9 days out and hit with shingles.

mww982

WKR
I just turned 40 in August. Last Wednesday or Thursday the skin on my torso was on fire and I could barely wear a shirt. Fast forward to Saturday, the pain was only on my left side. We got home from a trip and my left armpit was burning like someone was holding a candle to it. Looked in the mirror and had a slight rash. A couple hours later the rash had spread. Went to urgent care that night and got put on anti-viral medication. The pain was unbearable and ended up at my primary doctor today for pain meds. Frustrated that this has happened a week and a half before my hunt, but not going to let it stop me from going. I feel for anyone who has ever had this as it s*cks.

Prayers. Thats awful ya got it but awful right before a hunt. Double ouch.

I just saw an advertisement for the shingles vaccine today on TV and they said “for people 50 plus” and now I see how have it at 40, geesh. I know I’m going to have shingles BAD someday because of how bad I had chicken pox.

Hope ya heal quickly !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

WKR
I had a case of the shingles a few years ago at some point after I turned 60. Hurts like hell, for sure, and I have since been vaccinated (zoster vaccine with two very painful shots) to keep a potential recurrence at bay. If you're lucky (like I was) the pain will subside in a week and you can go on about your life. Hope that happens with you. Especially with your planned trip. I have an acquaintance who had a shingles outbreak in his late 60's and he damned near lost vision in one of his eyes as the result of it BLOWING UP on his face. This guy works with the public and he was so repulsively gross with weeping, open blisters allover his face for weeks that he nearly retired. He's a big advocate of the vaccine now.

Tod osier

WKR
I just turned 40 in August. Last Wednesday or Thursday the skin on my torso was on fire and I could barely wear a shirt. Fast forward to Saturday, the pain was only on my left side. We got home from a trip and my left armpit was burning like someone was holding a candle to it. Looked in the mirror and had a slight rash. A couple hours later the rash had spread. Went to urgent care that night and got put on anti-viral medication. The pain was unbearable and ended up at my primary doctor today for pain meds. Frustrated that this has happened a week and a half before my hunt, but not going to let it stop me from going. I feel for anyone who has ever had this as it s*cks.

I had it in my 40s, got on the antiviral and it was pretty quick to turn around. I did get on the antiviral really quick (obvious symptoms). Hope you bounce back quick for your hunt.

jimh406

WKR
Good luck recovering. On the plus side, you didn't get it in your optical nerve or face.

In spite of what some people think, it's possible to get shingles more than once. Once you recover, get vaccinated with Shingrix. And for those of you who haven't been vaccinated, do consider getting vaccinated.

That sucks! Im young (25) and got shingles last year. Not fun at all! In my experience tho it took about a week or 2 heal. Decent chance youll be cleared up before your hunt. Praying for the best! Wouldnt be fun to miss out on a hunt

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Brother , that happened to me this year but it was a few months out . I was fortunate enough for it to be gone by the time my hunt started .
I’ve had shingles 4 times with the first time being in the 5th grade. I will light a candle for you buddy. That sucks. Hope you start to feel better .
Lidocaine patches over the areas where your clothes seams are really help.

Weldor

WKR
I got it in the middle of a cow elk in 2020, thought it was just a rash. Lucky for me I guess my hunting friend knew what it was. It started right under my Bino pouch.That is why thought it was just a rash. I got what they call the bandaid -middle of the back wrap around to the front. Finished out my hunt went to doc, they gave me 5 days worth anti viral. It took about 3 weeks for the rash to start healing. I was already on Gabapintin for permanent back injury so I really did'nt have any pain, just burning sensation.. capsaicin cream does wonders for the rash. Was 60 when it happened.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
This is the one thing I actually wanted to go get vaxxed for. My buddy had them and told me all about it. I went as soon as i was eligible. I think 40 is the age. And if you have had chicken pox its very likely.

SDHNTR

WKR
I had is about the same age too. As soon as I got on the antiviral, I felt better within hours. Lyrica for tfe pain. Good luck.

Shot

FNG
Get on antivirals, steriods (mix data on it, cant hurt), lyrica/gabapentin (for pain control), and even lidocaine patches. You'll be good to go.

Location of shingles plays a big part on dangerous to watch out for. On the Torso, nothing to worry about. Until it crusts over, you are contagious.

Good luck on the hunt!

hikenhunt

WKR
I got shingles at 37. My case was very mild compared to most of the stories here. The lidocaine patches worked great for me.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I got on the antiviral meds pretty quick after going to the clinic. Went to my primary care doctor yesterday and got on pain meds and steroids. Today, I'm feeling way better than I have in the past couple days. Tired as heck and resting, luckily I have plenty of sick time from work and took the week off to rest up.

shagles

FNG
I had it last year at 32. Even the light case I had sucked hard. I'll say some Gabapentin works wonders for the pain. The weird thing with shingles is a lot of it is actually nerve pain, so normal pain meds don't do a ton.