7saum Tikka 169 Hammer Hunter (HH) or 168 Cutting Edge MTH instead of 145LRX for Deer and Elk?

My dope chart with 143gr Hammers at 7500 DA.

Personally I’d go 20in. I run 22in with a can. Though it’s long, I don’t think it is holding be back in western terrain where it’s the appropriate weapon.307D0A52-F21F-401F-8C89-F13C1B2B8C56.png

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
well it'll be a while until I decide on a caliber now. ADG released some 7 saum brass today, and the site that i've been checking all day sold out in 15 minutes or less while I was reading a bedtime story to my son. :mad:

well it'll be a while until I decide on a caliber now. ADG released some 7 saum brass today, and the site that i've been checking all day sold out in 15 minutes or less while I was reading a bedtime story to my son. :mad:
Ha! BTDT. Don’t fret, plenty of time until hunting season. ADG is grade A brass and top notch people. The 7 SAUM is well worth it… I’m biased but it’s the Goldilocks cartridge. Soft shooting, plenty of power for anything in North America, can work in a short action, very accurate and easy to tune, and can reach out there.

Too bad Remington sucks at marketing new cartridges.

Forest

WKR
Adg seems to be building the 7saum brass fairly often, every few months lately anyways. I was able to pre-order some of this last batch and really is the only way to do it imo. Otherwise it sells crazy fast. Adg seems very open to telling people their schedule so worth checking direct once in a while too. I'm fairly confident you could get brass by the time you get everything ordered and built

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Ha! BTDT. Don’t fret, plenty of time until hunting season. ADG is grade A brass and top notch people. The 7 SAUM is well worth it… I’m biased but it’s the Goldilocks cartridge. Soft shooting, plenty of power for anything in North America, can work in a short action, very accurate and easy to tune, and can reach out there.

Too bad Remington sucks at marketing new cartridges.

Adg seems to be building the 7saum brass fairly often, every few months lately anyways. I was able to pre-order some of this last batch and really is the only way to do it imo. Otherwise it sells crazy fast. Adg seems very open to telling people their schedule so worth checking direct once in a while too. I'm fairly confident you could get brass by the time you get everything ordered and built

I'll reach out to them and see when their next run will be.

Everyone saying go 20" instead of 18", given the old 25 fps per inch rule, are we really only talking about a speed increase of 50 fps? Given that, for me, looking to stay inside of 500 yards and have a really nimble rifle, would you still recommend a 20" barrel?

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re looking for under 500 yards go with a lighter bullet hammers do well the faster the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends on the bc of the bullet, if you can push them fast enough to overcome the decrease in bc. And I've been hearing hammers don't list an accurate bc on their site.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Everyone saying go 20" instead of 18", given the old 25 fps per inch rule, are we really only talking about a speed increase of 50 fps? Given that, for me, looking to stay inside of 500 yards and have a really nimble rifle, would you still recommend a 20" barrel?
25-40 is more accurate.

Forest

WKR
Thought I would pass this along for those of you not on the hammer forum. Primarily just for Steve's response.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't been in this long range game very long so not a ton of experience. But I think this is something seen with almost any bullet, some just have a design that is far less affected?? (Like the absolute hammer??) And also why some guns shoot just about any bullet you throw at it.

For me consistency in accuracy and terminal performance are my top priorities and thus why they are still my first choice right now.

tdbaugha

FNG
25-40 is more accurate.
I don’t think that applies to short magnums like the saum. Gunwerks had a podcast about barrel lengths and the saum lost the least. My 20” saum shoots 169gr bullets at 2950fps which is faster than reloading handbooks data with 24” and 26” barrels.

To OP, with a 6.5” can installed, I don’t find the rifle too long for hunting. Feels totally normal to be honest.

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would pass this along for those of you not on the hammer forum. Primarily just for Steve's response.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't been in this long range game very long so not a ton of experience. But I think this is something seen with almost any bullet, some just have a design that is far less affected?? (Like the absolute hammer??) And also why some guns shoot just about any bullet you throw at it.

For me consistency in accuracy and terminal performance are my top priorities and thus why they are still my first choice right now.

Have you looked at cutting edge bullets at all?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t think that applies to short magnums like the saum. Gunwerks had a podcast about barrel lengths and the saum lost the least. My 20” saum shoots 169gr bullets at 2950fps which is faster than reloading handbooks data with 24” and 26” barrels.

To OP, with a 6.5” can installed, I don’t find the rifle too long for hunting. Feels totally normal to be honest.
Well coming from someone shooting a 20” 7saum that’s what I experienced. But if you heard it on a podcast!😝

Every gun seems to be different and every inch different. You never know, but my 20” Saum does 2750 with very light marks on the case head, so I’m running it pretty hard. Pretty easy to get 2950 with a standard barrel. That’s a lot more than 25fps.

tdbaugha

FNG
Well coming from someone shooting a 20” 7saum that’s what I experienced. But if you heard it on a podcast!😝

Every gun seems to be different and every inch different. You never know, but my 20” Saum does 2750 with very light marks on the case head, so I’m running it pretty hard. Pretty easy to get 2950 with a standard barrel. That’s a lot more than 25fps.
What bullet, brass, and powder? I loaded up to 2990 in a ladder and still seemed ok.

tdbaugha

FNG
180eldms with 64.2gr of h1000 is my finally resting spot. She shoots soooo good. 2750fps on the magneto.
Oh ok, I thought you were only getting 2750 with a 168-169 gr bullet.

I tried h1000 up to 67 grains with the 169 HH. Plotted the velocity curve and it’s very evident that not all the powder is burning past ~65 grains. Speed was lower as well as compared to h4831sc.

Not being able to utilize the slower powders for heavy bullets is a negative with a shorter barrel.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Oh ok, I thought you were only getting 2750 with a 168-169 gr bullet.

I tried h1000 up to 67 grains with the 169 HH. Plotted the velocity curve and it’s very evident that not all the powder is burning past ~65 grains. Speed was lower as well as compared to h4831sc.

Not being able to utilize the slower powders for heavy bullets is a negative with a shorter barrel.
I really wanted to use rl26 but got pressure early. I heard it gives better velocity but I couldn’t get it to work.

Forest

WKR
Have you looked at cutting edge bullets at all?
Yeah I think they are a good option. General concensus is the hammers are easier to work up loads and maybe a little faster
They are definitely more expensive and not always available.
If they made a ceb in that 160gr range I'd be more interested.

amassi

WKR
16"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk