90 lb bows

Beendare

WKR
Old thread....
There are so many guys here with legit experience...why not take advantage of it instead of asking a silly question and limiting the answers to only the few that agree?

First, it shows the absolute lack of experience of the guy asking the question.

Second it shows the goal has nothing to do with the function of the weapon itself or its ability to kill critters.....its all about posing and flexing

Lastly, the bows of today are so efficient....anything more than that is not needed and just creates problems with arrow spine, excess energy and hysteresis in the system exhibited as noise and vibration and shoulder problems when you're older.

The whole," I shoot 90# because I can...." is disingenuous.

Reactions: Zac

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was in reading the responses to this thread. If you can't handle another man being blunt with you without your feelings getting hurt than you fall into the weak man category. If you don't like it than go adjust yourself, I'm not going to change definitions to make you feel better.

Was he blunt and overly harsh? Yes. Could he have said it more tactfully? Absolutely, but he would have been saying the exact same thing just in a softer more feminine voice. Is this an unspoken rule on this forum I should be aware of? I assume that treating others respectfully is either an explicit or implied hard rule on this forum, as it should be. However, here's the thing, filling someones thread with unsolicited opinions on why they're stupid for asking such a question is every bit as or arguably more disrespectful than the OP here. The respectful move would be to start an adjacent thread "Argument against XYZ."

I would say that I was appalled that someone got banned from a hunting forum that is primarily male for this thread. However, it looks to me that this was a case of a moderator and the OP talking past one another. From my POV the OP replied to the moderators tactful and clever criticism in what I thought was an equally tactful reply. The OP used an example of a fictitious unsolicited opinion and ends his post with what I read as a notional response towards the unsolicited opinion to make his point. It appears that the moderator made the response about himself and assumed that it was directed at him. In fairness at least 48 others read it the same way as the moderator, so maybe I'm the one that's wrong here, maybe I'm demonstrating the limits of my reading comprehension skills, maybe there's history here that I missed, maybe the moderator typically is the "jackass" that the OP was referencing, so he reasonably assumed that it was a personal shot at him, or maybe I'm the one being overly emotional here because I didn't get the thread I was hoping for.

I need to replace my bow for the first time in several years, so I started casually looking for what the market is currently offering. At the moment I'm looking for the heaviest factory produced bows available. 80# bows seem available enough, but being curious how far I could push it, I'm looking for 90# bows options. Unfortunately, everything I'm finding via google almost immediately turns into precisely what the OP tried to head off. I immediately got excited when I came across a 3 page thread on 90# bows, that was on the Rokslide forum and the OP immediately squashed the unsolicited opinions or so I thought.

Look at APA for heavy draw bows. I have no first hand experience but ran across them earlier this month and was intrigued. And yes, there are a lot more 80# offerings this year.

APA Archery

The OP got flamed because of his opening qualifier sentence.

MattB

WKR
Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was in reading the responses to this thread. If you can't handle another man being blunt with you without your feelings getting hurt than you fall into the weak man category. If you don't like it than go adjust yourself, I'm not going to change definitions to make you feel better.

Was he blunt and overly harsh? Yes. Could he have said it more tactfully? Absolutely, but he would have been saying the exact same thing just in a softer more feminine voice. Is this an unspoken rule on this forum I should be aware of? I assume that treating others respectfully is either an explicit or implied hard rule on this forum, as it should be. However, here's the thing, filling someones thread with unsolicited opinions on why they're stupid for asking such a question is every bit as or arguably more disrespectful than the OP here. The respectful move would be to start an adjacent thread "Argument against XYZ."

I would say that I was appalled that someone got banned from a hunting forum that is primarily male for this thread. However, it looks to me that this was a case of a moderator and the OP talking past one another. From my POV the OP replied to the moderators tactful and clever criticism in what I thought was an equally tactful reply. The OP used an example of a fictitious unsolicited opinion and ends his post with what I read as a notional response towards the unsolicited opinion to make his point. It appears that the moderator made the response about himself and assumed that it was directed at him. In fairness at least 48 others read it the same way as the moderator, so maybe I'm the one that's wrong here, maybe I'm demonstrating the limits of my reading comprehension skills, maybe there's history here that I missed, maybe the moderator typically is the "jackass" that the OP was referencing, so he reasonably assumed that it was a personal shot at him, or maybe I'm the one being overly emotional here because I didn't get the thread I was hoping for.

I need to replace my bow for the first time in several years, so I started casually looking for what the market is currently offering. At the moment I'm looking for the heaviest factory produced bows available. 80# bows seem available enough, but being curious how far I could push it, I'm looking for 90# bows options. Unfortunately, everything I'm finding via google almost immediately turns into precisely what the OP tried to head off. I immediately got excited when I came across a 3 page thread on 90# bows, that was on the Rokslide forum and the OP immediately squashed the unsolicited opinions or so I thought.
After looking at how many words you used after the bolded comments, I find that hard to believe.

Beendare

WKR
True👆🏼

But what does that have to do with bowhunting?

A muscle bound guy walking into a jiu jitsu dojo will get essentially the same answers above. The same goes for any technique or accuracy driven sport;

Strength will help you but its technique thats important.

Reactions: Zac

I had a Mathews monster safari for 3 years it maxed at 89lbs and I loved it until I was hunting MD late season in February and it was negative temperatures, when I went to draw I was worried I was going to tear something in my shoulder so I sold it after that season.
I’m sure most know on here you don’t need poundage like that to hunt and especially with all the technology today our hunting equipment is extremely advanced unlike years ago. But I did love that bow…

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

It really came down to the first paragraph in our rules. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/rokslide-forum-rules-etiquette.277022/

S.Clancy

WKR
Moving at a blistering 250 fps.
hahaha.

That is why I shoot an 80 lb bow. I want a 500 gr arrow that has a max point blank in the mid 30's (yds) with a 27.5-28" draw. It seems the guys talking about not needing a heavy poundage bow also have 30"+ draws. Yea, if my draw was 31" I would shoot 65 lbs too.

hahaha.

That is why I shoot an 80 lb bow. I want a 500 gr arrow that has a max point blank in the mid 30's (yds) with a 27.5-28" draw. It seems the guys talking about not needing a heavy poundage bow also have 30"+ draws. Yea, if my draw was 31" I would shoot 65 lbs too.

actually the ideal draw is probably closer to 29". Once you get into 31" draw if you want a 290-300 fps, you loose flexibility in choosing inserts and point weight

I pull 75# at 31". I'm sitting on 550g arrows going 285 fps

Lytro

WKR
hahaha.

I'm 100% with you on that, and I think that's smart. I would do the same if I had a shorter draw. I think a lot of the people who are adamant that higher poundage is unnecessary either don't understand how a bow operates, or they're insecure about their own strength. With a 30" draw I get 274 fps with a 525 gr arrow pulling 70#. Certainly capable of pulling more, but I have little to gain other than the ass pain of sourcing different limbs or narrowing my bow selection to a higher poundage offering.

My only judgement is towards guys with a short draw that pull 80-90 lbs that think their setup is superior to anyone who pulls 70 or less. The people that somehow don't understand the reason they're pulling the extra weight is for compensation. Joe Rogan is a prime example of that. The guy thought he could shoot through a bullet proof door on a Tesla Cybertruck with his hunting bow because he pulls 90#. Haha

rclouse79

WKR
I wonder how many respected WKR’s create a burner account to make offensive posts with poor grammar just to blow off steam. I guess it is healthier than kicking the dog.

Beendare

WKR
Look, if you want to shoot a 90# bow, great, go for it.

There is No good reason to shoot that heavy unless you are going Water Buff hunting, and many reasons not to: more static hysteresis, more noise, diminishing returns, shoulder problems, etc

In fact, a guy shooting a 90# bow is virtue signalling. Big and strong- beentheredonethat and played college sports- so what?

I have a half dozen NFL buddies that bowhunt- exactly none shoot 90#….all in the 65-70# range. Tell My buddy an 8 year all pro linebacker he is a wuss for shooting 65#, he blows through everything with his biw.

When 40# trad guys are getting complete pass thrus….it tells us we have 3x the energy with a 70# bow.

Maybe spend less time posing…and more time shooting…..

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Look, if you want to shoot a 90# bow, great, go for it.

There is No good reason to shoot that heavy unless you are going Water Buff hunting, and many reasons not to: more static hysteresis, more noise, diminishing returns, shoulder problems, etc

In fact, a guy shooting a 90# bow is virtue signalling. Big and strong- beentheredonethat and played college sports- so what?

I have a half dozen NFL buddies that bowhunt- exactly none shoot 90#….all in the 65-70# range. Tell My buddy an 8 year all pro linebacker he is a wuss for shooting 65#, he blows through everything with his biw.

When 40# trad guys are getting complete pass thrus….it tells us we have 3x the energy with a 70# bow.

Maybe spend less time posing…and more time shooting…..
Add 1 to the OP was justified in his attitude column.

Reactions: Duh