7mm vs .270

Ram94

WKR
Just for kicks, what if we swap the 7RM for 7mm-08 still shooting a heavier than 150gr bullet. Anyone taking the 270 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
Thanks for all of the replies! Like I said I have never been out west. Most of my hunting takes place in farm land here in PA or IL. Occasionally I hunt the mountains for PA bear but I use my Kimber Adirondack .308 for that. Just wasn't sure if the .270 would be as adequate as the 7 mag for elk and mule deer. I have been doing non-stop research on this hunt for a few years now. I have come across people claiming all you need is a .243 others state you can't go smaller than a rocket launcher

KineKilla

WKR
Thanks for all of the replies! Like I said I have never been out west. Most of my hunting takes place in farm land here in PA or IL. Occasionally I hunt the mountains for PA bear but I use my Kimber Adirondack .308 for that. Just wasn't sure if the .270 would be as adequate as the 7 mag for elk and mule deer. I have been doing non-stop research on this hunt for a few years now. I have come across people claiming all you need is a .243 others state you can't go smaller than a rocket launcher
Don't sweat it too much. Both guns are adequate in the right hands.

Take the one that feels best on your shoulder and give em hell. The mountains out here aren't all like you see on TV nor are all of the elk at the very top of the mountain.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

why not use your 4#11oz Adirondack, especially for elk

In the next year or 2 I will be heading to Idaho for elk and mule deer (have a friend who lives there). I currently have an 8.5lb all up 7mm Rem Mag shooting 160gr Nosler Partitions. I also have a 7.5lb all up .270 I haven't shot yet but I plan on trying the new Federal Terminal Ascent 136gr and Accubonds in 140gr. Assuming either of those bullets shoot well and having a max shooting distance of 300 yards is it worth losing 1lb to take the .270? I have never been elk hunting or out west.
270 is fine. 7mm has more medicine though. Being your first elk hunt, I plus one the focus on boots. I’d plus 10 the need for great physical fitness. Doesn’t matter what boom stick you carry if you’re too gassed out or weak to find elk, not to mention packing out a mature bull. When you need to haul out 250+ lbs of elk, you’ll realize the extra 2lbs of rifle won’t be what does you in. If you increase your pt regimen by 10%, the heavier rifle will no longer feel that heavy. Just my two cents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In the next year or 2 I will be heading to Idaho for elk and mule deer (have a friend who lives there). I currently have an 8.5lb all up 7mm Rem Mag shooting 160gr Nosler Partitions. I also have a 7.5lb all up .270 I haven't shot yet but I plan on trying the new Federal Terminal Ascent 136gr and Accubonds in 140gr. Assuming either of those bullets shoot well and having a max shooting distance of 300 yards is it worth losing 1lb to take the .270? I have never been elk hunting or out west.
I would take the 7mm over the 270 eight days a week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
View attachment 179129

270 is still thumping at 500 yds... I think the rule of thumb is 1200-1500 lbs to tip an elk easy. Guy above with 12 bulls down with that gun sounds like music to me.
What load is that out of a 270? Because I can show you a 270 factory load that's out of steam at 350-400

sneaky

"DADDY"
Take whichever one you shoot more accurately. A misplaced shot with 0.007" more lead wont matter.
With 600 more ft lbs of energy it will out of the 7mag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I also have a 7mm-08 that I shoot 120 TTSX out of.
7mm08 is a great caliber, and that 120 will kill elk or deer. If you are going to limit your shots to 300yds or so, why even bother with a long action? The 7-08 or that Adirondack in 308 would be plenty. I've got a 7-08 Adirondack that shoots 140TSXs well under an MOA and it hammers deer. I let my dad use that one now, I carry a lightweight 280AI in the mountains now, the 7mm ballistics are just better than any comparable bullet weight out of a 270, and you can go with heavier bullets in the 7mms than you can the 270s. You got plenty of time to sort it out though

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
This post will go on forever. People have strong opinions about calibers, and love to share them. You've already been given the best advice you'll get. Take the one you can shoot the best. At the distances you're talking, any of the 4 calibers you've mentioned will be more than enough.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What load is that out of a 270? Because I can show you a 270 factory load that's out of steam at 350-400

It’s the 140 accubond. I’d be curious what 270 factory load is out of steam by 350. I’ve killed big mule deer one shot with a 25-06 at that distance using 117 SSTs.

brsnow

WKR

Take the .308, more than capable. I use a kimber .308. Hiking the mountains without needing a sling, just having the rifle in hand is a huge benefit.

I’d take the 7mm. I prefer slightly heavier rifles though. Heavy rifles suck to carry, but they ARE easier to shoot. At the end of the day, you are there to shoot elk not go backpacking right? Then again I carry a 10.2 lb rifle (suppressed and scoped.) The weight is worth the confidence in shooting it, but YMMV.

After my experiences last year I’d take the extra 20gr of bullet and energy as well. More likely to get good penetration and a solid blood trail. Given the extra weight, I would assume recoil would be similar between the two.

Bottom line, they will both probably do the job just fine.

I have became a fan of the .270 recently. It is a flat shooting rifle. 6.5 creed is what I would of preferred as it's one of the flatest shooting mass produced. However ammo isn't as readily available as others. Therefore I went with the 270. Mine was finicky with ammo. Had to shoot several different rounds to figure out which one my gun preferred. At different yardage my grouping would vary with various ammo. I got her dialed in perfectly and took a nice bill from unit 2 Colorado.
I am flirting with taking it on my moose hunt thus year.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

jimmy33

WKR
I have killed elk with a muzzleloader, a compound bow, and rifles in 300 WSM, 45-70, and .270. They all work. My favorite gun for mule deer, elk, and bear is my Tikka T3X in .270. Light, accurate, and easy to shoot. The only time I wish I had a bigger caliber is when I hunt north Idaho. However, instead of trading in the .270 Tikka, I carry a handgun. I love that rifle and feel confident in it. Which gun do you like best? Pick a good bullet for it and go hunting. Don’t overthink this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I'm a tried and true Win model 70 7mm RM guy for elk. Had the rifle for 30 years, just put an original Win composite stock on it which knocked its weight down to 9.2 pounds but if I had a sub 5 pound 308 you can sure bet I would be packing that around the mountains for elk. I've thought about a lighter rifle for elk but I just can't bring myself to stop packing the good old 7mm. I did purchase a light weight 25-06 for deer and antelope but I don't even look at bigger calibers in a light weight rifle for fear that I might never back my 7mm again.

Laramie

WKR
I am far from an expert but I have been part of a pile of elk kills. Anything you have will work imo. Take the gun you are most confident in as far as bullet placement goes. All things equal, I would take the .308. I'm a fan of .30 call for elk and a .308 inside of 300 is a great elk load.