A Budget Hunting Rifle Build

My interest in bolt action rifles started approximately 13 years ago. My first rifle was a black Friday special Mosin Nagant from Big 5. This rifle started my journey down the rabbit hole of precision rifles. I eventually landed on a Remington 700. I currently shoot a Zermatt Arms Origins SA which I run as a switch barrel setup 6.5cm and 7RSAUM. I love this rifle but I’m tired of switching barrels when hunting season rolls around so I want a rifle that stays setup year around. My love for precision bolt guns got me wanting to explore a budget build option.

Not everyone is in a financial place where they can drop $5k on a single rifle build so I wanted to create a thread on a budget option. My goal is to build a savage 7prc for less than what I could buy the Savage Ultralight for. In this thread, I believe I accomplished just that.

My goal was to find a cost-effective rifle that checks the following boxes:
  • Approximately $600
  • Caliber 7PRC
  • MOA accuracy
  • Sub 10lbs (rifle plus optic)
  • Aftermarket options
Based on the above check list the rifle that interested me the most was the Savage Model 110 Trail Hunter Lite. The savage model 110 Trail Hunter Lite is available in 7PRC, weighs approximately 7lbs, factory threaded muzzle, and I was able to purchase it for $550.

Another rifle I considered was the Ruger American Gen 2 but ultimately decided that the Savage checked more of the boxes for me. I have several friends that own the Ruger American and they have all been incredibly accurate. The biggest reason I didn’t want to go with the Ruger is because there are not as many aftermarket accessories available.

Initial rifle review:

Out of the box, the Savage 110 Trail Hunter Lite is a very basic rifle. It comes with a 20-inch barrel, cerakote tungsten paint, threaded muzzle, Hogue Stock, and an accu-trigger. For a $600 rifle, I had low expectations when it came to fit and finish.

IMG_8169.jpeg

Hogue Stock:

One thing that I noticed was the barrel was not completely free-floating. At first, I thought the action was warped because the barrel was touching the left side of the Hogue stocks barrel channel. I used a sharp knife to cut back part of the barrel channel to ensure the barrel was free-floating. Additionally, the forend of the stock is a wet noodle and if you were to shoot off a bipod you would see the forend of the stock flex into the barrel.

Trigger:

The trigger was nothing to write home about out of the box was set to 4lbs and was able to be lowered to approximately 3lbs.

Bolt:

The bolt on the Savage model 110 is stiff if compared to a 700 clone rifle action. To cycle the action I would sometimes have to break my shooting position to lift the bolt on a fired case. This isn’t the biggest issue to me but it is annoying.

Accuracy:

The accuracy of this rifle has shown promise. I shot a 5-shot group where 4 of the five shots were under a moa approximately .75. The fifth shot was a flyer and opened the group to 1.25. For me, this showed me the rifle will be capable with some basic upgrades.
IMG_8211.jpeg

Optic:

For this build, I chose to use a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44. I had this as an extra scope in my safe and I feel this is a pretty good bang for the buck optic. Glass quality is impressive for a 600-dollar optic out of China.

Upgrades:
  • Stocky Stocks VG2
  • Accu-trigger target spring
  • SRS pic/arca rail
  • Get Outlier 2 port muzzle brake
  • Glades Bolt handle
Rifle weighs 9lbs 7oz with upgrades

Total rifle cost after upgrades (not including glass): $1100

IMG_8222.jpeg
IMG_8203.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg
Stocky Stock:

The Stocky VG2 is an awesome upgrade. It has changed the way the gun feels and the action/barrel feels much more secure. A big difference is the forend of the rifle is now ridged and sturdy, not flexible.

Bolt:

I also received the Desh bolt lift kit which is supposed to smooth out the bolt lift. It’s hard to tell how much of a difference this upgrade made. Between the Desh bolt lift kit and the new bolt handle the bolt runs smooth.

IMG_8223.jpeg

Accuracy:

Now that the rifle is in a new stock I wanted to see if there is a change in accuracy. I just broke 100rds down the pipe so the barrel is broken in now. Below is a photo of the target. Groups seem to have tightened up significantly and I believe with some handloads this rifle will shoot consistently sub-moa. Groups are with 175eldx avg velocity 2730fps.

IMG_8235.jpeg

I’ll make another post after I work up a handload for the rifle.

Last edited: