7saum Tikka 169 Hammer Hunter (HH) or 168 Cutting Edge MTH instead of 145LRX for Deer and Elk?

amassi

WKR
Have you looked at cutting edge bullets at all?
Same wounding as a hammer, shank and petals. Despite the plastic tip the petals didn't fragment any more violently. You'd need to mock one up there's a seal tite band that can't go into the neck. Makes for an awfully long round in some cartridges
Neither bullet is more impressive than any other mono.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I really want to try some other mono copper bullets other than Barnes however the BC of coppers dont even come close to the BC of modern lead core bullets. BC is everything past 500 yards.

If they can manufacture a bullet like the Absolute Hammers with a higher BC that would be money for short barrel rifles.

I was also going to mention badlands bullets, but forest beat me to the punch. I’m currently waiting for some time to load them up and my understanding is that they pressure up a bit sooner and that the terminal ballistics will be more similar to Barnes, but the BC’s are wild, and quite frankly I’ve found that I have to be a little more discriminating on shot angle with hammers to hedge against meat-loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Same wounding as a hammer, shank and petals. Despite the plastic tip the petals didn't fragment any more violently. You'd need to mock one up there's a seal tite band that can't go into the neck. Makes for an awfully long round in some cartridges
Neither bullet is more impressive than any other mono.

The donkey gunsmith that chambered my rifle with an extra .1” freebore might allow me to shoot the single feed ceb bullets. The problem is they make a 1/9 and 1/7 twist on their 284 bullets. Something in the middle in a 160 range with high BC would be appealing.

I think the allure of the ceb is they have higher bc than the hammers.

amassi

WKR
The donkey gunsmith that chambered my rifle with an extra .1” freebore might allow me to shoot the single feed ceb bullets. The problem is they make a 1/9 and 1/7 twist on their 284 bullets. Something in the middle in a 160 range with high BC would be appealing.

I think the allure of the ceb is they have higher bc than the hammers.
That thread about your omr experience is literally my nightmare seventh circle of hell stuff.

Ucsdryder

WKR
That thread about your omr experience is literally my nightmare seventh circle of hell stuff.

Lol it all worked out. AG composites was great throughout the process. The gun ended up shooting great after some in depth load development and overall I love it. Of course I’d never let Oregon Mountain Rifles touch another gun I owned, but the tikka is about the best platform to build off!

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I was also going to mention badlands bullets, but forest beat me to the punch. I’m currently waiting for some time to load them up and my understanding is that they pressure up a bit sooner and that the terminal ballistics will be more similar to Barnes, but the BC’s are wild, and quite frankly I’ve found that I have to be a little more discriminating on shot angle with hammers to hedge against meat-loss

Nice, I'll have to check them out.

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider

Wow, if those bullets hold up to the hype, they're going to be my hunting bullet. Ordered some 150gr 1:8 twist ones yesterday.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
The badlands shoot well I have shot them in a few of my rifles and my buddy had no problem getting them to shoot great, 7 saum is a great caliber I’ve had a couple 7 rem mag, 7 lrm, 28 nosler and the saum is my favorite, great cartridge

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
The badlands shoot well I have shot them in a few of my rifles and my buddy had no problem getting them to shoot great, 7 saum is a great caliber I’ve had a couple 7 rem mag, 7 lrm, 28 nosler and the saum is my favorite, great cartridge
Awesome! I'm making a badlands 150 7saum dumby round tomorrow.

amassi

WKR
Does this seem possible, 7saum 145grlrx 3450FPS from a 26" barrel? That seems awefully high.

Title says 7saum, description shows 7stw

Nope that's a misprint

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Well i finally got my Tikka with Whidden chabered 7rsaum 18" proof CF barrel put onto my Grayboe Phoenix stock. Running the stock tikka trigger at 2lb pull (factory adjusted) and factory magazine.

I'm working up a load with IMR4831, Federal 215primer and Badlands Precision 150gr Bulldozer 2. I think 59gr of IMR4831 is the best in my gun, about 2840fps. Its a bit lower fps than I was hoping, but I was expecting about 150fps drop with my 18" barrel when most load data seems to be with 24" barrels.

But i'm loving the 18" and my Ultra 7 suppressor. This setup kicks way way way less than my previous 270. Its 1" longer than my 7RM Tikka, so hunting in a deer blind wont be that hindered.

Even at only 2840fps, i should be close to 2000fps around 500-600 yards if Badland's claimed 0.309 G7 holds true.

Last edited:

gabenzeke

WKR
Anybody tried the McGuire bullets out of a saum? Bc on those look pretty good...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk