7mm vs .270

In the next year or 2 I will be heading to Idaho for elk and mule deer (have a friend who lives there). I currently have an 8.5lb all up 7mm Rem Mag shooting 160gr Nosler Partitions. I also have a 7.5lb all up .270 I haven't shot yet but I plan on trying the new Federal Terminal Ascent 136gr and Accubonds in 140gr. Assuming either of those bullets shoot well and having a max shooting distance of 300 yards is it worth losing 1lb to take the .270? I have never been elk hunting or out west.

Axlrod

WKR
Either will work fine. killed my first 12 bulls with a 270. Practice at ranges farther than you intend to shoot so you will be confident in your shot placement when the time comes. Very good boots and very good bino's would be my #1 and other #1 focus. Choosing between those 2 very good cartridges would be way down the list. good luck and have fun! Not many things compare to being in the mountains hunting elk.

OP
L
Thanks for the response! I have been planning for this trip over the past 3 years. Ended up having a son 2 years ago so the trip was set back and now have another one due in the next few weeks. Pretty much have everything else covered. Looking at the numbers it doesn't look like I am giving much up using the .270 in either of those rounds.

Reactions: Guy
If your rifle likes the Federal buy tons of it. I have one rifle that loved it predecessor, TLR, but I could not find any nationwide. Each month I'd contact Federal and was told the production run is "next month". This went on for 6+ months before I gave up and went the hand load route.

When I hunt deer with a rifle, 140 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic SilverTips have served me well. The only elk hunt with a rifle, 154 gr accubond made a quick kill at 300 yards

Then I sold my rifle to take up bowhunting. I am going to buy another Ruger M77-7MM Rem Mag. Hunting got too easy with that rifle.

elkduds

WKR
I hunt w 270 and 7RM. As long as one is selective w shot choice, 270 is worth the weight savings, especially inside 300. You can take both! I do, for backup and in case I change my mind. Frankly I shoot my 9# 7RM more accurately than the 7# 270.

Tmac

WKR
The saying of ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain comes to mind. Either rifle is elk capable to your 300 yards max, and beyond. All your bullet choices are solid. I’d pack the 270 if it shot either load well, if it didn’t I’d try different 270 loads. I’ve packed 10 lb. + rifles, and sub 8lb rifles in the mountains. The older I get the steeper and taller the mountains are getting. Putting on a carbon wrapped barrel is my next move, along with lots of shooting.

I have both guns too. When elk are on the menu I prefer to take the 7 mm mag. Just a little insurance and I think the extra 20 gr of bullet can make a difference on an elk. I would prefer my 270 on any deer hunt.

If it was a choice between 7.5 lbs and 10 lbs. that would give me pause!

Chuckybmd

WKR
Others may disagree, but I prefer the seven mag all else equal. That being said if I was hoofing it, I would go with the lighter rifle. In my opinion the 270 is a great flat shooting cartridge. At 300 yards the kinetic energy energy would be deemed sufficient in my eyes for elk.

Wassid82

WKR
both great rounds. I have shot a 270/280 for years. Killed multiple animals. then in back to back years I had bull elk walk away never to be found after shooting my 280. Now I shoot 7 mag or 300 cal. My shot placements were good. it was just tough country and even tougher animals. I don't ever want that experience again

Thanks for the response! I have been planning for this trip over the past 3 years. Ended up having a son 2 years ago so the trip was set back and now have another one due in the next few weeks. Pretty much have everything else covered. Looking at the numbers it doesn't look like I am giving much up using the .270 in either of those rounds.

Kids are great, I love mine. That said lock it up this year so you can make it out on your hunt.

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7mm and a 270. I am a lot more confident with my 270 and that’s mainly because of the kick from the 7mm. Maybe that doesn’t effect your shooting. It defiantly plays a part in my choice when I pick what what Gun I’m taking. Good luck on your Hunt. Steep but amazing

Wrench

WKR
.007" is how much difference it makes on the business end.

If you can shoot the lighter gun well, you'll never wish you carried a heavier rifle.

D2D12061-844B-4F8A-ADCE-F584C336DFFB.jpeg

270 is still thumping at 500 yds... I think the rule of thumb is 1200-1500 lbs to tip an elk easy. Guy above with 12 bulls down with that gun sounds like music to me.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt the pound will make much of a difference depending on what type of hunting you're doing. I.e backcountry spike hunt or day hunting from the truck. Either will work great for your 300 yard range. One has an edge over the other. If you put it where it counts at 300 yards you don't have much to worry about. But what if you dont....my 7mag is my number 1. 😎😎😎😎 The other rifles rarely ever leave the safe.

Ram94

WKR
Take whichever one you shoot more accurately. A misplaced shot with 0.007" more lead wont matter.

KineKilla

WKR
I own 3 .270's and one 7mm. I love them all, would and have hunted mule deer and elk with both calibers without question. I do prefer the ballistics and increased bullet weight that the 7mm provides when hunting elk but can and will use either.

The chart above shows the energy at various ranges of the .270 but most bullet manufacturers do not base their recommendations off of the energy, they use the velocity. For example, Nosler says that their Accubond (my preferred projectile) expands best at speeds above 1,800 fps. Using that methodology, I determine my effective range for whatever rifle I'm hunting with.

I believe my 7mm, shooting 160gr Accubonds at a muzzle velocity of 2,945fps falls below the recommended 1,800fps right around 625yds. Not sure where the .270 would be distance-wise using this method to determine effective range.

Did that make any sense at all?

Sled

WKR
7 mm ….if the one pound extra weight is a concern you have bigger problems to worry about hiking in Elk country.....

to the OP:

I shot my elk last year with my new 7mm rem mag which weighs around 9lbs with bipod. it was no more dead than all the ones i shot before with a 270. but, i did get an arm workout since it was about a 1lb heavier rifle. i earn my vert and can definitely feel the weight difference.

that said, i'll be using a might lighter 6.5cm this year and feel that within reasonable distances it'll result in dead elk with a quality projectile.

I have two 270s and a 7RM. If elk is in the cards, I prefer the 7 with a heavier bullet. A diifference of a pound carry weight is not that big of a deal. Train harder.