 said above that doctors should be paid for fixes. I expect that would take an overhaul of the medical and insurance systems, but why isn't it possible? We put men on the moon, so why can't we figure out a system in which insurance helps to subsidize good food? (This is rhetorical - money is the answer as to why.) And a system in which doctors are paid more for patients who come in for preventative care? (You can find those doctors, but the way the system works now, I have to pay mine out of pocket for that approach.) I know there are some things on the margin - like I can get some "free" money put in my HSA if I answer some questions and provide my weight, and some other basic stuff - but that is pretty limited (maybe $200 IIRC).

BTW, my concierge doctor is very good, and while we agree on many things (including the irrelevance of my "good" and "bad" cholesterol numbers), he didn't like my idea of a few years ago of getting a continuous glucose monitor ("you're not sick or even pre-diabetic, so don't waste your money"). The Casey book mentioned by the OP goes into some detail, so I'm going to revisit the idea with him.

And as far as "wasting money" - that guy has no idea how good I am at wasting money, and how trivial a CGM cost is in relation to the addictions fostered by Rokslide.

180ls1

WKR
Well said. The media and most of the public are quick to confuse correlation and causation when it suits their pithy narratives ("drinking red wine will make you healthier!"), or which makes life easy. But they/we bury their heads in the sand when it comes to the correlation for increases in disease, chronic conditions and mental health issues. Nothing to see here! (Note - high correlations in those problems doesn't mean we know what caused them, but those correlations are a very good sign that more time should be spent trying to figure out those causes.)

@wnelson14 said above that doctors should be paid for fixes. I expect that would take an overhaul of the medical and insurance systems, but why isn't it possible? We put men on the moon, so why can't we figure out a system in which insurance helps to subsidize good food? (This is rhetorical - money is the answer as to why.) And a system in which doctors are paid more for patients who come in for preventative care? (You can find those doctors, but the way the system works now, I have to pay mine out of pocket for that approach.) I know there are some things on the margin - like I can get some "free" money put in my HSA if I answer some questions and provide my weight, and some other basic stuff - but that is pretty limited (maybe $200 IIRC).

BTW, my concierge doctor is very good, and while we agree on many things (including the irrelevance of my "good" and "bad" cholesterol numbers), he didn't like my idea of a few years ago of getting a continuous glucose monitor ("you're not sick or even pre-diabetic, so don't waste your money"). The Casey book mentioned by the OP goes into some detail, so I'm going to revisit the idea with him.

And as far as "wasting money" - that guy has no idea how good I am at wasting money, and how trivial a CGM cost is in relation to the addictions fostered by Rokslide.

Yeah, incentivizing proper behavior is powerful. When I setup 401K plans, if we auto-enroll people participation is over 90%. If we leave people to enroll on their own its closer 50%.

That said (I do group health as well) and I remember a lady complaining to me that all her doctor could do for her is tell her to lose weight. She wanted some other "solution" to her ailments. I think there are more in that boat than we care to admit.

I've been thinking about this alot too and I think you are right. The 80's-90's (maybe early 2000's) were the heyday. About the only reason I wish I was older would be to experience those decades as an adult.

As far as tech goes, this is one hundred percent my feelings as well. The 90s into about 05 was a pretty great time. Wish I was a little older for that time period but I will take having actually been able to experience them.

I'm curious on you guys' ages. I feel the same way. I'm 37.

I think some of the technology available in the early 2000s was great.... Seems like there was enough available to help prevent a lot of environmental and medical issues. But, the Internet wasn't what it is now and we weren't so globally connected all the time.

I love the Internet for learning, but I think we'd be better off as a species without it. Boy, that would be a fun idea for a fiction book. What would today be like without the Internet

schmalzy

WKR
I'm curious on you guys' ages. I feel the same way. I'm 37.

I think some of the technology available in the early 2000s was great.... Seems like there was enough available to help prevent a lot of environmental and medical issues. But, the Internet wasn't what it is now and we weren't so globally connected all the time.

I love the Internet for learning, but I think we'd be better off as a species without it. Boy, that would be a fun idea for a fiction book. What would today be like without the Internet

Friendlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^

32 here, I agree. I was around for the early days of the internet/social media/ massive technology booms.

I rely on it (job), wish I didn't, and would love to go back to those days where you actually were doing things instead of being online.

Ive really started going down the rabbit hole of diet this year. I always tried to eat healthy(or what was supposed to be healthy), sometimes succeeding and sometimes not. That said I still succumb to my demons way more than I want as far as food is concerned. Even the so called healthy stuff is not as healthy as it once was, due to GMO, etc.... We are as a society suffering from Glyphosate poisoning, sugar addiction, inflammation from processed foods, etc. Shoot I picked up some vitamins the other day, afterward I read about how those particular ones are made, and threw them away. Nearly all vitamins are chemically produced, and most you can get from your diet if you don't follow the standard american diet (SAD).

When I do what I am supposed to, I try and follow the simple rule that: If it comes in a bag, can, box, or bottle you shouldn't eat it. Obviously there are some caveats to that.... If you can't pronounce it you probably shouldn't eat it. Also starting to lean toward organic. It's not perfect but better than the alternative.

Just think about how our grandparents ate. Meat, potatoes, veggies, maybe fresh homemade bread. Even dessert in moderation. Black coffee, etc.... Look at pics of people in the 40's, 50's, and even the 60's. Everyone is skinny. I really believe the late 40's and 50's started the decline in our diets, and it has only gotten worse.

I do take one cholesterol med (really as an experiment) but have done enough research to know I really probably don't need it and will get some more bloodwork done and will most likely drop it as well if I can get all the rest of my BS in order.

I can see here that we have hiked the same trail 😂
Probably the biggest hurdle we face as a country in regard to healthcare is that throughout the system the $$$ incentives are all stacked against the patients. If this were not the case the epidemic of chronic disease would vanish overnight, but clearly there is way too much money being harvested from this perpetually sick and getting sicker population.
You wanted a CGM to aide yourself in keeping track of your metabolic health and being able to see in real time how your diet affects it. To me that seems reasonable that someone would take an interest in preserving their most precious asset…their health. I made a less costly request to my PCP several years ago…add HbA1c to my annual blood test, one of the cheapest tests available. Not only did my PCP deny it, he then proceeded to give me a lecture on how I would be causing healthcare costs to go up. He actually says this to one of his few patients who is working to stay healthy and is on no medication. I walked out that day and never went back.
My next PCP sees my lipid panel and about has a stroke…couldn’t get his prescription pad out fast enough. I told him thanks but no thanks. To his credit when I came back a year later with a nearly identical lipid panel he said it looked good…apparently he was as capable of reading as I was 😂
I’m cautiously optimistic that the health/diet topic has entered the political realm. If people can just get a little taste of what it feels like to feel good again perhaps we can start turning this massive freighter around. I know for me that feeling great on a daily basis has been a huge motivating factor in staying the course.

I recommend everyone get a full set of bloodwork done and then get a Heart Calcium CT scan to figure out how much artery blockage you may have. Then adjust diet to weedout junk and get on a consistent exercise program. That should give you a good baseline on what you really may need to work on. in my uneducated opinion, that can fix a lot of things people are dealing with.

Seed oils are the devils. Animal fats, red meat, butter are your friend. I went hardcore carnivore for 2 years and slowly added fruit back into the diet for higher cardio and swimming sessions.

Mental heath is awesome, physical health is amazing. 37 and in better shape now then I was at 18 in the Corps. Stop following the sad and eat meat and real food for 6 months. No processed crap or sugar. You won’t recognize your self physically and mentally! All for the better.

What do you need to say to your doctor to get them to order this?
I asked my doctor and he agreed based on my cholesterol numbers. He was expecting decent blockage and was making threats about statins being prescribed. I got the scan and had a 1. 0 is no blockage. Scale goes up into the hundreds so its not 1-10. Insurance usually doesn't cover it, but it was 99 bucks. Doctor recommended I get one very year and I agree due to family history.

Side note-I eaten poorly most of the time throughout adulthood. I worked in the field 20 years and I think the activity is what helped. I think I would be in dire straights if I had been sitting at a desk. Family history of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease. But you never know without the real data.