7PRC -Prone to Pressure Signs and Carbon Ring Buildup?

OP
D

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t go looking for problems that aren’t there. Try different ammo before thinking it’s a cleaning issue.
Thanks man. That seems to be the consensus. I’ll hit the range with the new ammo this weekend and report back.

OP
D

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
Played hookie and hit the range this afternoon. Happy to report that the gun is shooting good with no carbon ring surgery required. around 1 MOA with 20 rounds of the new Fusion Tipped (175gr). It shot significantly worse, around 2MOA, with Terminal Ascent in 155gr. Would love to track down some 170gr TA.

Thanks again, everyone, for talking me through this. Big lesson learned. Once you've made sure your rifle is buttoned down, make sure you send a few different types of bullet down the barrel before you go chasing carbon rings.

I promise I won't clean my bore again until after dear season is over and I'm ready to put the rifle up for 6 mos. :)

OP
D

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
Or never. That works too.

How far would you go with that? Another piece of YouTube wisdom (Backfire and Ron Spomer) says that when you’re going from gilded metal to copper bullets you gotta get the bore scrubbed up pretty good for the copper to group well.

atmat

WKR
How far would you go with that? Another piece of YouTube wisdom (Backfire and Ron Spomer) says that when you’re going from gilded metal to copper bullets you gotta get the bore scrubbed up pretty good for the copper to group well.
I used to be a pretty religious cleaner.

Now I don’t clean at all. Ever. Unless something like mud gets into the barrel, at which point I swab it.

I only have like 2k rounds combined across barrels since I stopped cleaning — so not a whole lot of data to speak to.

@Formidilosus has shot >10k rounds on barrels without cleaning, I believe.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

It’s all bs. Shoot it until the barrel needs replaced.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s all bs. Shoot it until the barrel needs replaced.
Barrels can get so dirty that they shred copper jackets. Poofing them in midair. Cleaning fixes and prevents that

Suppressed barrels can get so dirty within 500 rounds that you have pressure and extraction issues. Cleaning (barrel and can) fixes and prevents that.

Im not a clean freak, but saying you should never clean a barrel is ridiculous

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Barrels can get so dirty that they shred copper jackets. Poofing them in midair. Cleaning fixes and prevents that

Is that right?

Suppressed barrels can get so dirty within 500 rounds that you have pressure and extraction issues. Cleaning fixes and prevents that.

Do they now?

As I am sitting 10-12 bolt action rifles that have between 500 and 20,000 rounds on the same barrel without ever being cleaned- ever; most being suppressed for 100% of those rounds, and yet no issues. From 223 to 300 rum IMP. I have 2x gas guns with more than 30,000 rounds still being used seriously, and have shot and seen shot dozens, and dozens 100% suppressed for over 10,000 rounds per barrel. Zero cleaning, the only the only thing that has been in the barrel is bullets.

I, and another 26-27 people shot or watched shot 10x rental rifles at the three S2H class shot for approx 2,500 rounds apiece, all 100% suppressed. No issue’s, and all shoot as they did when new.

Im not a clean freak, but saying you should never clean a barrel is ridiculous

What’s your experience in shooting barrels for their entire life without cleaning?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Is that right?
Yes

Do they now?
Yes

What’s your experience in shooting barrels for their entire life without cleaning?
Zero. Can't get past 200 suppressed rounds without issues so it's not for me.

I do not claim it is impossible to shoot out a barrel problem-free without cleaning.
Do you actually claim you can shoot out all barrels with any loads problem free without cleaning?

ETA: obviously the OP of thread did not have a cleanliness issue

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
Someone needs to tell the Marine Corps that clean rifles are unnecessary. I remember 30+ years ago getting worn out on the quarterdeck for what I thought was a clean rifle, but apparently wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Zero. Can't get past 200 suppressed rounds without issues so it's not for me.

That is someone getting cute with chambers, throats, and reloads.

Do you actually claim you can shoot out all barrels with any loads problem free without cleaning?

I’m waiting for the first one that gives an issue. First it was “well yeah, 5.56mm you can get away with it maybe”. Then “well maybe 308 as well”. Then, 243wins, 6.5cm, 260, 22-250’s, 22cm’s, 6cm, 6XC, 7-08, 270win, 30-06, 300 Win mag’s, 300 RUM’s, 300 Normas, 338 Lapuas and Normas, 7mm RM, 300 Weatherby’s, 7mm Weatherby’s, 30-378 Weatherby’s, etc, etc , etc.

The last ones we were “assured” would cause issues was the 6 UM- somehow in Ryan’s 3 barrels, one of mine, and 3-4 others never being cleaned for 600+ rounds, all suppressed- no issues. Then- 7PRC will definitely need cleaning frequently- there is a stickied thread about a brand new X-Bolt 2 in 7PRC at the top of the firearms sub forum. It hasn’t been cleaned in the nearly 600 rounds shot so far- it’s shooting better now than at any point since being pulled from the box.

So now it’s the 22UM- maybe I will finally find that magic combination that “blows up”, or has a “carbon ring problem”. Or in someway “needs” cleaned.

Blue_dog

FNG
I have some hornady eldx in 7prc that’s been popping primers out. I’d say about 1/4 of the primers end up in the mag on average suppressed. I’m going to shoot with a brake tomorrow.

Choupique

WKR
Someone needs to tell the Marine Corps that clean rifles are unnecessary.

I do some work with Marines from time to time. Let's just say machinery maintenance is not their specialty and leave it at that. Those guys could destroy a locomotive with a rubber hammer. They can be fun as hell to work with but man they tear up some expensive stuff.

I'm sure their motivations for doing it are different than the average western hunter, and the practice probably dates back to black powder.

TaperPin

WKR
1,000+/- suppressed rounds-

View attachment 751518
That reminds me of the rifle that kept getting chunks of carbon welded to the bore and neck of the chamber - to the point an unfired case would develop a dent in the shoulder if it was forced. The barrel was cleaned and borescoped to verify fouling was cleaned out, yet the big patches of carbon would reappear quickly. It wasn’t until the dirty can was cleaned that the problem stopped. It makes me chuckle that not cleaning a barrel is seen as a badge of honor and a dirty can constantly shedding flakes of carbon makes sense to anyone wanting a reliably accurate rifle. Operation normal. *chuckle*

TaperPin

WKR
For anyone reading this who has a blued barrel, they should know rust pitting will eventually ruin the bore if it’s a rifle that actually sees significant time in the field. At least once a year I chat with someone who cleans a barrel only to be shocked at all the pitting. I’ve bought plenty of used guns with low round counts that were never cleaned and the bore near the muzzle is solid pock marks.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think you should clean anything, but for the young guys figuring out what works and what doesn’t, not cleaning only works until it doesn’t.

Carry on.

SDHNTR

WKR
That pic above with the can removed sure looks like it needs a cleaning to me!

I’ve said this before…. I live on a peninsula surrounded by saltwater. If a barrel is not cleaned and/or well oiled before storage, especially a chomemoly one like on a traditional blued steel rifle, you will see pitting within weeks.

I don’t scrub down to bare metal very often at all, but all my rifles at least get a swab or three of oil/clp before going back in the safe.

Last edited: