90 lb bows

Hey y'all
Let me put this disclaimer first, idgaf what your opinion on this subject is. I'm looking for info on this subject, if you don't have it, then piss off

So it seems it's almost impossible to find a newer 90lb bow. Call me a meat head idc, but it seems like only pro shooters are allowed to have 90lb bows.
I've seen some people say wake limbs will fit a mathews V3 and that'll push them up to 90+ but I'm having trouble finding if that is true or not. I also talked to a guy that said a pse omen with different limbs may pull at 85-90lbs. Does anyone have any real info about getting a 90 lb bow without twisting the cables?

• Banned
OP
C
Completely unnecessary way to start off but carry on…
I don't believe it is, cause unfortunately anytime ive seen this asked or asked it myself you always get that one jack ass that comes in and tells you "you don't need that much bow blah blah blah" sir idgaf, do you or dont you have info on the subject?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe it is, cause unfortunately anytime ive seen this asked or asked it myself you always get that one jack ass that comes in and tells you "you don't need that much bow blah blah blah" sir idgaf, do you or dont you have info on the subject?
Here’s my info on the subject, I’m banning you for being a jerk

WTFJohn

WKR
Hey y'all
Let me put this disclaimer first, idgaf what your opinion on this subject is. I'm looking for info on this subject, if you don't have it, then piss off

So it seems it's almost impossible to find a newer 90lb bow. Call me a meat head idc, but it seems like only pro shooters are allowed to have 90lb bows.
I've seen some people say wake limbs will fit a mathews V3 and that'll push them up to 90+ but I'm having trouble finding if that is true or not. I also talked to a guy that said a pse omen with different limbs may pull at 85-90lbs. Does anyone have any real info about getting a 90 lb bow without twisting the cables?

Take the cams off a 2012 PSE and put them on a 64" longbow. You'll need a Hoyt string to make it all work though. Just beware that it sends an arrow so fast it's only legal during rifle seasons.

I have a buddy that use to shoot for Jennings, somewhere around 30 years ago now. He had 100# bows that he rebuilt on a monthly basis. Limbs were constantly coming apart on him, cables letting go, frequently bows blowing up during a 3d shoot. Materials have come a long ways, however I wonder if they are upto the task. I suspect a heavy arrow helps a lot, but a 500 gr arrow would still only be 5.55 grs per pound. So if you stayed around 800 grains to help absorb energy it would likely help a lot, but as a manufacturer I can see why they don't care to have those out there. Going to be difficult finding arrows, then probably need over 30 strands of fiber in the cables and string. Might get into issues with cams and bearings holding up as well. 90 is 12.5% more than 80, when 80 might already kinda be the max on the components, at least when figuring in a factor of safety.

Might even be out of the realm of what most nocks can safely handle, let alone getting them to fit a thicker string bundle.

Just some thoughts I had on it. I use to hunt with 80, found the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

jimh406

WKR
You could build your own using limbs from a shorter draw, or buy shortening the cables/strings. Who knows if it would not blow up though.

However, you may find that newer bows can shoot the same arrows at the same speed as 90 lb bows at less draw weight. There isn't a lot of disadvantage of shooting less draw weight. If you are wanting to hold more weight, seek out a bow with less % drop-off.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
This thread got me wondering what the quickest first post to banned record is?

I mean, aside from spam posts, this guy was pretty efficient at getting banned. Took less than 30 minutes. Being disrespectful to a mod with your second post is a bad look.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread got me wondering what the quickest first post to banned record is?

I mean, aside from spam posts, this guy was pretty efficient at getting banned. Took less than 30 minutes. Being disrespectful to a mod with your second post is a bad look.
I honestly thought my first response would have defused his hot headedness.

I bet that now that Bowmar owns PSE we'll be seeing all kinds of custom 100# bows so he can set some more world records.
But that said, 80# bows are probably the max that components can handle these days. Cams are throwing arrows a lot faster these days. The 90# bows of old were using the slightly off-center, circularish cams. The stress from that is not nearly the same as the stress from the oblong cams of today that can be obtimized to minimize stress on components when the full draw weight is released.

I went with an 80# to get speeds up to where i speculated they'd be with my given arrow weight. It seems that the new cams are geared towards keeping speeds higher with the heavier arrows because my expectation was that I'd be shooting 10-15fps faster with the same weight arrow. At same pull weight and arrow weight the new bow is throwing an arrow at 37 fps faster

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As soon as I saw his first statement I looked at his join date and thought "he's not gonna last long".

Heavier draw limbs aren't all they're "cracked" up to be.......or maybe they are. My bow had 70lb limbs and those lasted 3 years until a yoke loop broke at full draw and destroyed the limbs and the cams. I always wanted an 80lb bow, and the company only had 80lb limbs on their shelf so that worked out OK. But the two bottom limbs both splintered within a couple months. I went through four sets of limbs that splintered in the last four years. I don't know if it's my almost 33" draw length or that's just a contributing factor. But after one of the limbs splintered on this last set, I turned the bow down. The company doesn't have anymore limbs of any weight for my bow, so I have to make these last.....LOL.

Will_m

WKR
I had an 80lb elite that cracked every set of limbs I put on it. That being said, I’d like a 90lb bow. I don’t feel like it any more unnecessary than a 70lb bow assuming it is within your ability. Obviously very specific to the individual.