8x vs 10x

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a pure north east woods hunter. I’d love to get out west sometime but life doesn’t allow for that at the moment. I’ve currently got a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10 x 50 (non HD) and there’s nothing wrong with them per say. There were just more occasions this year where I wished I had better quality glass (low light, slight fog, more chromatic aberrations scanning in sunny woods etc) than I have noticed in the past several years combined.

This has made me want to upgrade to a higher tier of glass. I’m not biased towards any brand and I’d like to keep it in the 6-8 hundred range if possible but I’ve got time to save up a little extra if need be. I’m wondering what you guys suggest for typical North East woods (western NY/souther tier to be specific)?

Edit: I should also add that I really primarily do hunt woods and very little open field. There’s only one field that I have access to that’s open and that’s in a loose sense as only half of it is open and the rest is grape vineyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR
I‘m not familiar with the terrain/shrubbery there, I’d guess it’s pretty thick so a lot will say 8x. That being said I’m a big fan of 10x for anything and everything. I am a fan of Maven optics as well.

OP
F

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I‘m not familiar with the terrain/shrubbery there, I’d guess it’s pretty thick so a lot will say 8x. That being said I’m a big fan of 10x for anything and everything. I am a fan of Maven optics as well.

We will say that on average, a long shot for me in the woods is 75-150 yards. It’s much more often towards the lower end of that range. The shrubbery isn’t too bad as a lot of the trees are mature trees so it isn’t too terribly thick but there’s just so much of “a little bit” that it blends into itself

pcrossett

Lil-Rokslider
Based on primarily being in the woods I would assume your sightlines are going to be limited so you could go 8x to cut down on a little bit of weight as you won't be looking out 200, 300 yards where you may need that better detail and the extra magnification.

Taudisio

WKR
Either way would be fine. You will typically get a better field of view with the 8x. I still prefer 10x

KenLee

WKR
I usually hunt fields and powerlines. Occasionally woods, but often looking into wood edges. No question the 8x works better for low light and to hide the "shakes".

OP
F

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
6866e0b625ee88cc52db4bcbdf45bf32.jpg

6b4653c0d4789a8e2f3a8562e698ea15.jpg

40bef276f4468a3f5dd475eea05b01f2.jpg

52148a7a8472a38e8df47a1164d5d98a.jpg

This is just to give you an idea of the various “thicknesses” of the woods I could be in

Taudisio

WKR
Seeing your photos, if that’s as far as you can see, I’d lean towards 8 as a maximum. Keep your diamondbacks in case you do get to go west.

OP
F

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that’s on average for the woods I’m in. Sometimes there will be a pine patch where it’s open more or if I’m in my saddle and get some elevation I’ll have a few lanes that are further and the rest of my lanes are like 25 yards.

I was leaning towards the 8x after thinking about it. I wasn’t planning on getting rid of the diamondbacks as my wife got them for me for our first Christmas as a married couple so they’ve got too much sentimental value to me.

Now for what make and model do you guys suggest?

elkguide

WKR
I live and hunt in the hardwoods and swamps of the Northeast too and I've found that with Alpha glass, (I am an admitted Swarovski fanboy) 10 power is fine even in the hardwoods of the East. If I were buying a lesser quality glass, I would probably go with the 8's but I like to pick things apart as I still hunt and find that with my Swaro 10's, I can do that just fine.

OP
F

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I live and hunt in the hardwoods and swamps of the Northeast too and I've found that with Alpha glass, (I am an admitted Swarovski fanboy) 10 power is fine even in the hardwoods of the East. If I were buying a lesser quality glass, I would probably go with the 8's but I like to pick things apart as I still hunt and find that with my Swaro 10's, I can do that just fine.

I unfortunately don’t have the spare money to be spending Alpha glass money. I’m thinking like move up to Razor HD level from my plain Diamondbacks. That sort of step up. I just use the vortex models as an example because for some reason I know them but I really don’t know much about glass

JGTWI

WKR
In your terrain, 8x for sure. Looks similar to where I primarily hunt.

In terms of make/model, I’d suggest you look at the Leupold BX-4 8x42. I carry those most of the time for my whitetail hunting. I Love the open hinge design, they are very compact and great glass for the price.

Priced above the Leupold’s you could look at used Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 or Zeiss conquest 8x32. Both are better, but I’d say not by much. The Kowa genesis 8x33 would be an interesting option as well, but I’ve never looked through those.

Some of that stuff looks pretty thick. Your second and third photos looks like some places I've hunted here in ky. My go to for thick stuff is an older pair of steiner 8x30 military marine. I like them for the focus free feature, you don't have to take time to mess with a focus. Where you look is where you're focused.
They are kinda heavy but man have then seen some use and abuse and stood up to it. Bought them when I was 18 and at the time the $250 I spent on them was a lot and the difference in glass between those and the $25 Bushnell I was using made me feel like I had alpha glass haha.

signing off

Lil-Rokslider
8 is a good plan. Maybe a 6x from Maven. I have a high quality set of 10x32 and they have too much tunnel vision for thick areas. Love looking through them but hate finding something in them.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I would choose a good 8x32 or 8x42 with a wide field of view. Good 8x's will be better than cheaper 10x's even out west. I have a good pair of 12x50's that I love for open country glassing from tripod, but good 8x's are great for stalking in and in thicker areas.