A Big Thank You to Lathrop and Sons!!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fine folks at Lathrop and Sons got both Luke and I set up with new Hanwags this season, and I can't say thank you enough! Luke is using the Hanwag Alaskans and I have the Lady Alaskans with the Synergy foot beds. Stephen and everyone else at Lathrop and Sons went above an beyond to get me fitted in the right size boots, even having us send photos and measurements of other insoles I had used to ensure I would get a good fit.

After 100+ miles so far this season, through creeks, scree fields and snow I have been sure footed without so much as a hotspot. The full shank lets me cut into mountain sides and sidehill with ease, despite wet vegetation and heavy pack loads.

So thanks again to everyone at Lathrop and Sons! If you are in the market for new mountain boots, I highly recommend checking out the Hanwag Alaskan series!

8054520A-4AF8-4FAB-9985-5240A1FC196A-9663-00000E5FD7244CCD.jpg

2061B82B-1A8A-41C2-AB1E-17A750B3103F-9663-00000E6014529C54.jpg

19DDEA0C-C943-4A9A-836D-A641782B42B0-9663-00000E5FB2908C2A.jpg

Hey Becca,

I've got a set of the Alaskans recently as my "light" boots. I like them so far, but are you sure they are full shank? Mine are noticeably LESS rigid than my Kenetreks in both flex and torsion, and the Kenetreks are supposedly a partial shank. Not a issue to me, since I don't require a super stiff shank, but they are a full shank, they must be something fairly flexible by mountain boot standards.

Of course part of the difference I see might be that I'm wearing a much larger (US 11.5) boot than you are. More leverage = more flex.

Yk

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for my delayed response YK, we have been out of touch in the field (and are headed back in tomorrow). I went ahead and double checked, the Alaska Lady GTX (and I presume the men's version as well) have a full nylon shank. This is admittedly my first pair of full shank boots, but having previously used both half and 3/4 shank boots I have been pleased with the the increased level of stiffness in both flex and torsion...could certainly be what I am comparing them to, but they have gotten me everywhere I wanted to go in the mountains this season and exceeded my expectations.

I admit my tiny feet probably also make a difference, as I wear a women's size 6 or 37.5 in Hanwag sizing which is about a men's 4...

Thanks for checking on that Becca. I can certainly buy it being a nylon shank. I'm just seeing a little more flex because my 180 lb body puts much more leverage on the toe of my size 46 that you do on a 37.5...

I would say that it's plenty stiff enough for the majority of mountain users, and even though the sole has more torsional flex than the Kenetrek Mt Extremes, the ankle support is better, which makes it better at sidehilling in my opinion. Also really like the lacing system.

Yk