A few suppressor questions

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think I read somewhere you also have an omega, right? How does the sound level compare to the omega with that anchor brake on the scythe?
I have a TBAC ultra 7, scythe ti and a banish 30. The banish 30 is clearly louder than the other 2, the TBAC and scythe seem just as good as each other but the scythe is like 2.5 ounces lighter than the ultra 7. I put the Hanson bros flat end cap on the scythe, I havnt shot it yet with the brake.

OP
H
I went with a scythe and am now agonizing over it being a week and half into approval when I was expecting 2-3 days from what the Scheels manager told me. I did the individual application so hopefully it won't go too much longer.

I also found a local guy that is cutting the barrel just enough to get an OD of 0.630 and will then thread to 5/8 with a permanent collar installed. I think it will end up around 22" based on my measurements. $175 for that work, so not too bad considering he's cutting and recrowning it.

I went with a scythe and am now agonizing over it being a week and half into approval when I was expecting 2-3 days from what the Scheels manager told me. I did the individual application so hopefully it won't go too much longer.

I also found a local guy that is cutting the barrel just enough to get an OD of 0.630 and will then thread to 5/8 with a permanent collar installed. I think it will end up around 22" based on my measurements. $175 for that work, so not too bad considering he's cutting and recrowning it.
lol a week and half! Try waiting a year to get approved.

OP
H
Booyah. Cut it back to a diameter of 0.630 and had a permanent shoulder installed. Should still be about 22" long. About $200 with the thread cap included and the work looks solid. Now to wait for my suppressor to be approved.

1000001325.jpg

1000001326.jpg

Booyah. Cut it back to a diameter of 0.630 and had a permanent shoulder installed. Should still be about 22" long. About $200 with the thread cap included and the work looks solid. Now to wait for my suppressor to be approved.

View attachment 735608

View attachment 735609

Looks good.

I just hit the range yesterday with my buddy who just got his 3 Scythes approved last week. That is a sweet can. I really can't justify another 30 cal can right now or I would be at my LGS right now putting in my paperwork for one.

OP
H
One other question. This is the first threaded barrel I've had. Shooting with the thread protector on, does anything special need to be done to ensure it stays tight? Just hand tight? Use nail polish on threads?

Taudisio

WKR
One other question. This is the first threaded barrel I've had. Shooting with the thread protector on, does anything special need to be done to ensure it stays tight? Just hand tight? Use nail polish on threads?
I have used blue loctite on them and as tight as I can with my finger, so I don’t have to think about it falling off. Never had any issues and I always have the loctite around for scopes and screws.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why would you shoot it with the thread protector on if you have a silencer?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Exactly. I keep em but thread protectors might as well go in my trash if the barrel is threaded, cause its not getting shot without a suppressor..
Yup, at this point I have a silencer on every gun that I have threaded for them. Thread protectors are just put into a ziplock and tossed in a gear box.

OP
H
Yup, at this point I have a silencer on every gun that I have threaded for them. Thread protectors are just put into a ziplock and tossed in a gear box.
I don't have the suppressor yet. Sent in my individual form on June 21, but have not heard anything back yet despite Scheels telling me they were seeing them approved in just a couple of days around then. The FBI liaison told me that my application is in queue to be processed, but they've experienced slower processing times recently due to increased number of applicants. So there's no telling when I'll get my espressor and I'd like to shoot my gun in the meantime

Taudisio

WKR
I don't have the suppressor yet. Sent in my individual form on June 21, but have not heard anything back yet despite Scheels telling me they were seeing them approved in just a couple of days around then. The FBI liaison told me that my application is in queue to be processed, but they've experienced slower processing times recently due to increased number of applicants. So there's no telling when I'll get my espressor and I'd like to shoot my gun in the meantime
Ask a very simple question, get responses that don’t help you. Then you give them an explanation?

You should have responded with, “Yeah, I hate the suppressor and like my guns loud, like the lord intended.”
I can think of 2 valid reasons you may want to use a thread protector even if you had your suppressor. 🙄

AZJesse

FNG
Scythe ti. Figured I'd go with the cheapest and lightest option to mount up on that 5/8 direct thread, while trying to maximize thread size on my barrel, thread adapter or not
Scythe ti is a fantastic can. Either direct thread or pick up a bravo mount. I have a couple titanium ones from SD tactical, fantastic products and great people.