9 days out and hit with shingles.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Get on antivirals ASAP. These are Rx so you will need to see a Dr. but should work quick and give significant relief.

Got on Antiviral meds on Saturday night. Prednisone, Gabepentin, and the good Tylenol yesterday. The rash itself doesn’t really bother me but the nerve pain in my arm, neck, and up to my head is what is. It’s really sensitive to the touch and stings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7mm-08

WKR
Anybody had the Vax and feel like crap? My friend got it last year and it layed him up for the weekend. He said second shot no problems?
My wife and I both felt like crap after our first shot for >24 hours. The second not so much. The shots, however, make your arm very tender for several days.

Mojave

WKR
There is a vaccine you can get when you contact it. Will shorten your duration. I was over it in 2 weeks.

I only had 2 or 3 days of being a pussy.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Got it last year right after a week elk hunting. Worse pain ever. I couldn’t imagine hurting in the back country with shingles. I like to think I can put up with some discomfort, but the nerve pain was terrible for me.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry about the shingles. My twin brother had a really bad case of them last year. Motivated me to get the first shot of the vaccine last week. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Got on Antiviral meds on Saturday night. Prednisone, Gabepentin, and the good Tylenol yesterday. The rash itself doesn’t really bother me but the nerve pain in my arm, neck, and up to my head is what is. It’s really sensitive to the touch and stings.

Sucks man....had it last year. Worst part is not being able to sleep. I still itching in this one spot on my shoulder blade and barely feel it when I scratch.....may have some kind of nerve damage. The prednisone and gabapentin seemed to pull me out of it Good luck with your recovery

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I have no advice on the shingles, but wanted to say I hope you get better and am able to make your hunt.

I drove 12 hours to Montana for a scouting trip a month ago and got sick the day I got there. Camped for a couple days then moved to a hotel and slept the rest of the trip. I wasn’t able to do any scouting. It sucks when Illness messes up a trip you’ve been thinking of all year.

You’ve got time. I hope you report back in a few weeks with a successful hunt story!

lak2004

WKR
My grandmother had it last year and she has had all kinds of continued nerve pain and issues from it. Sounds miserable. Hope you don't have any lasting effects!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got it last July and didn't bother going to the Dr until day four. Mine started under my right arm with the sensitivity to the touch but nothing was there. By day 4 I had the full rash 2" wide from my sternum all the way around under my arm and to my spine on the right side. I was sweating hard the whole time I had it as lots of work to get done before elk season started. I started the Valtrex and prednisone on day four. I never really noticed a difference with them, but after about 5 weeks I think, it finally went away. All I know is that if it had been September, it wouldn't have stopped me from going elk hunting. I still shot my bow and worked in the heat every day. For me, the nerve pain was nothing compared to what I have every day from my lower back. You'll be good to go on your hunt.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I got it last July and didn't bother going to the Dr until day four. Mine started under my right arm with the sensitivity to the touch but nothing was there. By day 4 I had the full rash 2" wide from my sternum all the way around under my arm and to my spine on the right side. I was sweating hard the whole time I had it as lots of work to get done before elk season started. I started the Valtrex and prednisone on day four. I never really noticed a difference with them, but after about 5 weeks I think, it finally went away. All I know is that if it had been September, it wouldn't have stopped me from going elk hunting. I still shot my bow and worked in the heat every day. For me, the nerve pain was nothing compared to what I have every day from my lower back. You'll be good to go on your hunt.
It's definitely getting better, the nerve pain in my neck and head is what is the worst for some reason. Rash is clearing up and will hopefully be mostly healed in the next week or so. Not going to keep me down.

Be advised, the sooner you start treatment the better. I’m not surprised you didn’t see much relief with the meds, you were likely out of the benefit window.

The virus replicates geometrically, so it’s crucial to hit it hard as quickly as possible. If you even suspect a shingles outbreak, contact your doc RFN.

P

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Be advised, the sooner you start treatment the better. I’m not surprised you didn’t see much relief with the meds, you were likely out of the benefit window.

The virus replicates geometrically, so it’s crucial to hit it hard as quickly as possible. If you even suspect a shingles outbreak, contact your doc RFN.

P

Meds have definitely helped me. It started to clear up over the last couple days. The nerve pain has been the worst part for me. Except for one of the meds is making it hard to sleep at night, suspecting the prednisone or gabapentin.

DillanF

FNG
Lidocaine gel can help, and then see if you doctor will give you the Shingrix shot in a couple weeks. Once you've had shingles, you are more likely to get it again.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I also got shingles while out moose hunting. A couple days in. First thought I got bit by a spider. Got home n beautiful wife got me to the dr. I was taking gabopentin for neck injury so that helped I guess. But my hip was burning. I wear my clothes inside out so that the seams don't irritate my skin as bad.
I just hope that it never happens again if possible. And it didn't help moose hunting and not being able to walk much. Glad that the front deck is a good spot to sit n call from