80lbs Bows

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We need to get you an 80lb Omen and see if we can melt fletching due to air friction.
You should see my arrows when they're pulled from fiber board target butts. They look like gorilla arms they're so covered with fiber board. I have to carry a knife and steel wool to clean them off after every shot. That's IF they come out of those targets. I never see anyone else pulling arrows like that, so maybe there's something to that speed thing.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I got the play by play as it was taking place and there's a strong possibility that just like when he shoots a full mag of magnums at deer, a whole quiver may have been loosed. Plot twist #2, this time the animal was recovered.

Plot clears.
Thats why he made hamburger is there wasnt a full piece of breast left.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Plot clears.
Thats why he made hamburger is there wasnt a full piece of breast left.

proof. It sure was cute.

I like to shoot my deer twice, my elk 3 times, and even my turkeys twice. Twice the shots, twice the fun!

Ok, I'm guilty of this.

Most of the stuff I shoot, it's multiple times. If I can still get another arrow in it, I do.

Several elk I put 3 arrows in, bear, and a few deer.

MattB

WKR
Guys should have to preface their posts on this forum with the number of archery big game kills to provide context for their experience. There are some killers on here, but I feel like most threads would result in an OP with 0-3 bow kills (most likely white tails) giving the business to guys with 100+ bow kills who are trying to provide honest advice based on years and more likely decades of experience.

Rob5589

WKR
You should take up golf and piss off every other person on the course.
Meh, what's a few provisionals between friends :LOL:

Cumulative is cumulative, regardless of weight. Keep your joints healthy, maintain reasonable strength, you're likely to stay injury free. Personally I find draw cycles/cam design to make a bigger difference than simply weight alone. Especially if/when you have to let down.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Guys should have to preface their posts on this forum with the number of archery big game kills to provide context for their experience. There are some killers on here, but I feel like most threads would result in an OP with 0-3 bow kills (most likely white tails) giving the business to guys with 100+ bow kills who are trying to provide honest advice based on years and more likely decades of experience.
If I shoot it 3 times does that count as 1 or 3? 😆

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Something to the power stroke thing. What I learned with these bows is a 1.5" of draw length is worth 6-8lbs of draw weight to see the same velocity.
Ya, 2fps for every pound of draw weight......10fps for every inch of draw length.....1" of draw length = 5lbs of draw weight.......fairly standard expectations. But I always laugh when manufacturers rate their bows for long draws as "354fps IBO at 33" draw". IBO is measured at 30", so that bow would be a 324 IBO bow. What they don't print is an equal comparison for the 27" draw bow, which would be "294 IBO at 27" draw"......LOL.

Ya, 2fps for every pound of draw weight......10fps for every inch of draw length.....1" of draw length = 5lbs of draw weight.......fairly standard expectations. But I always laugh when manufacturers rate their bows for long draws as "354fps IBO at 33" draw". IBO is measured at 30", so that bow would be a 324 IBO bow. What they don't print is an equal comparison for the 27" draw bow, which would be "294 IBO at 27" draw"......LOL.

I think Elite use to actually do the best job with this. On their tune chart they had the limb deflection with mod at whatever DL and gave a fps, generally was pretty accurate.

Ibo is really just a speed at 5gr/#. Manufacturers kinda tried to standardize it with a 30" DL. If going by what IBO rules are, on a shorter draw bow you can go lighter than the 5gr/# if you want to a point, so a short DL bow could actually go up in "IBO rating". I haven't seen anyone adopt that yet.

Edit to add-
This is the only thing I have ever seen from the IBO on it. It's not like they independently test bows and give them a rating. Manufacturers just took the rules and said what their bows would shoot at that, and generally chose 30"

III. EQUIPMENT
A. Grains per Pound and Arrow Speed
1. Arrows must weigh at least five (5) grains per pound of the bow’s maximum shooting weight
unless the archer’s equipment qualifies for the exception set out in Paragraph 2 below. Shooting
weight is defined as the bow’s maximum draw or thrust weight, as set up at the time of
competition. A variance of two (2) pounds of draw weight shall be allowed for bow scale
variation. Equipment qualifying in this paragraph (III.A.1) shall have no limit on arrow speed.
2. In the case where an archer’s equipment, when shot at five (5) grains per pound, does not generate
290 fps, that archer may shoot arrows weighing less than five (5) grains per pound. However,
equipment qualifying under this paragraph (III.A.2) shall not exceed an arrow speed of 290 fps.

I could be incorrect, but I can't remember ever seeing anything else from the IBO on it, everything has just been ads from companies, and repeated in print of reviews.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how few people understand resistance training and how it can benefit any sort of physical activity.

Get outta here with your logic. My working out in the gym and ease of pulling back my 100# bow is purely coincidental and not linked in any way, shape, or form

I've seen some pretty big gym rat looking guys at bow shops that really struggled with 70lb bows.
Very good chance that it was their first time to ever pull a bow back. It’s an awkward and unfamiliar movement. Or maybe they saw some dork on tv struggle to get his bow back and thought that’s how it’s supposed to look.
I have a good friend that’s an IFBB pro bodybuilder. I watched him struggle with his first 6 arrows out of a 70lb bow. After that he made it look like 20lb.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the great input!

My current set up is ready for the fall and I am not going to change anything this year. However, a new bow to play with over the winter and spring sounds like a fun idea.

I love Mathews but I am not married to them. Also, Mathews only goes up to 75lbs. Probably, leaning towards Hoyt.

So next question. Which company makes the best 80lbs bows?