7mm Rem Mag converted to 7PRC

RSC12

FNG
Hello,

I'm definitely very new to this stuff so go easy on me ;)

I'm just wondering how easy/what needs to happen to turn a 7mm Rem Mag into the 7PRC?

I have a newish tikka T3X polyfade edition that I'd consider changing into the new 7PRC as a fun project. I know I'd have to change the barrel to probably a 1:8twist but don't know what other work would have to be done by a gunsmith.

Besides being kinda fun to do I think it would be advantageous as I could probably get a shorter barrel (22 vs 24) and shoot heavier bullets with better velocity.

Additionally I am getting into reloading so ammunition shouldn't be a problem.

I currently hunt elk, moose, deer and bear with my 7RM and it does an excellent job. I shoot 160g accubonds and am about to try Barnes 145g LRX but would love to shoot Barnes 168gLRX which I already would need a new barrel for.

Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RSC

Not to dissuade from your project, but if you want to do anything to the gun and you want to shoot heavier 7mms and you plan to hand load, I'd just rebarrel with another 7mm mag with a tighter twist. You could go a little shorter as well if that's what interests you. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Gila

WKR
7 PRC won’t fit the Tikka action or the magazine. Handloads for the 7 PRC are (will be) between 3.4 and 3.6”. If you want to shoot the long and heavy bullets, the 7 SAUM may be your best bet since you have a magnum bolt. If you have a standard boldface (.473) the 284 Win would be an ideal cartridge to shoot the Barnes LRX. Unfortunately, the handloaded OAL may be too long for your 7 rem mag. You would want to rebarrel for a faster twist anyway.

Hello,

I'm definitely very new to this stuff so go easy on me ;)

I'm just wondering how easy/what needs to happen to turn a 7mm Rem Mag into the 7PRC?

I have a newish tikka T3X polyfade edition that I'd consider changing into the new 7PRC as a fun project. I know I'd have to change the barrel to probably a 1:8twist but don't know what other work would have to be done by a gunsmith.

Besides being kinda fun to do I think it would be advantageous as I could probably get a shorter barrel (22 vs 24) and shoot heavier bullets with better velocity.

Additionally I am getting into reloading so ammunition shouldn't be a problem.

I currently hunt elk, moose, deer and bear with my 7RM and it does an excellent job. I shoot 160g accubonds and am about to try Barnes 145g LRX but would love to shoot Barnes 168gLRX which I already would need a new barrel for.

Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RSC
The 7 prc is 3.34" according to saami.
It's a great fit for your tikka just get the mountain tactical long action magazine, rebarrel and that's it
https://www.mountaintactical.com/shop/tikka-t3t3x-gen2-billet-magazine-long-action-3-roun

Gila

WKR
The 7 prc is 3.34" according to saami.
It's a great fit for your tikka just get the mountain tactical long action magazine, rebarrel and that's it
https://www.mountaintactical.com/shop/tikka-t3t3x-gen2-billet-magazine-long-action-3-roun
OP wants to reload, the 7 PRC won’t fit the magazine.The longest reloads also approach the hard wall limit on the Tikka action which is 3.6”. Most production guns have a magazine length limit of 3.4”. Mountain Tactical makes Tikka bottom metal that will use AICS mags and get a COAL past 3.5” but short of 3.6”. The trigger housing and the action should be modified by a gunsmith. Cost of that solution including gunsmith work and only two AICS mags is approaching $600-700. Oh the stock inlet will need to be modified as well. Why not just buy a pre-fit barrel and shoot 7 SAUM? Will get the performance of the 7 PRC with handloads.

The whole advantage of the 7 PRC is that it can seat the bullets much farther out than the 7 RM without exceeding the 3.34" length. It's perfect for the Tikka action and magazine.

Gila

WKR
“At SAAMI length, the 7mm PRC will fit inside the 3.4” magazine boxes of last century’s design in SAAMI form. With the larger bullets, it will exceed the 3.4” magazine, but will not need a Wyatt’s box.”

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Hand load 168-180’s will be fine in a tikka. The 190+ heavies are where the length will be a problem.

Reactions: B23
OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I definitely need to talk to a gunsmith about the best possible solution. But the whole project definitely has me intrigued.

I'm hoping to be able to shoot the barnes 168lrx at some decent velocities which is why I'm thinking the PRC might be a little better then the 7RM. Either way I'll be putting a 1:8twist barrel on it.

OP wants to reload, the 7 PRC won’t fit the magazine.The longest reloads also approach the hard wall limit on the Tikka action which is 3.6”. Most production guns have a magazine length limit of 3.4”. Mountain Tactical makes Tikka bottom metal that will use AICS mags and get a COAL past 3.5” but short of 3.6”. The trigger housing and the action should be modified by a gunsmith. Cost of that solution including gunsmith work and only two AICS mags is approaching $600-700. Oh the stock inlet will need to be modified as well. Why not just buy a pre-fit barrel and shoot 7 SAUM? Will get the performance of the 7 PRC with handloads.
Yeah it'll work good with 180s in the tikka, it's pretty dumb though what hornady did with the 7 prc..
The case has a length that puts it in no man's land, it would make more sense to go a little shorter and fatter like a slightly longer wsm, or longer like the 7 LRM for more capacity.

Gila

WKR
Hand load 168-180’s will be fine in a tikka. The 190+ heavies are where the length will be a problem.
Not necessarily. The Barnes LRX is a very long bullet like the ELDs. If you look at the link I provided, the 180 ELD is too long when tuned and won’t fit in the magazine. I know you guys don’t understand how to tune your loads, but the first thing you do with a bullet is hit jam then back off 20 thousands. Then do your ladder test and get your velocity where you want it. Then sink the bullets 3 thousands, fire a 3 rd group and keep sinking the bullet every 3 thousands until the groups tighten up. Once tuned, almost guaranteed that you will exceed SAMMI COAL of 3.34” with the 7 PRC. This is nothing new....same issue with other long action cartridges when shooting high BC bullets. There are various bottom metal makers that address this COAL issue as I have already stated, and it is not a cheap solution. Do a search here on a COAL that exceeds magazine length....see for yourself!

BjornF16

WKR
IF I were to get a 7mm PRC, I’d run the 180 ELD-M and be done…I bet the factory Hornady Match ammo would be accurate enough and fit the Tikka mag

Gila

WKR
IF I were to get a 7mm PRC, I’d run the 180 ELD-M and be done…I bet the factory Hornady Match ammo would be accurate enough and fit the Tikka mag
Tikka mags are designed to shoot factory ammo up to a COAL of 3.34”. All factory ammo must be a max SAMMI coal of 3.34”. Obviously the factory ammo is not tuned for optimal accuracy. In some production rifles that factory ammo may shoot like crap. And you are limited by what is available, which isn’t much right now.

Gila

WKR
How many times do you need to be proven wrong before you get a clue and quit posting nonsense?
You don’t get it....you are like a fly that won’t go away...BUZZ OFF! I have had it with your BS! Get a clue!

svivian

WKR
Lol same couple dudes have to go to any and every 7prc thread and put their .02 on why it’s no good. We get it guys you don’t like it….move on

bmart2622

WKR
You don’t get it....you are like a fly that won’t go away...BUZZ OFF! I have had it with your BS! Get a clue!
You dont get it!!! Literally everything you have said about the 7PRC has been wrong, do some research or quit spreading misinformation

B23

WKR
IMO, there is no benefit to anything heavier than the 180's in this size case. I think the 180's is about the optimal bullet weight for the 7PRC and the 7PRC with 180's will work fine in a Tikka.

Also, you don't need anything faster than a 8.5tw barrel and if you shoot 180's and lighter a 9tw is all you need.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Not necessarily. The Barnes LRX is a very long bullet like the ELDs. If you look at the link I provided, the 180 ELD is too long when tuned and won’t fit in the magazine. I know you guys don’t understand how to tune your loads, but the first thing you do with a bullet is hit jam then back off 20 thousands. Then do your ladder test and get your velocity where you want it. Then sink the bullets 3 thousands, fire a 3 rd group and keep sinking the bullet every 3 thousands until the groups tighten up. Once tuned, almost guaranteed that you will exceed SAMMI COAL of 3.34” with the 7 PRC. This is nothing new....same issue with other long action cartridges when shooting high BC bullets. There are various bottom metal makers that address this COAL issue as I have already stated, and it is not a cheap solution. Do a search here on a COAL that exceeds magazine length....see for yourself!
You assume a lot. I’ve read everything you’ve read. I’ll confidently build a 7 prc on my tikka action and confident I’ll be able to work up an accurate load with 180 vld’s.

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
I’ll confidently build a 7 prc on my tikka action and confident I’ll be able to work up an accurate load with 180 vld’s.
And I'm confident you'll, easily, be able to work up an accurate load in your confidently built semi custom Tikka 7PRC. :)

This size case are generally pretty forgiving and have a fairly wide sweet spot. I don't have a 7PRC but my 7 Blaser is kind of like a fraternal twin to the 7 PRC and it has probably been one of the easiest rifles I've ever owned to keep in tune.