$800 binos need some reccomendations

gman82001

WKR
Ok guys i need help I sent in my cabelas euros for some work and just got news back they are discountined they will send them back or give me the 799 it cost in the beginning (2007) the new euro hd's are $1200 what binos are out ther equal to mine in the $800 range I havent kept up with binos since i dropped the coin on mine because i figured i was set for life

kravguy

WKR
Boy that's kind of crappy. I remember years ago I owned a pair of Leupold binos that needed work. I sent them in for repair and the same thing happened, only they offered to upgrade me to the new HD models for an extra $50-100. Seems like this could work the same way.

kravguy

WKR
Something comparable, but in the 600 range would be Vortex viper hds. If I had 800 I'd look hard for a slightly used set of Vortex razor hd, or maybe Zeiss conquest hd.

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw some slightly used Zeiss Conquest HD's for $850 on ebay. 10x42

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Unless you like the weight I would recommend you look at the Minox HG. It's downfall is a somewhat narrow field of view compared to most, but the view is very comparable to the original Euro's, if not better and they only weigh 24oz. Doug usually has them in a Demo model but it looks like right now he's out.

I'm very surprised Cabela's didn't offer you a free upgrade. You must have dealt with their worst employee.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
Ya it was just the live chat thing and she said a letter was sent out yesterday with the offer. The more I think about it I'm going to see if they can help with an upgrade ... I spent months comparing glass back then and absolutely made the right choice they were sold to me as having the absolute best repair or replace warranty at the time and that was a huge factor too. I totally admit I was at fault with scratching the eye piece and understand if they can't do a full upgrade because of it ... But if I end up upgrading to the new hd's I will be spending half again. As much for what was their top of the line then plus ill be paying sales tax again ( I bought in thr store last time and will want to look through the new ones as well). I seriously bought these as my last pair of binos thinking if anything ever happened I was covered not just here's your $but the stuff we replaced it with costs half again as much now ... I would be completely happy just to get the eye piece refinished rather than even deal with upgrading anything

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Gman82001 , Doug at Cameralandny has the 8x42 meostar non hd like you had as demos for $699 and the 10x42 for $739. Either way you used your euros for 7 years for free basically. There is also new hd meoptas coming out that Bitterroot Bulls is supposed to recieve and review in june I think. Personally I'd call Doug and see if he could work you a great price on some Meopta 10x42 hd's. I'd come off the extra for the hd's but that's just my opinion.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
That may work they told me it would be a gift card but I could maybe find someone who is buying something big and see if they would buy the gift card.... I'm kinda pizzed the more I think about it. like I say I scratched them falling down but they were sold as a repair or replace warranty no matter what... I frign love em and don't want to start over lol .... Guess ill see exactly what the letter says then start from there

stephen b

WKR
Just my opinion- but I love 8x32 size glass- so, if it was me I would get these 8x32 euro HD's for $799

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...&search=Search&No=0&Ntt=Instinct+euro+HD+bino

And the glass would be an upgrade- just in a nice smaller lightweight package. In the 8x32 format, you would have to spend a lot more to find something better.

If I need something bigger- I carry a spotter also.

Again- just my 2c

I haven't done a vast amount of comparing binos side by side but my khales 10x42 have never left me wanting. They are 950 on up but if you look you can find deals. I think I got mine for 650$ at Sportsman's on close out a few years ago. They are lightweight and super clear. My buddy has Swaros and I've done side by side with those. The Swaro was slightly more clear but there wasn't that noticeable a difference to justify an upgrade. So my recommendation ate those khales 10x42, I always say they are the most underrated binos.

Also maybe ask how much to upgrade directly through them. They may cut you a really good deal since they have a lot of room in the markup on the binos. If their customer service is good They should let you up grade for pretty minimal $$

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
I just sent off a request to see about just that or just flat reparing mine I love the damn things and don't want anything else at this point. I pointed out I know full well it was my fault and don't expect them to have to cover it all if the only option is to upgrade replace. Guess well see where it goes from here.

Bubba

FNG
Gman,
I have the cabelas euro's and was thinking of sending them in for cleaning and maybe new class as one lenses is scratched. I bought these thinking this was the last pair of glass I was going to buy. I guess that's wrong! I might try and see what they offer me. I would be looking at the Vortex Viper HD 10x42.

Good luck in your decision.

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
Ya all I wanted was a scratch fixed now I'm not sure what's going to happen.... I love my binos and would just be happy to get em fixed

@Bubba,
You might call Meopta, they manufacture these for Cabelas. They might help you if Cabelas will not.

@gman
I think if you are willing to add $200, you could get the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42. Aron did a review on them on this site...the review basically says they are as good as alpha glass. IMO, $200 addition is not that bad for an upgrade.

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
Cabelas may not handle repairs, might try contacting Meopta directly. Is the $799 cash or cabelas credit. The money back plus what a repair might have cost gives you lots of options.

I ordered the 8x32 cabelas hd which are very nice. They came missing a buckle on the strap and cabelas didn't have the part. I contacted meopta and they sent me a new strap.

sakalmon

FNG
I went in to Cabelas to buy a spotting scope last week. I asked the guy working their to see the Cabelas meopta and the vortex for comparison. When I asked about warrantyn or repairs he just laughed about the Meopta and said good luck. Vortex on the other hand is a no brainer. Made my decision easy, I will be buying from Doug at cameraland the Vortex very soon.

zeiss conquest hd 10X42. Would put you back about 200 more. I have never used the cabelas, but i have never seen a bino at the 1000 price point i like as much as the conquest. I damn near cried when I tried them next to my Victory HT that I payed double for.

Where are you located at?

Joe

OP
G

gman82001

WKR
the lady on live chat this morning said it would be a gift card but I have thought about maybe contacting meopta if cabelas flakes out on me. Honestly I would be completely happy with a repair im not in it for an upgrade by any means. but if they don't do anything to help I will not spend that 800 back at cabelas that's for sure