9 mm and buffalo bore

Randle

WKR
I have a 9mm shield, my son has a G43 9 mm and a G 19 9 mm, I ordered a couple boxes of 9mm 147 hard cast and just looking for experience with these guns and hard cast BB ammo. From what I have read, Glocks can shoot hard cast , Is this correct? We are using these for hiking, archery season, and just bumming around the woods. Please no, " get a bigger gun", we have those and just like shooting and carrying these.

Daniel_M

WKR
Stock barrel is rated for +p rounds, Buffalo Bore should be fine though they run hot. Sounds like the Outdoorsmans rounds? I prefer a jacketed round, stock barrels can lead foul.

Sure they can foul, but in a defensive situation you are not putting enough through the gun to even matter. Not like a range session.

Daniel_M

WKR
Sure they can foul, but in a defensive situation you are not putting enough through the gun to even matter. Not like a range session.

True, however the difference being with some Glock testing, pressure doubled due to the lead build up. You'll get some copper buildup for sure on a jacketed bullet, but nothing a solvent soak can't clean up.

Anywho, just my pick. I prefer a jacketed round nose.

Also consider upgrading your guide rod/spring.

If you are going to make a habit of shooting lead from a glock think about an aftermarket barrel or really cleaning the barrel a lot. Lone wolf is good.

Can I Shoot Lead in My Glock? | Gun Digest

A few rounds of hard cast isn't going to ruin your gun or even cause an issue. If you have to use it in a defense situation, that will be the least of your concerns.

frankrb3

WKR
This is quoted from buffalo bores website for the ammo you described.

"This 9mm load is rated @ +P pressures (not +P+) and as such is safe to use in any/all 9mm chambered pistols that are in normal operating condition. The hard cast bullet (not lead, but hard cast) will not lead foul a functional barrel that is in a normal state of operation, including polygonal barrels, in any make of pistol, including Glock pistols."

9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN Pistol and Handgun Bullets Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Daniel_M

WKR
This is quoted from buffalo bores website for the ammo you described.

"This 9mm load is rated @ +P pressures (not +P+) and as such is safe to use in any/all 9mm chambered pistols that are in normal operating condition. The hard cast bullet (not lead, but hard cast) will not lead foul a functional barrel that is in a normal state of operation, including polygonal barrels, in any make of pistol, including Glock pistols."

9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN Pistol and Handgun Bullets Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

That is normally the case with soft cast, yes. However I have found a buildup in Glock barrels using their 10mm hard cast rounds.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Yep I read the jazz on the website , but I'm just looking for real world info also.
the website says this the stuff for big bears too , no thanks. I am just interested in the haevyest I can shoot around N idaho, If in big bear country I will take a bigger bore

frankrb3

WKR
That is normally the case with soft cast, yes. However I have found a buildup in Glock barrels using their 10mm hard cast rounds.

My apologies but I was responding to the o.p. and his question about whether or not it's safe to fire hard cast bullets out of a glock pistol. I don't think buildup is going to be a problem if he starts out with a clean, functional firearm and has to shoot in a real back country scenario. Can you tell us how many rounds it was that you fired in your 10mm before you noticed buildup? Were you shooting on a range and firing more rounds than you probably would if you were carrying in the wilderness? Just trying to put things into perspective for the op.

Daniel_M

WKR
My apologies but I was responding to the o.p. and his question about whether or not it's safe to fire hard cast bullets out of a glock pistol. I don't think buildup is going to be a problem if he starts out with a clean, functional firearm and has to shoot in a real back country scenario. Can you tell us how many rounds it was that you fired in your 10mm before you noticed buildup? Were you shooting on a range and firing more rounds than you probably would if you were carrying in the wilderness? Just trying to put things into perspective for the op.

I had been shooting a few hundred rounds a season out of my 10mm. After finding a lesser accuracy i gave it a good cleaning and found a lot of buildup. I'll typically shoot whatever, my 9mm has several thousand rounds and I've not done more than a quick cleaning but always a jacketed type bullet. Just have to be careful with some of the hotter rounds, Buffalo Bore being one of them.

duchntr

WKR
Ive ran plenty of cast out of my g20 works fine for me and I'm going to get some for my 26, not sure if its ideal but I'm ok with it. Also Phil Shoemaker DLP'd a brown with his 9mm and buffalo bore ammo,, seemed to work for him.