Mates 1st deer

199p

FNG
Took a mate who is just getting into hunting to a new spot in the Ruhainies, North Island New Zealand for an afternoon hunt. He is having trouble finding his uphill legs but with some grit and pushing on through, we made the top even with his heart rate reading 190 setting his watch alarm off.

We worked our way up a ridge line glassing the nearby slips, We watching one spot and he said "Deer". I sit down and he talks me into the spot and its a very red rock. But alas a deer was feeding through some bushes just below it and as he is getting set up behind his new tikka another one pops up above the red rock.

The deer is standing broadside at 290y and he dials and gets in some dry fire practice before making his shot.
It shot goes low and the deer runs off, We can't work out what went wrong but the deer runs off unharmed with maybe a splash of dirt hitting it.

We move to another slip and a spiker comes out feeding his way along, its at 280y and i see he is inputting angle into his app, bingo I had not told him the tbr I gave him accounts for angle. meaning he had only dialed half what he should have 1st time round.

i missed the shot on the spiker trying to get the camera to focus but he sees it tumble down the slip, we bash out way down and after 30min find it in a heap of bush. Shot was perfect right through both front shoulders and stopped just inside the skin on the offside.
Drag it out grab some photos and start processing it.
Load of meat in his bag and we scramble back up the ridge and back to the truck, home just at midnight.

Attachments

• web 1.jpg
    web 1.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Web 2.jpg
    Web 2.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 36
  • web 3.jpg
    web 3.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 37
  • web 4.jpg
    web 4.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 39
  • web 5.jpg
    web 5.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 38
  • web 6.jpg
    web 6.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 38
  • web 7.jpg
    web 7.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 38

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not sure what you said, but congrats on the buck and the big bugs, cheers

elkguide

WKR
New Zealand is amazing.
Vermont, where I live, is known for its' beauty and when people ask me to describe New Zealand, I tell them that it just like Vermont only on steroids!

Hope that I can get back there someday to hunt again.

OP
199p

199p

FNG
Cheers guys, Hopefully heading out next week for a few days, always a crazy time at work this time of the year and Roar is hitting its peak.

If anyone wants to hunt NZ, it is super simple compared to the usa heaps of public land and just need a temp NZ Firearms license and over-the-counter hunting permit for 90% of our public lands 365 days of the year.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cheers guys, Hopefully heading out next week for a few days, always a crazy time at work this time of the year and Roar is hitting its peak.

If anyone wants to hunt NZ, it is super simple compared to the usa heaps of public land and just need a temp NZ Firearms license and over-the-counter hunting permit for 90% of our public lands 365 days of the year.

My biggest issue with NZ is the stupid meat importation laws. I am pretty sure it's not legal to import the meant anymore which makes hunting not very worthwhile in my opinion :-(. That's a dumb U.S. law but same effect.

OP
199p

199p

FNG
My biggest issue with NZ is the stupid meat importation laws. I am pretty sure it's not legal to import the meant anymore which makes hunting not very worthwhile in my opinion :-(. That's a dumb U.S. law but same effect.
Not sure on your end but I know where you can't give it to those in need either, I don't even think private.
Keep in mind that NZ has no natural predators for game animal numbers are in abundance to the point that Doc ( govt) shoots to waste and uses poison to control numbers. In many areas shooting to waste is encouraged in areas because if hunters don't shoot more they will drop 1080 on the area and I know what way I would rather see the numbers controlled.

On the us side can you get it processed into like jurkey etc and shipped or is it a flat not allowed?
It's like my hopes of hunting with a suppressor cant do it over there.