$800 binos need some reccomendations

Shrek

WKR
I went in to Cabelas to buy a spotting scope last week. I asked the guy working their to see the Cabelas meopta and the vortex for comparison. When I asked about warrantyn or repairs he just laughed about the Meopta and said good luck. Vortex on the other hand is a no brainer. Made my decision easy, I will be buying from Doug at cameraland the Vortex very soon.

Doesn't say much for Cabelas. The Euros are made by Meopta but they are Cabelas branded and Meopta backs them just as much as Cabelas is willing to pay. I haven't heard any horror stories about Meopta service but Cabelas is hit or miss.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
Is it Cabelas you are dealing with or Meopta ?

Right now its cabelas only.... When I bought the binos they actually cost a bit more than the meopta branded because if the big cabelas warranty they carried and right now I think they should be the ones taking care of the issue and dealing with meopta if necessary

dotman

WKR
Right now its cabelas only.... When I bought the binos they actually cost a bit more than the meopta branded because if the big cabelas warranty they carried and right now I think they should be the ones taking care of the issue and dealing with meopta if necessary

Yeah cabelas takes people all the time, if I remember right Meopta has a great warranty and it might even be no fault but I could be wrong there.

daddie63

WKR
I would definitely contact Meopta. I got a pair of their Euro HD's from Cabelas bargain cave and Meopta helped me get a broken eye cup fixed. They were great to deal with.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
I will once I see what happens with cabelas... I did contact meopta last summer for a replacement lens cap and was referred directly to cabelas since they were cabelas branded .... No issues and cabelas sent me 2 new ones.

sakalmon

FNG
From what I was told by Cabelas employee about euro warranty. If you fail to send the warranty card in to Meopta right after buying you are screwed with Meopta. As far as Cabelas they will possibly back it with store credit. I am just repeating what I was told, hopefully this is not true.

eltaco

WKR
You might do better to call support or talk with a store employee rather than online chat support, too. Hope you find some success!

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
Ya definetly Ive had prettys solid luck with the email support over the years plus writing allows me to atleast articulat my first contact pretty good so I dont come off like an ass right away lol I save that for the 2nd contact.. I would imagine i will hear something today or tomorrrow though

gelton

WKR
I dont know gman but it sounds like you are getting a raw deal. I had a 30 + year old Leupold VX 3 that quit adjusting (something in the erector spring) and I sent it in for repair, they no longer carrry the part that was broken so they fixed me up with a $690 new VX3. The one that I sent in had side focus and they even offered to customize a side focus for it even though the new VX3 didnt have it. I opted for the CDS system instead and had a brand new scope sent out no questions asked.

Based on your experience so far, I would look for a company with a better warranty like Vortex or Leupold.

bbrown

WKR
^^^Agreed^^^.
Hopefully they take care of you but if not I would look into Vortex (or maybe even Zeiss Conquest HD if you can swing a couple hundred more) since you will only have store credit to spend. Don't think leupold has any mid range binos in that prices range since the Gold rings were discontinued.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
Got a call from cabelas CS at lunch and they were able to help me out with an upgrade to the 10x42 hd that replaced my standard euros. it'll cost me a bit out of pocket but I'm fine with it ... Like was said earlier I basically used the last pair 7 yrs for free now I get the next level glass at a minimal cost so all in all I'm happy with it and hope this glass turns out to be as good as the last have been for me because i loved them .... Thanks for all the input guys I definitely read a lot about new glass over yhe last 7yrs I didn't know/ hadn't kept up with that's for sire

charvey9

WKR
A really good bino for the money are the Leupold BX4's. I know they don't hold the same clout in the bino world since they quit making the gold rings, but these are a great value. Personally I have a pair of Swaro 8x32 EL's that are my go to. Side-by-side the Leupold are on par with the Swaro during the day, and just a slight difference in light transmission at dawn/dusk.

hawkhunts

FNG
i'd just try to take Cabelas to the matt on this one- especially if they give you a $799 gift card you can only use there. I drive by one twice a day so I can browse the bargain cave and pick up some deals in store you don't see online. I just saw their flyer and they have the cabelas instinct hd from $799 to $1599. Ask them to see if they have a similiar glass in any of the other bargain caves that are discontinued and still carry a warranty. For some reason I think ours has some meopta/cabelas euros in the case for a hot deal. Maybe something like that will fit the bill. If not, try another service rep.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
Got the new binos today cabelas shipped 2 day rather than getting them the 22nd like she said so they really did good by me ... Just looking a bit through them this morning im pretty positive ill be just as happy with these as i have been my standard euros.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Got the new binos today cabelas shipped 2 day rather than getting them the 22nd like she said so they really did good by me ... Just looking a bit through them this morning im pretty positive ill be just as happy with these as i have been my standard euros.

As a former owner of the standard Meostar 10X42 and current owner of the Meostar 10X42 HD, I think you will be even more happy than you were. :)

The HD is an exceptional binocular.

Enjoy.

pumatom

FNG
zeiss conquest hd 10X42. Would put you back about 200 more. I have never used the cabelas, but i have never seen a bino at the 1000 price point i like as much as the conquest. I damn near cried when I tried them next to myHey Victory HT that I pay
ed double for.

Where are you located at?

Joe
Joe, are you saying the Conquest 10 x 42 glass is as
good as the Zeiss Victorys ?