7PRC -Prone to Pressure Signs and Carbon Ring Buildup?

Blue_dog

FNG
I have some hornady eldx in 7prc that’s been popping primers out. I’d say about 1/4 of the primers end up in the mag on average suppressed. I’m going to shoot with a brake tomorrow.
Just to update folks that might be interested. Federal eldx was blowing out 1 in every three primers and the velocities were nearly 2900 in an 18in barrel.

Switched to hornady and the fps came down a bit. Fixed a mounting issue in the scope and ran the gun out to 1,000 yards. Headed to the sheep mountains.

Anyone need 3 boxes of federal cheap?

Pure ******* ignorance yet again. And proof that shooting a lot doesn’t really make you an expert in anything. I’d put you as juuuuust less of a charlatan than Cortina. He probably shoots as much as you do, but actually puts his name out there and has skins on the wall. He’s built his entire reputation/persona on precision and he treats his gun like his ass, cleans it after every use.

The 6.5 PRC that after 150 rounds of ammo loaded in the exact same way, with same lot materials, all of a sudden had extremely hard bolt lift with no velo increase, and it went away after a thorough cleaning wasn’t a carbon ring???!?!?

The 22 GT that shot great for the first 500 rounds, then would blow up ~5% of bullets if I went more than twice without cleaning, then at
800+ rounds is blowing up 8-10% regardless?? Nope! Bullets never blow up and cleaning doesn’t matter because some anonymous moron on line said so! 🙄

Anyone reading this thread I would look up what someone like @Frank Green has to say. Again he’s someone who looks at 1,000’s of barrels a year for his living. Not just someone who “sHoOtS a LoT!1!1” and made a name for himself by dropping things…
"At the core of all anger is a need that is not being fulfilled."

Everything okay at home @Megalodon ?

Fyaman1

FNG
Im getting random velocity spikes in my 7 prc barrel. Im in the load development phase, i just hit 100 rounds through my barrel Im loading 68-70.3 grains of retumbo shooting a 160 copper rose, virgin adg brass chamfered and mandrelled to 1 thousandth under caliber, fed 215 primers. Getting a nice gradual velocity increase between 2980-3120 fps. At 70 rounds(last cleaning was 40 rounds ago) i started seeing random pressure spikes between 3250-3300 fps along with more felt recoil. 7 velocity spikes total in the past 25 rounds.

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
Im getting random velocity spikes in my 7 prc barrel. Im in the load development phase, i just hit 100 rounds through my barrel Im loading 68-70.3 grains of retumbo shooting a 160 copper rose, virgin adg brass chamfered and mandrelled to 1 thousandth under caliber, fed 215 primers. Getting a nice gradual velocity increase between 2980-3120 fps. At 70 rounds(last cleaning was 40 rounds ago) i started seeing random pressure spikes between 3250-3300 fps along with more felt recoil. 7 velocity spikes total in the past 25 rounds.

What powder thrower are you using? That’s quite the large spread. Have you scoped your barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyaman1

FNG
Rcbs chargemaster 1500. I always double check the charge weight, (pull it off and put it back on to confirm the weight on the same scale) and anything higher is a compressed load so im doubting that is the issue. And negative never scoped the barrel.never had a reason to own a barrel scope lol

What powder thrower are you using? That’s quite the large spread. Have you scoped your barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Last edited:

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I had a very similar problem previously with another caliber. I have another scale, though, that I used to verify the charge, and low, and behold the thrower was incredibly inconsistent. If your velocities are inconsistent, and not just each successive shot being faster than the last, I think it is a reloading issue, and not a barrel or caliber issue.

Fyaman1

FNG
I had a very similar problem previously with another caliber. I have another scale, though, that I used to verify the charge, and low, and behold the thrower was incredibly inconsistent. If your velocities are inconsistent, and not just each successive shot being faster than the last, I think it is a reloading issue, and not a barrel or caliber issue.

Im struggling to get over 3100 fps without running out of room for powder in my case Which is kind of why im leaning away from the amount of powder being the issue. And all my other loads are within 20 ES or less. But im no expert. Just in the past 2 years ive been trying to learn and become a more serious rifleman and reloader. Maybe ill look into getting a better scale to confirm these charges.

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I’m confused. I thought you said your velocities were between 2890 and 3120. That is not an ES of 20.

Have you tried a different powder? And what is your barrel length?

Fyaman1

FNG
I’m confused. I thought you said your velocities were between 2890 and 3120. That is not an ES of 20.

Have you tried a different powder? And what is your barrel length?

22” barrel. I've tried staball hd but my ES was pretty high but that was before i started using the neck expander too. Sorry that was confusing im saying between all my load workup my loads have been between those numbers which is why when i get a velocity spike at 3200+ it really stands out. Heres my info from yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_5353.jpeg
    IMG_5353.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5355.jpeg
    IMG_5355.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
and mandrelled to 1 thousandth under caliber,
Many folks would say that’s not enough neck tension and .003” to .005” is much more common. I would bet lunch that will help your velocities even out.

Everything we do and all the components vary a little bit - tolerance stacking can quickly use up that .001” so the bullet is just flip flopping and might be into the lands if the load is compressed and it squeezes the bullet out.

Fyaman1

FNG
Many folks would say that’s not enough neck tension and .003” to .005” is much more common. I would bet lunch that will help your velocities even out.

Everything we do and all the components vary a little bit - tolerance stacking can quickly use up that .001” so the bullet is just flip flopping and might be into the lands if the load is compressed and it squeezes the bullet out.
Okay i can try that, the bullet manufacturer suggested one thousandth under caliber.