916 Yard Washington Buck

I started the regular Washington modern firearm season with my 5 yr old with me at deer camp. we spent the first 5 days of the season finding areas and figuring out how best to hunt them. We found a few good areas and spotted many elk and few deer. I knew it would be challenging hunting with him but he enjoyed the hell out of the trip so it was completely worth it. I knew it was a long shot when we spotted elk at almost 900 yards and they where looking right at us. On Wed it was the long drive back to Ellensburg to switch the little guy out with my best friend. My buddy has never harvested an animal before so I was basically attempting to guide him to his first animal. I had been working with him during the off season on longrange shooting and had him dialed to 700 in as much as 7 mph crosswinds so I felt confident in his shooting. First day started with a 3 mile hike and got on 3 spikes. Next morning got way out on a ridge and spotted 8 doe and 2 bucks, one a 2x2 and the other a 1x2 so no shooters. We also saw over 120 elk so good day. He was a little tired after the 2 hunts and wanted to listen to the Seahawks game Thursday evening so I picked a spot where we could glass close to the truck. 30 minutes before gametime I spotted a deer way down in the canyon about 2500 yards away with my binos so I got out the ziess spotter. I looked at him for awhile and he looked like a solid 2x2. My buddy couldn't locate the deer in his binos so he looked through the spotter and agreed that it was a 2x2. I zoomed it in to 75x and thought I saw a little crap claw on the left side this time, I looked at him and said I think we got a legal buck, lets get closer. My buddy is not as excited as me when it comes to Billy Goating it around the canyons as I am but he tried it anyway. He said he would catch up and told me to get to a shotting position. The first spot I found was 950 or something yards. I got a better look at him now and he has a third point so we are all good. He looks at where we came from and then back at the deer, which he can now find with is binos and says how the hell did you see him? He told me to take it but I told him we have almost an hour and we can get closer this is his buck. After more side hilling we finally ran out of hill to hide behind and running out of light, so this is as close as we are going to get. The distance is 630 and no wind. He had made this shot just a week before so Im excited to get him his first buck. The position isn't great but it on the bipod and rear bag so this should be no problem. I get the spotter on him get the ballistic computer data entered and give him the drop. I ask him how he feels and he says ok. We wait for the buck to turn and then I give him the go. BAMM!! clean miss I see the bullet stike the ground high left. The buck runs off a bit but is confused so stops at 700. I get him all reset and he shoots again with another clean miss. Looking back I should have realized that he was exhausted from the hike and hadn't really shot from other than ideal positions. I ask him what he wants to do and he says he done both physically and mentally. So ith daylight fast fading I brake out my rifle and put him on the spotter. I range him at 916 and go about dialing it in and getting set up. As I finish getting set up he says "he is broadside and its a perfect shot". I range one last time and he is still at 916 and jump on the rifle, set my bubble, check the wind and hold high shoulder. I feel the rifle push and come down right back on the deer. Forgetting how long the bullet flight is I thought I missed and then see the deer jump straight in the air. My buddy says he hit. The deer turns around goes 6 feet and then is belly up. I felt sorry that my buddy missed his opportunity but man what a shot

Last edited:
OP
pyroducksx3
My buddy didn't have the energy to get to the buck with me so no hero pic

Attachments

• 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 250
Way to go man! I passed a decent 3x4 last weekend at 200 yards... but he popped out again at 620 yards and almost ate a Berger but I resisted :)

And I'm not sure how I feel about your buddy not being able to make it down to help you with your buck.. I have some seriously out of shape friends and while they are slow, they have a lot of try and will always keep grinding it out to help.

Mike

bowuntr

WKR
I don't want to sound like a jerk... You should probably be teaching your buddy to stalk a lot closer... he obviously wasn't competent at taking those shots. He could have easily wounded that deer.... Ed F

OP
pyroducksx3
I told him to stay on the spotter and walk me to the deer. He was cramping up but wanted to come down anyway. I told him to stay put though. I didn't want to get a man exhausted and cramping on the bottom of the canyon and worry about getting a deer out. The whole trip back up he kept telling me to give him some meat to carry but I wouldn't. I did give him the spotter and tripod so that was about 7 1/2 lbs I didn't have to carry

OP
pyroducksx3
I don't want to sound like a jerk... You should probably be teaching your buddy to stalk a lot closer... he obviously wasn't competent at taking those shots. He could have easily wounded that deer.... Ed F

Agree to disagree I guess. He was competent and I take that as direct insult. He doesn't have a custom rifle but it isn't your off the shelf deer hunters rifle. I have spent the last two years working on shooting with him. All data was verified and I have shot with him out to 700 multiple times. He was fully capable of making this shot.
On the getting closer I agree but conditions were there for it. If I could have gotten him closer I would have. The ability to shoot long range is just that for me. If I can get close I will but I want the ability to take the shot if that's what I get.

bowuntr

WKR
Agree to disagree I guess. He was competent and I take that as direct insult. He doesn't have a custom rifle but it isn't your off the shelf deer hunters rifle. I have spent the last two years working on shooting with him. All data was verified and I have shot with him out to 700 multiple times. He was fully capable of making this shot.
On the getting closer I agree but conditions were there for it. If I could have gotten him closer I would have. The ability to shoot long range is just that for me. If I can get close I will but I want the ability to take the shot if that's what I get.

So, if I read that correctly... it's all about shooting, not hunting. I'd be keeping my trap shut, but this is a new hunter you're talking about. You have a responsibility to teach him ethics. Not only about the shooting... but the retrieval of game. What would have happened if he killed it... or even worse, wounded it. Would he have found the energy to go after it? Lots of things to think about when taking out a new hunter... Ed F

So, if I read that correctly... it's all about shooting, not hunting. I'd be keeping my trap shut, but this is a new hunter you're talking about. You have a responsibility to teach him ethics. Not only about the shooting... but the retrieval of game. What would have happened if he killed it... or even worse, wounded it. Would he have found the energy to go after it? Lots of things to think about when taking out a new hunter... Ed F

This is a long range forum, so yes shooting long range is a big part of it. Is it ethical to practice for two years to make a long distance shot and then miss? It's hunting, it happens. As I mentioned in my last post I passed a buck at close range but was more tempted to kill him at long range because yes, shooting is a big part of it. Different strokes for different folks...
Also look at that country, even a wounded buck likely won't get out of sight and a follow up shot is a very likely possibility.

To the OP that's good to hear about him wanting to help, good on you for making the call to keep him up on the optics.

Mike

Mike

OP
pyroducksx3
It was about getting an animal down, call it what you want shooting/hunting I don't really give a shit. If he had shot it I'm sure he would have been able to get to it, it would have just been a much longer night. Nothing that was done was unethical. We have practiced these shots and he has consistently made them. He got buck fever it happens to people at 50 yards. And people wound animals at closer ranges than that. If I could have gotten closer to 100 yards even I would have. He proved more than capable out to those ranges so there was no reason not to take the shot. If you can shoot 100 yards reliably do you limit your shots to 30 yards because its your first deer. I felt I did right in this situation. I pushed him to try harder, trained him to shoot consistently at range, when he wanted to give up and just let me shoot I encouraged him to get closer to his range, when he wanted to rush his shot I slowed him down and made him wait for the deer to present the best shot angle. I detest that you are insinuating that I am unethical and yes how about you keep your mouth shut, this is my thread and you can move on

bowuntr

WKR
I get it about the long range shooting... I do have long range shooting credentials so I understand all that. Yes... buck fever and exhaustion changes your effective range... you should know that and taught it to your buddy.

I do enjoy reading the threads in this section... I'm not bashing long range hunting. I just read some things that disturbed me. I will keep the rest of my thoughts to myself.... Ed F

Last edited:

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider

Is the deer dead? Yes! Obvouisly pyro felt he was in control of the situation and could send a well placed round down range if things went bad (he Proved that by the way).It's really easy to sit back and armchair. Hunting is what you make of it, if you want to be 10 yards or a 1000 yard it doesn't matter if your confident in the shot and proved it on paper. For those of you looking for everything to be perfect everytime, I thank you (it leaves more game on the mountain for the real killers).

KMD

Banned
916 is a no joke poke to connect on, congrats!
What rifle/scope/load/weather data & dope were you runnin'?

OP
pyroducksx3
I was use a kestrel weather station (I forget specific model) Leica 1200 rangefinder, rhino GPS to verify alt, use either my iphone or ipod (whichever has battery life) with ballistic flight fte, rifle is a custom 7mag from rbros with leupold vx-3 4-14.5 x50 with varmint reticle and target turret and I have the angle indicator and bubble level on the scope. Load is 71.5 gr retumbo pushing 180 gr burgers at a ballistic verified out to 1200 yards 3060 fps