8x42 vs. 10x50

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at picking up a high-end pair of bino's. I am learning a lot from the forums and it seems like a lot of people prefer the 8x42's over 10x42's.

With that being said, it seems like the 10x50s add additional "x's" with the similar low light capabilities. Does the extra magnfication outweigh the hand-held ability of the bino's? Am I giving too much credence to the 2x power?

I will be deer / turkey hunting in Texas and Alabama as well as using them for elk out west. I WILL NOT BE USING A TRIPOD HARDLY AT ALL.

I'd appreciate some input from those that have way more time than I do behind these powers of bino's.

Thanks in advance.

Whats “high end”? If you’re talking NL Pure high end, buy 10x42’s and never look back. I have the 12’s and they’ve spent 90% of their time in my hand and are great for that. The ergonomics make them hand held great. Not sure if they have some sort of other engineering that make them do so well off hand but they’re amazing.

The 10x NL’s have wider FOV than most top tier 8’s and all of the 42mm NL’s are the same size and weight.

The issue I found with 10x50’s and 10x56’s is the size and weight. They are big, bigger than I want to hold.

You would be fine with most good 10x42’s as well. They won’t have the FOV of the NL’s but they’d be fine. Really just comes down to what you want to spend. You can save a lot of money buying second hand as well to further your budget.

I would buy NL > EL > Noctivid > UV HD+ > Victory SF/SFL > UV HD in that order if you’re looking for alpha glass.

I would find a local store that has high end 8’s and 10’s of the same model and go handle them and see how the image is to you. Handheldability is 100% going to come down to the individual. Ideally I would find a dealer that has a good selections of high end binos from Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss and feel the ergonomics, eye cups, focus wheels, and see what you like the most. Don’t pay a bit of attention to glass quality between them unless they’ll let you take them outside though. What looks best to you inside with LED and flourescent lights will be a completely different story in natural light.

That’s really the best thing you can do to find what’s best for you.

I prefer 8X unless I need to count points to make sure it's a legal deer or spike elk, which is my only need for higher magnification.
8X will be brighter(all other things being equal) and a more relaxed view, wider FOV is a major advantage.

When comparing top end offerings from the Big 3, they all offer incredibly well engineered, high-quality optics. So It really comes down to personal preferences, as they are all special in their own way. Will it be the extreme FOV of the NLs, the incredible handling and focus of the SFs, or Leica’s legendary colors. Everyone sees the world slightly differently.

You’ve already received some great advice to go to a high-end shop and sample as many as you can. There is no substitute for hands-on comparison, and just too many nuances to explain. It has to be experienced.

My first premium glass was an early 1990s Leica Trinovid 8x42, followed a few years latter by a Zeiss Dialyt Classic 10x40. Ever since they first came out I wanted to like the ELs, but after spending some time with them it just wasn‘t a match and I preferred the SLCs. Again in 2017 I compared the EL 10x42 SV with the new SF and Noctivid and ended up buying the SF. Then a few years later the NLs came out and I compared them to the SFs. To me, it was very close - each had specific characteristics that I preferred over the other. Since I already owned the SFs I didn’t feel compelled to buy the NLs, but if I didn’t, who knows? The NLs are a fine binocular and I may end up owning one before all is said and done. I’m also very fond of my new 8x40 SFLs - Zeiss just nailed it with a great balance of size/weight/handling and performance.

8x vs 10x - personally prefer having at least one of each. When bowhunting the woods I’ll definitely be sporting an 8x, but when hunting the mountains or plains I prefer a 10x. But since a 2x bino setup isn’t always financially feasible most hunters will choose a 10x42. Nothing wrong with an 8x42 and the view is often a bit easier - which one will you find more satisfying???

10x50 or larger - the only 10x50 that I’d recommend for an everyday carry glass is a Maven B6, as it’s size/weight/handling is very similar to most 42mms, and the view is very relaxed/detailed/saturated. Admittedly, the view from my 10x56 SLC is a smidge sharper but that is a much bigger/heftier unit.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
8x is easier to pull up quick and hold steady.

10x is better in big open country.

Those Leica Ultra vids are a steal if you want 8x.
Swaro, Zeiss, Leica and top of the line Kowa Meopta and Nikon- all excellent.

8x is easier to pull up quick and hold steady.

That’s a big misconception, you’d don’t hold it steadier you just notice image distortion from the shake less, it’s still just as much there, it’s just magnified a little less. You still see more from the higher magnification.

Increases in magnification certainly don’t come alone. All image properties are magnified - while individual points within the image appear closer both FOV and transmission diminishes, hand-shake is more apparent as well as aberrations and other image imperfections. So, choices/preferences in magnification are a trade-off and the sweet-spot is where an individual feels most comfortable with the image.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Increases in magnification certainly don’t come alone. All image properties are magnified - while individual points within the image appear closer both FOV and transmission diminishes, hand-shake is more apparent as well as aberrations and other image imperfections. So, choices/preferences in magnification are a trade-off and the sweet-spot is where an individual feels most comfortable with the image.
I agree and generally prefer the 8X for the aforemetioned reasons and usual eye relief advantage, since I wear glasses. I have a pair of 10x50 SLC's that are certainly larger and heavier than the 10x42's , but the extended eye relief was my deciding factor.

Last edited:

barn_owl

FNG
I second the 8x. Like others have said, it comes down to the person and how the binos feel in your hand etc.
As much as I like the view from my 10x50 binos, the hand shake limits the time I spend behind them.

Hoodie

WKR
If you're not using a tripod whatsoever, probably 8x. The 8x will be all you need for whitetail/turkey and plenty for elk under most circumstances. The difference between 10x and 8x is pretty noticeable in my opinion.

As far as the elk hunting goes:
Archery or rifle?
Thick timber or open country?

A good 10x50 on a solid tripod is tough to beat for post rut elk if the country is glass-able. Can you handhold 10x effectively?