7mm STW

Takeem406

WKR
Planning on building a lightweight STW with my tax return next spring. Anyone use one for backcountry hunting?
I really need something for long range deer and possibly elk. Pretty sold on the caliber. It would take a lot to change my mind on this.
I've seen a lot of guys running Senderos and other heavy rifles. I've got a heavy 22-250 and it's no fun to hunt with even for short walks. Can't even shoot it off hand.
Thinking of going with an 700 SPS and having it worked over. Probably put a Swarovski Z5 or a Vortex on it. I'd go Nightforce but they are way to heavy and expensive.
Any input?
Not worried about ammo. Not much different than any other caliber lately and I handload.

ST52v

WKR
My brother has a stw and he needs some new brass. I have been looking but it is hard to find. You might want to start looking for some now.

wapitibob

WKR
I have a 7STW in SPS and If I was to do it over, hoping to end up where I am now, I wouldn't bother buying the SPS. I would get in on the NWactionworks group buy for the action, buy a barrel, a stock, and put it all together. My SPS was junk, they replaced everything but the $2 stock and it ended up shooting 2" @200 on a good day and hundreds of load development shots down the tube. With a trued action and barrel, it's a .6" @200 and zero development.
On the flip side, there is the odd chance you'll get a factory shooter. The guys I talk with on longrangehunting that have factory shooters, are Sendero based.
Brass is running $150/100. Cheaper if you resize 8mm. The last thing i'd worry about is scope weight. You can more than make up the difference with stock and barrel contour.

Never have been a STW fan. Too over bore IMO.
I've a friend that just HAD to have a STW & I tried to talk him out of it then.
Well it took a few years, but he finally understood what I was saying about: in-efficiency, excessive throat erosion.

My advise, setup to the .300Ultra and never look back. Very popular choice for building LR rigs.
and forget the light-weight notion of a long range rifle. Accuracy & stiff, heavy contour barrels go hand in hand.
Hunt'nFish

Never have been a STW fan. Too over bore IMO.
I've a friend that just HAD to have a STW & I tried to talk him out of it then.
Well it took a few years, but he finally understood what I was saying about: in-efficiency, excessive throat erosion.

My advise, setup to the .300Ultra and never look back. Very popular choice for building LR rigs.
and forget the light-weight notion of a long range rifle. Accuracy & stiff, heavy contour barrels go hand in hand.
Hunt'nFish

While I agree that for the amount of powder you burn in a STW you aren't as efficient as other calipers, I disagree on the notion that you can't build a lightweight long range capable rifle. Heavy spiral fluting or deep straight fluting on a #5 or similar barrel is a good compromise. Or if you want to go top shelf get with me on our new carbon barreled rifles...

300 RUM is a good decision though they have a tough time reaching the lands on a factory rifle unless you install a Wyatt's box magazine.

What is your budget for a rifle?

Mike