A better way to measure powder?

cjcavinaw

FNG
I'm looking for a way to up my reloading and can't figure out which direction to go... I am currently running the hornady powder throw and trickler as well as the pocket scale from them as well (all of the items that come in the lock n load kit). My question is does it make more sense to go to something like the frankford intellidropper/ RCBS chargemaster, or do I upgrade my scale and trickler and go that route. Main reloading purposes are hunting and long range precision (looking to start NRL/PRS). All suggestions welcomed!

Some people love the motorized powder dispensers. I personally hated mine and was tickled to get my money back on it. I’ll just hand trickle and be happy

Lawnboi

WKR
If you can swing it order a v4 autotrickler and skip the chargemaster class of tricklers.

You say loading for prs/nrl that means making a lot of ammo. The v4 is not only more accurate it’s a hell of a lot faster, with way less over/under throws.

OP
C

cjcavinaw

FNG
If you can swing it order a v4 autotrickler and skip the chargemaster class of tricklers.

You say loading for prs/nrl that means making a lot of ammo. The v4 is not only more accurate it’s a hell of a lot faster, with way less over/under throws.
I would love the V4, just can't swing it for awhile so was looking for a step to take before I can get there.

Lawnboi

WKR
Varget, H1000, staball 6.5 for the most part. was going to start playing with H4350 a little more too.

The chargemaster can be a bit of a pain with most of the extruded powders, Varget wasn’t terrible but mine overthrew h4350 20 +% of the time. Drove me nuts. And it only gave .1 grain accuracy. The autotrickler now gives me .02 grain accuracy. If there is any way…. I’d just jump in to an auto trickler right away. Two biggest time savers at my bench are the auto trickler and giraud.

I got okay performance from the chargemaster though. Know guys who shoot way better than I do using them.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I switched over to a Chargemaster combo several years ago. Best thing I ever done. Very accurate and easy to use. I wouldn’t load without it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Varget, H1000, staball 6.5 for the most part. was going to start playing with H4350 a little more too.

Stick powders don’t cause any issues with the Chargemaster. Ball powders tend to bounce off the pan, but it ain’t a big deal.

I've used the Chargemaster combo for many years now. I pre-ordered the autotrickler V4 + A&D FX-120i back in August,

I find myself waiting on the Chargemaster more than I'd like plus I was looking for a more accurate scale just because.

All in all, I don't have any real complaints with the Chargemaster combo I guess.

Rob5589

WKR
Had a Chargemaster, currently using the Lite version. No issues throwing, as accurate as my calibrated beam scale for both. The CM will give you access to settings that can speed things up if you choose.

eoperator

WKR
Switching from chargemaster to v4 changed my es from twenties and thirties into teens.

OP
C

cjcavinaw

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up ordering the chargemaster. I figure I'll run that for a little bit to see how I like it and then I'll be able to use that if I make a pre-order for the V4 while I wait for it to show up.

Petwa

FNG
I've had a Chargemaster for quite a while now. It's not perfect but it my opinion it has it all over my powder dump + 505 scale and a trickler. I wouldn't want to load with out it.

Vern400

WKR
I'm looking for a way to up my reloading and can't figure out which direction to go... I am currently running the hornady powder throw and trickler as well as the pocket scale from them as well (all of the items that come in the lock n load kit). My question is does it make more sense to go to something like the frankford intellidropper/ RCBS chargemaster, or do I upgrade my scale and trickler and go that route. Main reloading purposes are hunting and long range precision (looking to start NRL/PRS). All suggestions welcomed!
I got the RCBS chargemaster light. It does everything I need. It can meter 45 or 50 grains of powder in exactly the amount of time I can stuff a bullet and gage the cartridge. I've had very little trouble with over or undercharges unless I bump the table real hard while it's running.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
If you’re prone to cuss when frustrated, then buy a Chargemaster. Sometimes you’ll adore it & other times only a good cussin’ makes it behave. It really does help. 😁😆

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gone full circle on this and have ended up with the top of the line auto powder throwers. That being said I am likely going to sell them and buy a handful of Frankfort aresenal intellidroppers. Does tiny varience in powder matter for benchrest shooters? Yup for sure, but it doesn’t matter for hunters. Buy a handful of them and save yourself a ton of time at the bench.

Vern400

WKR
I got the chargemaster lite. 90% of the time when it does Miss a charge over or under, it's because I bumped the table while it was approaching the target load weight. It is very sensitive to that even if you think your table is relatively rigid and stiff. I suspect a lot of other people who are missing charge weights may have the same problem and just don't recognize it. Of course I'm not positive with that.

It does everything I need. I check length on every loaded cartridge so by the time I pressed the bullet, and checked it the next charge is ready.

I've used reloader 15, 4064, Varget, benchmark and precision rifle powder with it. I bought one for my brother also and he loves it.

Brass cleaning, inspection, and preparation and then cleaning one last time is more important than fretting over a tenth of a grain.

My testing has shown that in my rifles, 0.1 grain of powder variation is largely irrelevant to my group sizes at 200 yd.